Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    I'll take your word for it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    Totting up my drafts. Not as much as it could have been after a clearout but now wondering how high can it go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    Getting a lot of schadenfreude from the current crypto collapse.

Hopefully it'll persuade people to stop malinvesting in a waste of time and energy, literally, and put there money somewhere more productive.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    Still $24k for one bitcoin. That cheers me up.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,208
    pblakeney said:

It's quite entertaining, and you can read them with neither subscribing nor disabling Javascript.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It's quite entertaining, and you can read them with neither subscribing nor disabling Javascript.
    Turns out that I can, now. I couldn't before. 🤔
    It's all a bit meh for me. Seems logical if they want a uniform and equality.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Hearing Tchaikovsky's 2nd Symphony on 'the wireless', and remembering conducting it in Rennes about 25 years ago. It also amuses me that we went to great trouble to take a large tam-tam, which has just one note in the whole piece, in the last movement, and the player missed his entry, so the tam-tam came home again completely unplayed. Oh well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,883

Hearing Tchaikovsky's 2nd Symphony on 'the wireless', and remembering conducting it in Rennes about 25 years ago. It also amuses me that we went to great trouble to take a large tam-tam, which has just one note in the whole piece, in the last movement, and the player missed his entry, so the tam-tam came home again completely unplayed. Oh well.

You had one job...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

You had one job...

To be fair, as we'd failed to recruit a proper percussionist, we'd arm-twisted a choir member into playing the cymbals and tamtam, thinking he could read music passably. Well, if he could, he couldn't count bars rest, so every cymbal clash I told him to watch me and I'd point at him. That mostly worked, even if it looked hilarious. When I pointed at him for the tamtam, he was nowhere near it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    edited June 2022

rjsterry said:

You had one job...

To be fair, as we'd failed to recruit a proper percussionist, we'd arm-twisted a choir member into playing the cymbals and tamtam, thinking he could read music passably. Well, if he could, he couldn't count bars rest, so every cymbal clash I told him to watch me and I'd point at him. That mostly worked, even if it looked hilarious. When I pointed at him for the tamtam, he was nowhere near it.
    Now there's finally something I could have played. Counting rest bars was my speciality playing E flat bass in the last years of my brass band 'career'.

Would have been better if he'd hit it in the wrong place, I think Rhod Gilbert did that on one of his work experience shows playing at Proms in the Park.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

You had one job...

Now there's finally something I could have played. Counting rest bars was my speciality playing E flat bass in the last years of my brass band 'career'.

Would have been better if he'd hit it in the wrong place, I think Rhod Gilbert did that on one of his work experience shows playing at Proms in the Park.

I was once standing by a bass drum player who failed to look at the conductor at the moment he put in a big pause... let's just say that the massive solo bass drum thwack was only a second or two earlier than the rest of the orchestra...
  • Pross
    Conductors are there to be ignored. Bunch of egotists waving their arms around :wink:
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Conductors are there to be ignored. Bunch of egotists waving their arms around :wink:

Seriously, what is the point of them? (genuine question)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082

Pross said:

With that many players people need a focal point, just to bring it all together. Else it's hard to know who leads.
  • Pross

Pross said:

As Rick says, it just pulls it all together. They can hear the whole thing so will let you know to pick up or drop the volume and make sure everyone stops and starts at the same point rather than relying on their own counting. With amateur choirs they also help a lot in reminding you of the words!
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Pross said:

As Rick says, it just pulls it all together. They can hear the whole thing so will let you know to pick up or drop the volume and make sure everyone stops and starts at the same point rather than relying on their own counting. With amateur choirs they also help a lot in reminding you of the words!
    Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if they could be replaced by a counter. I hadn't considered your volume point which sounds like something useful.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Pross said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if they could be replaced by a counter. I hadn't considered your volume point which sounds like something useful.
    Rick's got most of it, but it's also about the rehearsal, and developing a shared interpretation. There have been a few management studies about how the best conductors create a human dynamic which is co-operative, not dictatorial, and by building up trust they can take a large group of individuals with them, and get the best out of everyone. By the time of the performance, it shouldn't really be much about beating time, though that can be helpful in tricky acoustics where you can't hear everyone you'd like to.

There was a brilliant series about the truly great conductors several years ago... the top professionals actually only truly respect a very few conductors (the late Bernard Haitink was one)... too many are either bullies, or just not very good, but earning 10 times as much as the people who put their reputations on the line every time they play a note. It's a pretty brutal occupation at the top.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Yes, there's very much the balance thing too. I make a guess based on what's written in the part (and one's guesses get better with experience too), but the conductor will balance everyone's guesses - mostly in rehearsal, but a hand gesture or look in performance can still adjust, live.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Yes, there's very much the balance thing too. I make a guess based on what's written in the part (and one's guesses get better with experience too), but the conductor will balance everyone's guesses - mostly in rehearsal, but a hand gesture or look in performance can still adjust, live.
    Ah, the look. My old brass band conductor would glare at the offender and tug his ear to indicate a pitching issue (didn't get many as I was usually counting rest bars or faking playing) and my choir conductor glares and shakes his head which means 'you sound terrible, STFU' which I've also avoided so far!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952
    I heard a cuckoo today whilst sitting in my garden.

I lived in this house as a kid, and I can remember hearing one when I was about 10 or less. That's over 50 years ago and a couple of houses, so this was quite special.

The older I get, the better I was.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    ddraver said:
    Brilliant! I am just having to get one.
  • briantrumpet
    lesfirth said:

ddraver said:
    It's almost as big as the engine in my old Clio I think.

I did find the video mesmerising, but as I failed even with Meccano, I think I'd better give this a miss as a hobby.
  • briantrumpet
    With the £ falling further today, seeing when I bought my last lot of euros...

:)
  • ddraver

lesfirth said:

ddraver said:

I did find the video mesmerising, but as I failed even with Meccano, I think I'd better give this a miss as a hobby.
    Same, if you put the captions on it tells you what every part is. I thought the bottom of the engine was the top and got the starter motor and water pump mixed up so I probably shouldn't go anywhere near it.

They do do a V8 version too though!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Ah, the look. My old brass band conductor would glare at the offender and tug his ear to indicate a pitching issue (didn't get many as I was usually counting rest bars or faking playing) and my choir conductor glares and shakes his head which means 'you sound terrible, STFU' which I've also avoided so far!
    Remembering if I was supposed to bow or not was always my mistake - right at the end so you looked a total nobber too :(

Worse given that I had likely mimed the majority of it too...
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,528

lesfirth said:

ddraver said:

From an engineering point of view and having rebuilt a few engines, there was a lot missing. I presume that was for the sake of keeping the video short but I didn't see:

Any lubrication of the tappets
    Lubrication of the cam shaft lobes bar heaps of a high temp grease(?) after the assembly which does not guarantee contact lubrication between the cam and the tappets until oil is readily circulating at the right temp. , so the initial start up is a bit of a mechanical squeak - you would never do that in an engine
    Setting the piston scraper/compression ring gap opposite the thrust side
    A torque wrench
    An electric device to provide an initial bedding in
    A cam belt tension measuring device.
    He was far too liberal on the assembly oil. That stuff is viscous and excess lends nothing to cooling/lubrication
    (enough) Sequential tightening

Even though the engine is small, I would presume that all of the above would still matter. Unless of course he has little long term use for it beyond putting it in a display cabinet. Filmed for likes and subscribers and not a lot else.

The actual assembly looks pretty straight forward and any Joe with a bit of patience could do it.

This guy is good. Warped perception is a great channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpjrwULHYA
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,528
    I messaged him (On Faceache) about perhaps doing a video of the inside of a limited slip diff in action. He said he was 'working on it...' but we had a few conversations about the Rotary engine and other things.
    He knows his stuff (and is missing a digit!)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    pinno said:

lesfirth said:

ddraver said:

From an engineering point of view and having rebuilt a few engines, there was a lot missing. I presume that was for the sake of keeping the video short but I didn't see:

Any lubrication of the tappets
    Lubrication of the cam shaft lobes bar heaps of a high temp grease(?) after the assembly which does not guarantee contact lubrication between the cam and the tappets until oil is readily circulating at the right temp. , so the initial start up is a bit of a mechanical squeak - you would never do that in an engine
    Setting the piston scraper/compression ring gap opposite the thrust side
    A torque wrench
    An electric device to provide an initial bedding in
    A cam belt tension measuring device.
    He was far too liberal on the assembly oil. That stuff is viscous and excess lends nothing to cooling/lubrication
    (enough) Sequential tightening

Even though the engine is small, I would presume that all of the above would still matter. Unless of course he has little long term use for it beyond putting it in a display cabinet. Filmed for likes and subscribers and not a lot else.

The actual assembly looks pretty straight forward and any Joe with a bit of patience could do it.

This guy is good. Warped perception is a great channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpjrwULHYA
    When you look at the complexity of a dinosaur squeezing's engine compared to the smooth efficient instant torque of a brushless motor, they are a triumph in overengineered futility by comparison. I know the batteries still need to evolve, but it's coming.