Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,001
    Realising that I could put as much garlic as I want in my roast leg of lamb tonight, and my pupils won't smell my breath tomorrow.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,715
    Also The Rythym Vampire Isn't Gonna Get You
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    elbowloh said:

OK, so we've fallen for it and got Disney+.
    So far Bompetta (10yo) hasn't watched anything but I stayed up a bit too late last night watching Avengers movies I haven't seen... :*

Yeah we did the 7 day free trial and kept it going. As well as the classic Disney stuff there some class films from my childhood like "Adventures in Baby Sitting" and Tron to watch.
    ... until I try to get the Disney app on the TV and discover that my (in my eyes) ridiculously fancy and new-fangled Smart TV is too old to install it. 😡
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,842
    There are plug in items for that.
    My TV is 16 years old. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,353
    pblakeney said:

My TV is 16 years old. 😱

About 3 years ago there was a conversation about telly's at work. Some were amazed we still had a CRT TV in the front room, we only had two in a family of four and that one of them hadn't been connected for a few months. One chap had five in a two bedroom flat with two adults and a baby. They used the TV to help get the baby to sleep.
    I decided there was definitely an inverse proportion between number of tellys and intelligence. We have now got a modern flat scren TV though.
  • bompington

About 3 years ago there was a conversation about telly's at work. Some were amazed we still had a CRT TV in the front room, we only had two in a family of four and that one of them hadn't been connected for a few months. One chap had five in a two bedroom flat with two adults and a baby. They used the TV to help get the baby to sleep.
    I decided there was definitely an inverse proportion between number of tellys and intelligence. We have now got a modern flat scren TV though.

Hence the definition of middle class: someone whose bookcase is bigger than their TV.

Ours was actually a gift from friends who were moving to Canada and therefore couldn't take 240V electrics with them. If not we would probably still have our old CRT set , itself a gift from someone (let's just say that it was someone who probably didn't have a bigger bookcase ;)) who was upgrading to a bigger, better and flatter one.
    pblakeney said:

My TV is 16 years old. 😱

So I've worked that out already - just annoying that, after the pleasant surprise of D+'s affordability, I'm going to have to pay for a dongle to make it work. I don't mind watching on the Pc's monitor but that's not really a goer for family viewing.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Got rid of our CRT TV a year and a bit ago (SMART TV was Christmas pressie for the family). We manged with SCART and more elaborate "magic box" devices until we absolutely needed a HDMI - the SCART to HDMI adapter wasn't cutting it for the newest device.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

My TV is 16 years old. 😱

Yeah, i use a Amazon Firestick.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,645
    Pross said:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/photo-gifts/photo-jigsaw

I've gone for a 1000 piece of this photo

Delivery is due in a few days which will be just over 2 weeks after ordering

It's arrived 😀

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Pross said:

It's arrived 😀

Send it back!

Looks nothing like the picture. :)
  • Pross
    morstar said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

It's arrived 😀

Send it back!

Looks nothing like the picture. :)
    Think it broke in the post. No, it's from Germany and therefore without fault 😉
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Hence the definition of middle class: someone whose bookcase is bigger than their TV.

Ours was actually a gift from friends who were moving to Canada and therefore couldn't take 240V electrics with them. If not we would probably still have our old CRT set , itself a gift from someone (let's just say that it was someone who probably didn't have a bigger bookcase ;)) who was upgrading to a bigger, better and flatter one.
    pblakeney said:

My TV is 16 years old. 😱

So I've worked that out already - just annoying that, after the pleasant surprise of D+'s affordability, I'm going to have to pay for a dongle to make it work. I don't mind watching on the Pc's monitor but that's not really a goer for family viewing.
    I would use a Chromecast - well worth £20 of anybody’s money
  • Pross
    Finding a piece of floor insulation I didn't throw out when clearing out the shed that I've been able to cut down to a perfect board for the new jigsaw.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,412
    Here's an easy 5000 piece one for you Pross.

Come on; don't say you haven't got the time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    Spring coming on nicely round here
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,353
    Pross said:

Pross said:

It's arrived 😀

Very nice. The EPO is doing one of a picture the female child took, we only ordered her a 500 piece though

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    edited April 2020
    My roller miles for the day.

