Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    pblakeney said:

Finding out that processed cheese is no longer processed cheese if it is used as an ingredient when "cooking from scratch".

That's the spirit
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    What is "processed cheese"? Is that Cheese like wot one buys in a shop? Or is it that garbage type stuff that used to come in a tube? Or any USAnian so-called 'cheese'?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    orraloon said:

What is "processed cheese"? Is that Cheese like wot one buys in a shop? Or is it that garbage type stuff that used to come in a tube? Or any USAnian so-called 'cheese'?

Wiki is your friend on this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese
  • orraloon

orraloon said:

Yuck.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

orraloon said:

indeed. The other type grows on trees and isn't processed at all.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    In Sweden, they have this stuff that comes in tubes, rather like the tomato Puree we have here. It's a sort of cheese. You spread it on crispbread or toast or bread. It's absolutely foul.
    It's called 'Kalles Kaviar'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalles_Kaviar
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557

mrfpb said:

Related. The number of diet "experts" on TV and online that express shock that bread has sugar on the ingredients list. Perhaps making bread will enlighten them.

If you "cook from scratch" bread and pasta are raw ingredients. Not processed at all. Much in the same way that cheese, milk, yoghurt etc. are not processed.
    They're probably the same people who claim to have given up carbs but continue to eat fruit and veg (and pretty much everything else as very little is completely carb free). I also seem to remember Chris Evans when he was on Radio 2 had eliminated sugar from his diet but was eating fruit.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    pinno said:

In Sweden, they have this stuff that comes in tubes, rather like the tomato Puree we have here. It's a sort of cheese. You spread it on crispbread or toast or bread. It's absolutely foul.
    It's called 'Kalles Kaviar'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalles_Kaviar

That look like Primula to me. Always loved that at my nan's squeezed down a celery stalk. Happy memories!
  • pinno
    Pross said:

...had eliminated sugar from his diet but was eating fruit.

Isn't that slightly unfair? I mean, fruit contains vitamins and minerals. Added sugars (purified white, corn syrup etc), have Zero nutritional value. Corn syrup for example, is addictive and places enormous demand on the pancreas. Are you suggesting that to cut all sugars out of your diet you shouldn't well... eat?!

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pinno said:

Added sugars (purified white, corn syrup etc), have Zero nutritional value. Corn syrup for example, is addictive and places enormous demand on the pancreas. Are you suggesting that to cut all sugars out of your diet you shouldn't well... eat?!

Well, corn syrup is essentially glucose, i.e. the single thing that your body actually uses to transport energy in your bloodstream. So it's universally acknowledged that too much sugar of any sort, natural or otherwise, is not good for you, but to say it has "zero nutritional value", with or without the emphatic capital, is a bit misleading, no?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    pinno said:

Pross said:

...had eliminated sugar from his diet but was eating fruit.

Isn't that slightly unfair? I mean, fruit contains vitamins and minerals. Added sugars (purified white, corn syrup etc), have Zero nutritional value. Corn syrup for example, is addictive and places enormous demand on the pancreas. Are you suggesting that to cut all sugars out of your diet you shouldn't well... eat?!

No, I'm suggesting saying you've stopped eating sugar is silly when it's present in most things and what is really meant is you've stopped adding sugar or eating products containing refined sugar. It's part of the same issue as the bread and pasta thing that BB mentioned, people read things online and in magazines and follow the trend without actually understanding what they're doing.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

...people read things online and in magazines and follow the trend without actually understanding what they're doing.

What?!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,673
    pinno said:

Pross said:

...people read things online and in magazines and follow the trend without actually understanding what they're doing.

What?!

I mean without that this place would be a bit quiet. 😏
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

Home made bread.

Lockdown occurs and people start learning to make bread then are so chuffed with themselves, they post pics in the internet [insert rolling eyes icon].
    I've been making bread for donkey's.

But, if it cheers you up...

I've been doing the same for ages too. During the current situation my local supermarket has suddenly started selling fresh yeast, which i haven't seen for years.

