Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Possibly just me getting old but i don't really come across the kind of pop music that used to annoy me in my 20s. 90% of music I listen to is either Spotify or music I already own. The remaining 10% is radio, mostly in the car and on stations that don't play it.

masjer said:

Ed Sheeran, vowing to quit the music industry if he lost his copyright lawsuit.

Damn, he won.

It can't just be me - Ed Sheeran barely impinges on my consciousness. He carries on, he doesn't, whatever.

I'd recognise Shape of You and The A Team (or whatever it's called), but other than that, sometimes I hear something forgettable and then it turns out it was him but it's never anything that I'd think "that sounds like him". And I might hear it again and not know who it is.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Stevo_666 said:

Things that make men attractive, in order:
    - Money
    - Being responsible for a baby
    - Being responsible for a puppy
    - Running into a burning building to rescue any one or more of: a baby, a puppy, a kitten
    - Their appearance

According to this scientific analysis, the first and last ones of your list are the ones that matter (6 mins in, but you need to watch the mens guide first) :)
    https://youtu.be/pInk1rV2VEg
    It has graphs so Rick will approve.
    Do I need to delete all the cookies from my phone now?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Fancied some rice pudding last night, opened a tin to find it curdled, opened the other tin to find the same. No rice pud for me.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    masjer said:

Damn, he won.

:D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

- Money
    - Running into a burning building to rescue any one or more of: a baby, a puppy, a kitten
    - Their appearance

According to this scientific analysis, the first and last ones of your list are the ones that matter (6 mins in, but you need to watch the mens guide first) :)
    Do I need to delete all the cookies from my phone now?
    It's not been a problem for me. Good advice, no? :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Deciding that my laptop screen needed a clean and couldn't get rid of one annoying mark at the edge of the screen. It was the tail of the cursor. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,532
    pblakeney said:

Deciding that my laptop screen needed a clean and couldn't get rid of one annoying mark at the edge of the screen. It was the tail of the cursor. 🤣

In the opposite direction, thinking I've repeatedly mistyped a full stop into a sentence, then realising it's a spot on the screen.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

- Money
    - Their appearance

that guy should present a series
    It is rather good, isn't it :)
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028

masjer said:

Damn, he won.

It can't just be me - Ed Sheeran barely impinges on my consciousness. He carries on, he doesn't, whatever.

I'd recognise Shape of You and The A Team (or whatever it's called), but other than that, sometimes I hear something forgettable and then it turns out it was him but it's never anything that I'd think "that sounds like him". And I might hear it again and not know who it is.
    This….
    Could be my age though but I find a lot of it quite bland. For something new to grab my attention it has to be a bit WTF. Like the first time hearing Kate Bush, Bjork etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    The funny bit is that that was his line of argument in court.

"I use the same 4 chords as everyone else"
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Eurosport commentators using the phrase: "Upping the speed/pace"; instead of saying something like; "Increasing the speed/pace"
  • de_sisti
    Professional sports people (especially sportswomen) crying when things don't go their way.

They should realise that the other people/teams competing against them also want to win.
  • pblakeney
    de_sisti said:

Professional sports people (especially sportswomen) crying when things don't go their way.

They should realise that the other people/teams competing against them also want to win.

Of course the others want to win but years of hard work down the swanny.
    Understandable for me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • de_sisti
    pblakeney said:

..but years of hard work ..

Yes, but others have done exactly the same. We can't have a situation like they have
    in some schools, where there are no losers in their sports day events, but all share/get
    a winner's prize.

*The last bit may be a bit of hearsay.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    de_sisti said:

You don't want sports people to feel that emotion, or you just think they should keep a stiff upper lip?
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2023
    de_sisti said:

pblakeney said:

..but years of hard work ..

Yes, but others have done exactly the same. We can't have a situation like they have
    in some schools, where there are no losers in their sports day events, but all share/get
    a winner's prize.

*The last bit may be a bit of hearsay.

You missed my point. Someone else winning isn't the hard part, it is all that effort for nothing. Giving up a career, and possibly family etc, etc. Emotion is part of sport.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    de_sisti said:

Surely you want that, as it makes the win all the more glorious?

Nothing worse than someone making out they don't really care when they lose. You want them to have given absolutely everything and then still lost.

A victory is all the better when the defeated are inconsolable.

As a spectator or fan I am not really a fan of being a 'good sport'. I think you should be fair, but I want my sportspeople to really care and give it everything they have.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

de_sisti said:

Nothing worse than someone making out they don't really care when they lose. You want them to have given absolutely everything and then still lost.

As a spectator or fan I am not really a fan of being a 'good sport'. I think you should be fair, but I want my sportspeople to really care and give it everything they have.
    I can remember enthusiastically turning in to see Ferguson in a post-match interview after a bad Utd defeat and being annoyed at how magnaminous he always was.

Klopp/Mourinho are far more fun
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

masjer said:

Damn, he won.

That thing he does and live concerts where he records a bit of him playing and then puts it on a loop then does a bit more gets on my t!ts. It really isn't as clever as he seems to think it is and he may as well just record a backing track before the gig. All he's doing is using up some of his time slot on stage when he does it at festivals.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

masjer said:

Damn, he won.

That thing he does and live concerts where he records a bit of him playing and then puts it on a loop then does a bit more gets on my t!ts. It really isn't as clever as he seems to think it is and he may as well just record a backing track before the gig. All he's doing is using up some of his time slot on stage when he does it at festivals.
    Does he still do that? I think I saw him do it years ago, but wouldn't have expected it to cut the mustard at Wembley stadium.
  • kingstongraham
    I don't know why you watch his concerts if he annoys you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Pross said:

masjer said:

Damn, he won.

Does he still do that? I think I saw him do it years ago, but wouldn't have expected it to cut the mustard at Wembley stadium.
    I saw him doing it on something (possibly his Glastonbury set).
  • pblakeney

I don't know why you watch his concerts if he annoys you.

I found watching any concert on TV to be a completely underwhelming experience.
    I stopped watching.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • de_sisti
    edited May 2023
    pblakeney said:

You missed my point.

No I haven't. In sport you're competing against someone who has made exactly the same sacrifices as you, and may be better at it (the sport) on the day. (Let's not continue arguing about this, but agree to have different viewpoints on the subject).

• pblakeney
    My last word. They are mourning their personal loss, and could probably happily acknowledge the other competitor's superior performance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

de_sisti said:

I can remember enthusiastically turning in to see Ferguson in a post-match interview after a bad Utd defeat and being annoyed at how magnaminous he always was.

Klopp/Mourinho are far more fun
    I dunno.
    I recall when Man U were played off the pitch in the final of the CL against Barca., 2011
    All Ferguson said was "It's our 60th game." with a dour mouth and walked away.
    It was Barca's 62nd.

What sort of frikkin excuse was that? The art of management is to be able to rotate their (rather big) squads.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tweets like 👇🏻. What's the point? As if the responders have any agency to effect change.
    And if it's not bands, then it's chocolate bars/sweets.
    🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻‍♂️

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Tweets like 👇🏻. What's the point? As if the responders have any agency to effect change.
    And if it's not bands, then it's chocolate bars/sweets.
    🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻‍♂️

They exist only to promote comments, which boosts the posters account.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    You've seen some threads on here, yes?