:)

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    That reminds me. The other day my Garmin showed....
    Time 17:00, temperature 17.0, average speed 17.0. Made me smile.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    edited April 2020
    capt_slog said:

You been mucking with the calibration?
    I gave my missus a good telling off when the 10 O'Clock news came on at 10.15 the other day. I told her to stop mucking around with the telly.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    What cheers me up? Whenever I get down in the dumps and think the world is going to hell I simply flip through a bike mag or a golf mag. After looking at some of the new products being offered and touted as the "greatest", I sit back and smile , realizing that the world hasn't changed at all. There is still a sucker born every minute.
  • morstar
    dennisn said:

What cheers me up? Whenever I get down in the dumps and think the world is going to hell I simply flip through a bike mag or a golf mag. After looking at some of the new products being offered and touted as the "greatest", I sit back and smile , realizing that the world hasn't changed at all. There is still a sucker born every minute.

I'm with you there. I don't dispute that technology has moved on in all sports but some of the claims are plain nonsense.

If I were to add up all the time savings a modern helmet, wheels etc. supposedly give me, I'd be an elite rider. Err, no!

Funnily enough, I've done quite a few triathlons and have debated this many times with triathletes. They really are an equipment obsessed bunch.

Biggest issue I have with modern stuff is built in obsolescence. I think avoiding that is my primary objective these days. A few seconds here or there is irrelevant to me as a mid pack participant in sport. Any future bike I buy will use established standards in all areas if possible.
  • capt_slog
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

I gave my missus a good telling off when the 10 O'Clock news came on at 10.15 the other day. I told her to stop mucking around with the telly.
    No, it's genuine . Does this help?

I checked the speedo against a GPS before i started, and it was giving the right numbers.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    dennisn said:

I tend to think to myself

"I can't play the violin, would spending a million on a Stradivarius make me play like Vengerov or Heifitz?"

Then I ask myself "would having (name of pro)'s kit make me ride as fast as (name of pro)?"

I think the better you are at an activity, the more you appreciate the marginal differences in kit.

And there is a part of the modern psyche that believes just spending the money can make us better, hence the millions wasted on gym memberships every January.
  • capt_slog
    There's a really good graphic somewhere which I can't find now.

It shows the cost of really good wheels (in terms of weight saving) against speed gained.
    Then a lightweight frame, again cost (weight) to speed gained.
    Finally, the rider losing excess weight, costs nothing but makes a huge difference.

• pblakeney
    Why waste effort instead of money? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    capt_slog said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

No, it's genuine . Does this help?

I checked the speedo against a GPS before i started, and it was giving the right numbers.
    Hats off to you.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    morstar said:

dennisn said:

I'm with you there. I don't dispute that technology has moved on in all sports but some of the claims are plain nonsense.

If I were to add up all the time savings a modern helmet, wheels etc. supposedly give me, I'd be an elite rider. Err, no!

Funnily enough, I've done quite a few triathlons and have debated this many times with triathletes. They really are an equipment obsessed bunch.

Biggest issue I have with modern stuff is built in obsolescence. I think avoiding that is my primary objective these days. A few seconds here or there is irrelevant to me as a mid pack participant in sport. Any future bike I buy will use established standards in all areas if possible.

I remember when I used to be a golfist that someone added up the 'Extra Yards' claims made by Taylor Made over a number of years when they released each new Driver. It added up to about 200 yards.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I had my clubs nicked and insurance bought me brand new, so seven years newer and far more expensive. They had a much bigger sweet spot so making me far more consistent.

To non golfists it was more like swapping a mountain bike for an Allez
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    morstar said:

dennisn said:

How do you do that? I never thought 26 inch wheels on my MTB would become obsolete.
  • morstar

morstar said:

dennisn said:

How do you do that? I never thought 26 inch wheels on my MTB would become obsolete.
    There’s no guarantees but it’s easy to avoid anything with word integrated as a good starting point.
    I read, irreplaceable in about 3 years.