Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I’d rather it was right off the bat.
    The money can sit in my accounts earning at least ‘some’ interest rather then HMRC.

Also, if I wait, I then have to borrow money from savings to make all the necessary contributions to mitigate tax before getting tax back in late April.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

That might explain how he was in a field that would have required him to survive crossing lots of roads to get from the nearest shooting estate.

There is always that flying thing they do...

Unlike badgers :'(

After 40+ years of driving I finally had one scurry in front of the car recently. I was doing 60, oncoming traffic, just about dark, caught a glimpse of something in the headlight then badoom as it went under front then rear wheel. Hopefully it was instantaneous for the badger. Took out the fog light, parts of the bumper and the wheel arch liner on its way through. Insurance job.

I always assumed farmers poisoned badgers and then left them by the side of the road so it looked like an accident
    Considering the lack of visual injury to most of the dead badgers I see and the lack of any obvious car damage nearby I suspect this too.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Don't you get interest on overpayments? You do through self-assessment - perhaps another advantage of being self-employed.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    pblakeney said:

That's why I drive slowly at night. A neighbour has now had two deer strikes. Fortunately she's got a council house and a motability car so its everyone else's problem.

How fast does her council house go? The curious need to know.
    It is a slow moving cottage. But would do a lot of damage if in collision with a bicycle.

I just grump because she was designated "homeless" after a divorce, despite living with her daughter at the time, has a decent job at a decent wage and owned a car previously as well. Not entirely sure that social housing was set up for people living with their family and just not really wanting to, or that the decision to move to the back of beyond should necessarily mean that one qualifies for motability when one previously didn't.

She still spends most of her time living at her daughter's place.

It's enough to make me vote Tory*.

*it isn't.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    How did we go from Badger bashing to voting Tory?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

Don't you get interest on overpayments? You do through self-assessment - perhaps another advantage of being self-employed.

Certainly used to! It was worthwhile paying everything up as early as possible since you got a 5% return instead of the bank's 0.01%.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Pretty small step out here in the cuntryside.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

pinno said:

Fucxer round here convicted of poisoning raptors inc red kites, ersehole. Sentencing due soon: I'd suggest just let (very much most of) the locals give him a fucxing good kicking like he deserves.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

Fucxer round here convicted of poisoning raptors inc red kites, ersehole. Sentencing due soon: I'd suggest just let (very much most of) the locals give him a fucxing good kicking like he deserves.
    The punishment given to Prometheus seems fitting.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Pross said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

That might explain how he was in a field that would have required him to survive crossing lots of roads to get from the nearest shooting estate.

After 40+ years of driving I finally had one scurry in front of the car recently. I was doing 60, oncoming traffic, just about dark, caught a glimpse of something in the headlight then badoom as it went under front then rear wheel. Hopefully it was instantaneous for the badger. Took out the fog light, parts of the bumper and the wheel arch liner on its way through. Insurance job.

They're not great at flying though. It seems to have been something they've developed to make them easier to shoot at. When I was in college a friend had his car written off by hitting a badger.
    I didn't know badgers could fly
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

They're not great at flying though. It seems to have been something they've developed to make them easier to shoot at. When I was in college a friend had his car written off by hitting a badger.
    I didn't know badgers could fly
    They can do.
    If your car is going fast enough.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    That when one is 1/2 hour into one's ride, warming up nicely, then one realises one's drinks bottle is on the kitchen worktop.... thirsty day.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

That when one is 1/2 hour into one's ride, warming up nicely, then one realises one's drinks bottle is on the kitchen worktop.... thirsty day.

One reason for always carrying a card. You never know when you'll need to buy something.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

One reason for always carrying a card. You never know when you'll need to buy something.
    Aye but; out on the back roads, only scattered farms and small hamlets, no shops, petrol stations etc. Did pass a pub on way back, did have a card but by then only 15 mins from home so nah.

I can rehydrate myself laterz 🤪🍻
  • pblakeney
    You passed a pub while thirsty?
    Hardcore. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Nature proving to me without any doubt that I did a poor job of cleaning the BBQ at the end of last summer. Resolved now but wasn't the planned relaxed afternoon.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,530
    pblakeney said:

Nature proving to me without any doubt that I did a poor job of cleaning the BBQ at the end of last summer. Resolved now but wasn't the planned relaxed afternoon.

Probably the same nature that has fun if I don't disinfect the inside of the fridge for the six-week summer lay-off and then forget to prop the fridge door open.
  • First.Aspect
    Indoor chain lube.
  • pinno

Indoor chain lube.

You really are struggling with this 'progress' thing.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Indoor chain lube.

I am not sure this represents progress. I mean, what happens if you accidentally ride the indoor one outside?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Indoor chain lube.

I am not sure this represents progress. I mean, what happens if you accidentally ride the indoor one outside?
    It's just marketing some product when there really isn't anything new under the moon and someone somewhere has 'a bright idea'.
    There's a lot of 'bright ideas'. Most of them bollox.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Indoor chain lube.

It's just marketing some product when there really isn't anything new under the moon and someone somewhere has 'a bright idea'.
    There's a lot of 'bright ideas'. Most of them bollox.
    Like indoor cycling shoes.
  • pinno
    Back OT:

Ben Healy's EF outfit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    So I went from being mildly annoyed that all clothes shops I frequent have stopped stocking xs, to being grateful I can shift on the bike as two youths on electric mopeds came up either side of me at the lights (in front of the police station…) and started to yank at my handlebars as if they were trying to nick it.

Managed to wrestle free and shot off and they couldn’t catch me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    edited May 2023
    Dunno if they were just f@cking about but I wasn’t really interested in finding out
  • First.Aspect
    Don't suppose the police station has CCTV outside?
  • First.Aspect
    Back on topic:

Build up to Eurovision.
  • First.Aspect
    Eurovision
  • First.Aspect
    Reporting of what happened at Eurovision
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I used to enjoy Eurovision before it got all serious.

Now it’s just an overblown showcase for not especially good pop music.

Much preferred a good novelty act in there but it all seemed to die with the introduction of semi finals.