Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    morstar said:

pinno said:

Oh those dark chocolate hobnobs are even better.

Philistine!
    I've been called worse.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Military history cheers me up.

In 45 seconds Alan de Cadanet explains that we were working on Spitfires before Sept 3rd 1939. Louder the better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

I remember a similar one to this where the reporter got hit by the wing. It made a dent, fortunately on a more deform-able portion of the leading edge, a couple of inches to either side and it would have been a spa that hit him and probably would have resulted in death

The older I get, the better I was.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    capt_slog said:

Military history cheers me up.

In 45 seconds Alan de Cadanet explains that we were working on Spitfires before Sept 3rd 1939. Louder the better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

I remember a similar one to this where the reporter got hit by the wing. It made a dent, fortunately on a more deform-able portion of the leading edge, a couple of inches to either side and it would have been a spa that hit him and probably would have resulted in death
    Being hit by a whole spa, steam room, sauna and all, would definitely be fatal. 😁
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    The weather, incredible!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,802
    Not having to go abroad when you can’t go abroad.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Trump's tweet getting hidden due to breaking Twitter's rules.
    Stocking up on popcorn for the reaction.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Not that trivial, but the UK's new HK policy, and China's reaction.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Trump's tweet getting hidden due to breaking Twitter's rules.
    Stocking up on popcorn for the reaction.

not sure Twitter can survive without Trump, then again leading up to re-election is when he needs them
  • pinno
    At least he's handling the Minnesota situation really well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Fox cubs having a great time tonight.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I like to find my Weetabix pack with 6 or 9 remaining. If it's a new sleeve then I have to open it. If there's 3 left then I have to throw away the wrapper.
  • pinno

I like to find my Weetabix pack with 6 or 9 remaining. If it's a new sleeve then I have to open it. If there's 3 left then I have to throw away the wrapper.

I have a bigger problem in that I normally eat 4. Theoretically, I have to either open or throw away a wrapper 2 out of 3 'visits'.

This is bearable and predictable but when the toots have 2 or sometimes 3, it can go pear shaped.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    pinno said:

I like to find my Weetabix pack with 6 or 9 remaining. If it's a new sleeve then I have to open it. If there's 3 left then I have to throw away the wrapper.

I have a bigger problem in that I normally eat 4. Theoretically, I have to either open or throw away a wrapper 2 out of 3 'visits'.

This is bearable and predictable but when the toots have 2 or sometimes 3, it can go pear shaped.

I hate that, I always have 3 which works well (although it apparently makes me greedy and I should only have 2). Then, very rarely, the wife or one of the kids have 1 or 2 and it throws it out.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Aching limbs.
    Knowing that you've trained hard.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,547
    The Weetabix in the house is all mine so I have 3 every time I eat the stuff and it works perfectly. Anyone else like the Weetabix with the little chocolatey bits in it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

The Weetabix in the house is all mine so I have 3 every time I eat the stuff and it works perfectly. Anyone else like the Weetabix with the little chocolatey bits in it?

Yuck.
  • capt_slog
    Home made bread.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pinno said:

Family members failing to respect cereal etiquette is in no way trivial.

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

Home made bread.

Lockdown occurs and people start learning to make bread then are so chuffed with themselves, they post pics in the internet [insert rolling eyes icon].
    I've been making bread for donkey's.

But, if it cheers you up...

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Glad I turned down the lucrative offer to live in NYC all those years ago.
  • pblakeney
    Ooooo. Yes!
    Glad I turned down the lucrative offer to live in London a few years ago.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,547
    Glad I didn't :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    The smell of the barbecue and getting the food cooked just right
  • capt_slog
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

Home made bread.

Lockdown occurs and people start learning to make bread then are so chuffed with themselves, they post pics in the internet [insert rolling eyes icon].

I've been doing the same for ages too. During the current situation my local supermarket has suddenly started selling fresh yeast, which i haven't seen for years.

And yes, it does cheer me up.

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

Home made bread.

I've been doing the same for ages too. During the current situation my local supermarket has suddenly started selling fresh yeast, which i haven't seen for years.

And yes, it does cheer me up.
    Fresh yeast? Never used it. Is it better?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Related. The number of diet "experts" on TV and online that express shock that bread has sugar on the ingredients list. Perhaps making bread will enlighten them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    mrfpb said:

Related. The number of diet "experts" on TV and online that express shock that bread has sugar on the ingredients list. Perhaps making bread will enlighten them.

If you "cook from scratch" bread and pasta are raw ingredients. Not processed at all. Much in the same way that cheese, milk, yoghurt etc. are not processed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    edited June 2020
    mrfpb said:

can't say i've ever added sugar to a bread dough.

Can't stand baking though.

Cooking - great. Baking. Awful.
  • pinno
    Oh but the smell of home made bread coming out of your oven...
  • pblakeney
    Finding out that processed cheese is no longer processed cheese if it is used as an ingredient when "cooking from scratch".
    Veronese68 wrote: