Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    My tankful of petrol (refilled March) will make it through to June now. The next tankful should see me through to the autumn sometime. By then I expect the petrol in the tank will be worth more than the Almera it's in.
  • briantrumpet
    Seeing the Streetview van drive past a couple of months ago. Then checking today.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400

Seeing the Streetview van drive past a couple of months ago. Then checking today.

I have that from 2009 when I was helping to build my house extension. Forever proof I was involved :)
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    At my mums house it has a photo of her and my late grandmother in the driveway
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    My new role at work is great so far.

It's probably more work and more stressful on paper but I am master of my own destiny (I decide what, when and how I do anything, finally) and I am finding that I am, counter-intuitively, less emotionally involved.

This in turn is making the volume of work required easier to do as it is much less emotionally draining, and I am not compromised by having to bend to various whims which are much less efficient.
  • briantrumpet

My new role at work is great so far.

It's probably more work and more stressful on paper but I am master of my own destiny (I decide what, when and how I do anything, finally) and I am finding that I am, counter-intuitively, less emotionally involved.

This in turn is making the volume of work required easier to do as it is much less emotionally draining, and I am not compromised by having to bend to various whims which are much less efficient.

Fingers crossed that remains the case.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    "Bongbong Marcos poised to win presidency"

Childish, but it does simply cheer me up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    arthur hanson
    2 days ago

The crypto craze is now going into the hurt stage and like musical chairs, the last ones in will get hurt the most. Allowing crypto with little or no regulation now has been revealed as a Ponzi scheme that was always doomed to blow up. Anyone or any entity could make one up and the more they proliferated, the more dangerous the game became to everyone as the misallocation of capital became extreme. Now, I'm just waiting to see class action lawsuits proliforate as everyone will be looking to blame everyone else and not look in the mirror. The damage will effect everyone in all financial markets as faith in the "System" is going to suffer damage, we can only hope it is handled properly by regulators and governments that were asleep at the switch.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Freecycled a PC power supply unit, part of the clear out, good nick, not needed, maybe somebody can use.

Young guy just collected, he and his mate on good spec road bikes and in full kit. Happy that a younger generation rider gets something of value he can make use of.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    pinno said:

arthur hanson
    2 days ago

The crypto craze is now going into the hurt stage and like musical chairs, the last ones in will get hurt the most. Allowing crypto with little or no regulation now has been revealed as a Ponzi scheme that was always doomed to blow up. Anyone or any entity could make one up and the more they proliferated, the more dangerous the game became to everyone as the misallocation of capital became extreme. Now, I'm just waiting to see class action lawsuits proliforate as everyone will be looking to blame everyone else and not look in the mirror. The damage will effect everyone in all financial markets as faith in the "System" is going to suffer damage, we can only hope it is handled properly by regulators and governments that were asleep at the switch.

Bitcoin is still worth around $30k.
  • pinno
    Not according to Barron's.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/bitcoin-ether-terra-luna-tether-crypto-prices-today-51652342984?tesla=y#:~:text=The price of Bitcoin BTCUSD,the trough of volatile trading.

It may domino. Well, one hopes it does.
    Given the obscene amount of energy required to mine crypto currencies and the obscene amount of money people have made on it, I hope it crashes as investors pull out. If they panic, you never know.
    It is (as described above) a ponzi scheme. The sooner it collapses, the better.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Better if it collapses before it's too big to fail.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

That little bow window 😍.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

That little bow window 😍.

House in the middle here. I think it's a bit of a fantasy creation from an old house, but not sure.

• pinno

But who would be prepared to prop it up and to what end?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    pinno said:

I hope we never find out.
  • pinno

pinno said:

I hope we never find out.
    Indeed. Nothing financial can maintain such disproportionate growth indefinitely and I cannot comprehend the value of something with no link to tangible production or outcome.
    Apple shares are high because of the product and market share, global reach etc
    BP share price (currently soaring) is high because of the current conditions.
    Bitcoins and any crypto currency has risen in value due solely to demand (from what I can glean from it) and little else.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Last night attending a performance by my F-in-Law's orchestra they had a guest cellist who was just 14. She was incredible. Such talent at such an age
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Blackthorn blossoms appearing in the hedgerows and bare trees turning to leaf in spring.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited May 2022
    dombo6 said:

Blackthorn blossoms appearing in the hedgerows and bare trees turning to leaf in spring.

Yep, it's a great time of year, all to look forward to. I don't mind our seasons though.
  • briantrumpet
    Finding a decent close parking space in Topsham for the Almera, given that I might not drive it again before September. Hedged my bets on the future price of petrol yesterday, putting in £25's-worth, as I needed to put some in anyway.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567
    Nice job Brian.

• briantrumpet
    masjer said:

Nice job Brian.

See, if it's raining, I won't get water in the driver's side when I open the door.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567
    I do feel for the guy, but but..........sorry couldn't help myself.

BBC sport headlines:
    Giro d'Italia: Biniam Girmay becomes first black African to win Grand Tour stage.

Biniam Girmay abandons Giro after bizarre cork accident.

@sungod give him some tips.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

I do feel for the guy, but but..........sorry couldn't help myself.

BBC sport headlines:
    Giro d'Italia: Biniam Girmay becomes first black African to win Grand Tour stage.

Biniam Girmay abandons Giro after bizarre cork accident.

@sungod give him some tips.

Pull him out, the timing was perfect. A bit like thoroughbred race horses; as soon as they look like they might loose, pull them out 'cos you're only going to halve the stud value if they do.
    In this case, the sponsors are queueing at the door of Wanty Gobert.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

What I would give for cycling to have riders this outspoken on their opinions of others. Outstanding punditry - and he’s still playing!!!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Just listened to Jon and Vangelis (RIP) "I'll Find My Way Home" (thank you ooh Gary Davies) for first time in long time. That is so good.

However, is from 1981. eff me, I'm getting old.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    His soundtrack to Blade Runner was excellent, and this interpretation of Blade Runner Blues with Chuck Findley on flugelhorn is just sublime. One for @briantrumpet perhaps

https://youtu.be/2Ky8P0dyfsg
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Doing my post ride clean due to mucky water run-off and seeing a mulched up wasp on my chainring.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Doing my post ride clean due to mucky water run-off and seeing a mulched up wasp on my chainring.

He was probably sat on in singing 'we have all the time in the world' :wink: