Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can't deny this was spot on from the dossier:

- Reputational Risk if we exit: It is very likely that the client would “go public” if we exited him.

To add to my question above; given the confidentiality, if they hadn't exited him then it would not be public knowledge that he was a Coutts customer so however newsworthy and unpalatable he is seen to be, its not a reputational issue for the bank to have him as a client.

I don't remember seeing anything in the news associating Farage with Coutts until they tried to exit him.
    The dossier says that he had made it public knowledge, so I assume he had.

I don't honestly see why anyone would care who he banks with.
    Agree with you there. Even if it was public knowledge but it was just business as usual with him as a client, it would not be an issue. It was the debanking that caused the problem.
    I disagree. It was discussing any details of a customer with the press that caused the problem.
    That clearly was a big issue, but it would not have happened if they hadn't been debanking him. Rose told the journo why they were doing it, so reasonable to assume that the breach of confidentiality would not have otherwise taken place. Which takes us back to my point above...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited July 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

- Reputational Risk if we exit: It is very likely that the client would “go public” if we exited him.

To add to my question above; given the confidentiality, if they hadn't exited him then it would not be public knowledge that he was a Coutts customer so however newsworthy and unpalatable he is seen to be, its not a reputational issue for the bank to have him as a client.

I don't remember seeing anything in the news associating Farage with Coutts until they tried to exit him.

Agree with you there. Even if it was public knowledge but it was just business as usual with him as a client, it would not be an issue. It was the debanking that caused the problem.
    I disagree. It was discussing any details of a customer with the press that caused the problem.
    That clearly was a big issue, but it would not have happened if they hadn't been debanking him. Rose told the journo why they were doing it, so reasonable to assume that the breach of confidentiality would not have otherwise taken place. Which takes us back to my point above...
    Keep pulling that logic thread. If he wasn't, to sum up the three risks they highlight, a bell-end - they would not have closed his account.

People get their accounts closed all the time. That is not an issue. The debate is on whether you think their reasons are legitimate. The doc seems fairly balanced to me.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This argument is bonkers Stevo. Breach of confidentiality is not ok. It is not ok in its own right, not because of whatever confidentiality got breached.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

Apparently NatWest profits have soared...

Yeah I think the consensus was Alison was a good leader for the firm.

I guess any war, real or rhetorical, has collateral casualties and her career is one of them.
    so you would be happy with your bank manager discussing your finances with the local rag?

I don't have much of a problem with closing his acct but she needed to go for a breach of condidentiality. I would also say that every board member who backed the decision to keep her should go.
    That's sort of irrelevant. The point I'm making is Farage made the fuss for political reasons, not for banking reasons.

He's trying to articulate that the establishment and institutions are no longer naturally rightward leaning and instead have been captured by the 'woke' left.

Ms Rose ended up getting caught in the process of doing that; maybe she made an error, maybe she didn't.

But let's face it, she wasn't put in as CEO to have to fend off politicians making political points out of their own bank account (or lack of).
    I thought the accepted version of events was that she told a BBC reporter that the main reason they closed his account was because of funds.

That doesn't sound like she maybe made an error.
    It's irrelevant. I get that the CEO is ultimately on the hook for anything the firm does, but running the bank successfully to profitability rates higher in my worthiness of the job than having to deal with Farage getting a load of pensioners exercised.

Farage is just articulating a political vibe on the right and it just so happens the opportunity he found was with Coutts and Natwest.

She got caught up in his politics and her career has suffered. She's collateral.
    No it is not irrelevant. It's a no comment statement every day of the week.

"We do not discuss the confidential nature of our clients and their accounts with us"

NOT

"He's too poor to bank with us."

It's a shame she's gone but surely anyone can see that's an extremely stupid comment
    Sure, but come on, this was started by Farage doing something pretty weird, and has ended up putting her in this position, right?

My point is Farage is making politics out of something and because it's about the firm she runs, she's ended up in the firing line.

It's collateral political damage.
    He did not put a gun to her head and force her to disclose why NatWest closed his account.

She put herself in this position and frankly to do something so utterly stupid makes me wonder how she was made CEO.

Often the way to make these things blow over is to repeat 'no comment' and disappear.

Now NatWest and more importantly, Coutts' customers have serious and genuine confidentiality concens.
    why can't people see this rather than going back on the woke leftie trail?

she made a serious error of judgement and so did the Board in backing her
    By people, I think you mean Rick and the board. Everyone else is pretty clear on it.
    Why did it capture the interest of the public, when millions of others get debanked all the time?
    You've nicely reconfirmed the point SC was making.
    You'll have to explain this to me as I don't understand.
    she made a serious error of judgement and so did the Board in backing her

This means that the Dame Alison Rose made a serious error of judgement by disclosing confidential information.

why can't people see this rather than going back on the woke leftie trail?

This means that people (in this case you) can't accept the above error of judgement without going back to Farage, debanking, who he is etc.

That’s not really what I’m talking about. I’m talking about stuff that happened *before* all of that. For what I’m talking about what NatWest did or didn’t do is irrelevant.

NatWest only felt obliged to answer (wrongly or not) because it got coverage to begin with.

So why did it get coverage in the first place? The wokey vibe thing was already the fuel and Farage lit it. That’s my point.
    It is what surrey-commuter was talking about though which has relevance in a discussion about the "point SC was making".
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Stevo_666 said:

I don't give a hoot who he banks with, but I'm unlikely to open a Coutts account in the near or even distant future, so my opinion on the matter doesn't really matter.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited July 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

I guess any war, real or rhetorical, has collateral casualties and her career is one of them.
    so you would be happy with your bank manager discussing your finances with the local rag?

I don't have much of a problem with closing his acct but she needed to go for a breach of condidentiality. I would also say that every board member who backed the decision to keep her should go.
    That's sort of irrelevant. The point I'm making is Farage made the fuss for political reasons, not for banking reasons.

He's trying to articulate that the establishment and institutions are no longer naturally rightward leaning and instead have been captured by the 'woke' left.

Ms Rose ended up getting caught in the process of doing that; maybe she made an error, maybe she didn't.

But let's face it, she wasn't put in as CEO to have to fend off politicians making political points out of their own bank account (or lack of).
    I thought the accepted version of events was that she told a BBC reporter that the main reason they closed his account was because of funds.

It's irrelevant. I get that the CEO is ultimately on the hook for anything the firm does, but running the bank successfully to profitability rates higher in my worthiness of the job than having to deal with Farage getting a load of pensioners exercised.

Farage is just articulating a political vibe on the right and it just so happens the opportunity he found was with Coutts and Natwest.

She got caught up in his politics and her career has suffered. She's collateral.

"We do not discuss the confidential nature of our clients and their accounts with us"

NOT

It's a shame she's gone but surely anyone can see that's an extremely stupid comment
    Sure, but come on, this was started by Farage doing something pretty weird, and has ended up putting her in this position, right?

My point is Farage is making politics out of something and because it's about the firm she runs, she's ended up in the firing line.

He did not put a gun to her head and force her to disclose why NatWest closed his account.

She put herself in this position and frankly to do something so utterly stupid makes me wonder how she was made CEO.

Often the way to make these things blow over is to repeat 'no comment' and disappear.

Now NatWest and more importantly, Coutts' customers have serious and genuine confidentiality concens.
    And compounded by Foutts compiling a dossier on Farage to assess his 'values' which then got out and has caused them a lot of damage. Top management are also ultimately accountable for that.
    Love the idea that banks shouldn't keep files on their customers 🤪
    About their lawfully held political views? Why would a bank need that unless its being right on and judgmental?
    I know you are not this naive. Not sure why you are pretending to be. Has f*** all to do with 'woke', whatever today's definition is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

And compounded by Foutts compiling a dossier on Farage to assess his 'values' which then got out and has caused them a lot of damage. Top management are also ultimately accountable for that.
    About their lawfully held political views? Why would a bank need that unless its being right on and judgmental?
    I know you are not this naive. Not sure why you are pretending to be. Has f*** all to do with 'woke', whatever today's definition is.
    That's not strictly true - the dossier does say this: "The Committee did not think continuing to bank NF was compatible with Coutts given his publicly-stated views that were at odds with our position as an inclusive organisation."

Once he wasn't rich enough, those views (and the negative press surrounding the frogman) were the reason they didn't want him.
  • kingstongraham
    And if you don't enjoy a bank claiming to be an "inclusive organisation" while kicking someone out because they don't have £1million , you've a hard heart.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

That's not strictly true - the dossier does say this: "The Committee did not think continuing to bank NF was compatible with Coutts given his publicly-stated views that were at odds with our position as an inclusive organisation."

Once he wasn't rich enough, those views (and the negative press surrounding the frogman) were the reason they didn't want him.
    It's just any views that the bank consider risky. The same as being, say, a strong advocate of Irish republicanism over most of the last 150 years. I suspect Just Stop Oil find a few banks are sniffy about their custom. It's just a shock to Nigel that he's found himself on the other side of the line for once.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    Coop have a "premium" meal deal that's £5.50.

A small drink, soggy wrap and tiny snack is neither a meal, nor a good deal at over 5 quid!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Starc gone for 7 - Smith running out of support fast.

Aus 185 - 7 and still 98 behind
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

It's just any views that the bank consider risky. The same as being, say, a strong advocate of Irish republicanism over most of the last 150 years. I suspect Just Stop Oil find a few banks are sniffy about their custom. It's just a shock to Nigel that he's found himself on the other side of the line for once.
    So what the committee said wasn't true? His views were not at odds with the bank's position?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

So what the committee said wasn't true? His views were not at odds with the bank's position?
    They may well have been. What's not true is that this is some new phenomenon. Outspoken people at the edges of the political mainstream have always found themselves refused service for slightly confected reasons.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

You havent answered why they would need that type of info. Have another go.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This argument is bonkers Stevo. Breach of confidentiality is not ok. It is not ok in its own right, not because of whatever confidentiality got breached.
    Seems you have misunderstood me.

To be clear, I'm agreeing with you that breach of condidentiality is not OK.

However, if Rose thought that Farage is a bellend but was taking no action with regard to his status as a client of the bank, she would have had nothing to mention to the BBC journo. Hence an unacceptable breach would not have happened. Clear now?
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Keep pulling that logic thread. If he wasn't, to sum up the three risks they highlight, a bell-end - they would not have closed his account.

People get their accounts closed all the time. That is not an issue. The debate is on whether you think their reasons are legitimate. The doc seems fairly balanced to me.
    If being a bellend is enough for banks to close your account, some people in Cake Stop would be having a few financial problems. Careful what you wish for ;)

• pangolin
    Have you read the doc Stevo? It seems fairly balanced.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Stevo, just stop using your alterego likebot. Shakes head, moves on.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

Know your client.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo, just stop using your alterego likebot. Shakes head, moves on.

If you really think that shortfall is a duplicate account of mine, report it to the mods. If not, stop spouting shyte. Your move leftie boy.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

Know your client.
    :D
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

The defect that they have compiled this sort of info on a client is part of the issue. Can you really not see that?

Put aside for a minute that the subject of that report is someone you detest.
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

The defect that they have compiled this sort of info on a client is part of the issue. Can you really not see that?

So... no then?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited July 2023
    It's pretty normal.

I don't think there's anything damning or unusual in there.

NF is a PEP so comes with a higher degree of risk so a specific file would have been made to approve his account. The fact he's an odious loudmouth creates additional, reputational risk which is quite matter-of-factly covered in the report.

Like accountancy firms auditing arms manufacturers and gambling companies - it's all legal but comes with reputational risk so the powers that be will want a reasonable justification for taking on that business.

If imagine Coutts have something similar on King Charles although potentially downgraded the loudmouth risk bit since he was upgraded from prince to king as he's all bit disappeared from public view.

Unsure what's so hard for you to grasp?
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

It's pretty normal.

NF is a PEP so comes with a higher degree of risk so a specific file would have been made to approve his account. The fact he's an odious loudmouth creates additional, reputational risk which is quite matter-of-factly covered in the report.

Like accountancy firms auditing arms manufacturers and gambling companies - it's all legal but comes with reputational risk so the powers that be will want a reasonable justification for taking on that business.

If imagine Coutts have something similar on King Charles although potentially downgraded the loudmouth risk bit since he was upgraded from prince to king as he's all bit disappeared from public view.

This. Totally.
    I see as a bit like being banned from a pub for being a loud mouth racist that doesn’t have enough money to buy a pint.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

So... no then?
    Never mind, it's pretty clear that sort of thing is not needed. Banks need enough info on their clients to run a banking service. That doesn't include legitimate political viewpoints of their clients,even if they don't happen to agree with them
  • Stevo_666

It's pretty normal.

This. Totally.
    I see as a bit like being banned from a pub for being a loud mouth racist that doesn’t have enough money to buy a pint.
    A poor analogy as the customers of a bank are not in the same place as, and interacting with, other clients as the customers in a pub will do.

If it was simply a case of not being able to afford what's on offèr then it would never have been a big issue.
  • Stevo_666

It's pretty normal.

Not sure how making judgments such as the client is seen as a xenophobe and a grifter are relevant to a risk assessment. And if they are stupid enough to write that down that they can't really complain when they get found out.

If it is case of assessing whether the client is engaged in illegal activities then that's a different matter but the report clearly went beyond this into moreal judgments. And they are paying the price for it.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

So... no then?
    Never mind, it's pretty clear that sort of thing is not needed. Banks need enough info on their clients to run a banking service. That doesn't include legitimate political viewpoints of their clients,even if they don't happen to agree with them
    Have you read the dossier yet?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

So... no then?
    Have you read the dossier yet?
    Enough to make my own conclusions.

Have you?