And yes, it does cheer me up.
    Fresh yeast? Never used it. Is it better?
    I think so.

Unlike the stuff that you just add as a powder*, this one you have to get going in some warm milk or water witha bit of sugar. It has a nice smell when it starts, and a flavour you don't get with the dried.

*I know there is a dried type that you can also start the same way, but I've never used or seen that.

The use of live yeast takes me back to when I was a nipper. I used to visit the 'old' lady down the road, this was in the days when we knew the occupants of the 50 houses in the avenue by name. She made bread every day, and her kitchen always smelled of yeast and bread. happy days.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

Home made bread.

Lockdown occurs and people start learning to make bread then are so chuffed with themselves, they post pics in the internet [insert rolling eyes icon].
    I've been making bread for donkey's.

But, if it cheers you up...

I've been doing the same for ages too. During the current situation my local supermarket has suddenly started selling fresh yeast, which i haven't seen for years.

And yes, it does cheer me up.
    Fresh yeast? Never used it. Is it better?
    I think so.

Unlike the stuff that you just add as a powder*, this one you have to get going in some warm milk or water witha bit of sugar. It has a nice smell when it starts, and a flavour you don't get with the dried.

*I know there is a dried type that you can also start the same way, but I've never used or seen that.

The use of live yeast takes me back to when I was a nipper. I used to visit the 'old' lady down the road, this was in the days when we knew the occupants of the 50 houses in the avenue by name. She made bread every day, and her kitchen always smelled of yeast and bread. happy days.

There are some recipe's (Naan bread for example) that use dried yeast in warm water. In fact, when I started making dough for bread and Pizza bases, I was told to put the dried yeast in warm milk or water. I found that sometimes it would not react but would react later when proving. Odd. I gave up with that method (and the fact that the whole process is elongated) because the dried yeast is so consistent.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    @pinno

From the Allinson website...

Allinson Traditional Dried Active Yeast is compressed yeast from which the moisture has been removed. It needs to be reactivated with water before use and is recommended for traditional hand baking and not for use in bread making machines.

different to...

Allinson Easy Bake Yeast is a combination of dried yeast with the bread improver Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Ascorbic Acid guarantees the fast action of the yeast, allowing a quick rise and eliminating the need to 'knock back' the dough. The dough will only require one kneading and one period of proving. The yeast can be added with the flour straight from the pack and will become activated as soon as it comes into contact with the liquid. Allinson Easy Bake Yeast is perfect for use in bread makers as well as in hand baking.

It wasn't until i looked up how to use fresh yeast that I found this out. I thought all dried stuff was the same.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    edited June 2020
    Interesting.

Though, I failed when I didn't 'knock back' the dough after proving. So I do that anyway. I'm quite chuffed with my bread. I reckon it took me roughly 18 months to get the right texture, moisture and flavour. I don't use a bread making machine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Isn't a bread making machine just a small oven that clutters up the kitchen?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited June 2020
    Supermarkets where you can just buy quality products so you don't have to faff about thinking your Jamie fookin Cookin Oliver!
  • pinno
    Has the parrot been trained to say 'più veloce, più veloce, più veloce'?
  • pblakeney
    More likely - Siamo arrivati? Siamo arrivati? Siamo arrivati?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,673
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Finally, finally able to access my account since the change of hosting site

Have I missed anything?

Is it still Wiggle’s fault?
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2020

Is it still Wiggle’s fault?

Not for a while. Start with China and work your way down.
    Following the money is usually the most successful method.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    Really good mashed potato.

Is that trivial?
  • pinno
    Nothing like really good mash.
    Best served with sausages cooked in an onion and one sauce.

I have spuds growing in the garden. They'll make top mash.
  • pinno

Have I missed anything?

Err, no.

• orraloon
    Browsing on a 'borrowed' Netflix and finding The Blues Brothers. Such a good film, been many years since I've seen it. Aretha, James Brown, Ray Charles, Belushi, Ackroyd... xxxx I enjoyed that.
  • pinno
    edited June 2020
    I still haven't sourced any of those rubber biscuits yet.