Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    pangolin said:

GPs referring to A&E because they can't make a decision or take responsibility.

The rampant sexism when dealing with the NHS and kids.

Lol should speak to a woman on how GPs deal with them before you complain too much about sexism the other way ;)
    Shouldn't we aim to avoid all sexism?
    Sure, but the complaint suggests not being aware of the privilege, right? In general, institutions treat parents in annoying ways all the time, just in different ways.
    Isn't this an example of exactly the same sexism?
    If you want to see it that way. I think society grossly underestimates how much harder it is for mothers than fathers in terms of values and how society treats them, so I am struggling to have much sympathy in this regard.
    If society discriminates against dads doing "the work of mums", then I'm not sure how that helps anyone.
    You need to move in different circles. I practically get sainted when I take my daughter out without the wife. If my wife goes out in the evening I get complimented that I can put my daughter to bed with minimal fuss. Life as a dad is easy like that. The reasonable bare minimum gets applauded.

I have strangers coming up to me when I'm out solo with my daughter saying how wonderful it is that I am able to bond with my daughter like that.

Certainly not been my experience Rick
    Sorry to hear that. I enjoy a bit of flanelling, condescending though it probably is.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    pangolin said:

Lol should speak to a woman on how GPs deal with them before you complain too much about sexism the other way ;)
    Sure, but the complaint suggests not being aware of the privilege, right? In general, institutions treat parents in annoying ways all the time, just in different ways.
    If you want to see it that way. I think society grossly underestimates how much harder it is for mothers than fathers in terms of values and how society treats them, so I am struggling to have much sympathy in this regard.
    If society discriminates against dads doing "the work of mums", then I'm not sure how that helps anyone.
    You need to move in different circles. I practically get sainted when I take my daughter out without the wife. If my wife goes out in the evening I get complimented that I can put my daughter to bed with minimal fuss. Life as a dad is easy like that. The reasonable bare minimum gets applauded.

I have strangers coming up to me when I'm out solo with my daughter saying how wonderful it is that I am able to bond with my daughter like that.

You've never received a patronising comment? When I've had this discussion before, the general view is that all parents receive patronising comments, but men get more of them.
  • rick_chasey
    Why are oil companies profiteering when they are price takers not makers?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

pangolin said:

Sorry to hear that. I enjoy a bit of flanelling, condescending though it probably is.
    you enjoy being praised for being able to look after your own child?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

pangolin said:

You've never received a patronising comment? When I've had this discussion before, the general view is that all parents receive patronising comments, but men get more of them.
    I don't think I've ever had a stranger do it no.

Maybe the odd comment from my mother in law but she makes odd comments about all sorts of things.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey

pangolin said:

I enjoy praise period. I'll take it where I get it.
  • rick_chasey
    When something is increased by a multiple, people don't say "we sales rose 7 fold" or "we sold 7 times as much", they say "we increased the sales by 7 ex"

Gaaaargh,
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

I think it’s you who needs to move in different circles. Despite bringing up kids in the dark ages I never encountered that and I never saw it when my dad did the same with my younger sisters (born when I was in my teens). It has been standard fathering for 30 plus years in my world.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Pross said:

I think it’s you who needs to move in different circles. Despite bringing up kids in the dark ages I never encountered that and I never saw it when my dad did the same with my younger sisters (born when I was in my teens). It has been standard fathering for 30 plus years in my world.
    Rick either moves in very strange circles or he makes stuff up. Never happened to me either.
  • surrey_commuter

pangolin said:

what if people praised you for not mugging old ladies, would it not seem a little strange?
  • rick_chasey

pangolin said:

what if people praised you for not mugging old ladies, would it not seem a little strange?
    What can I say, the missus did berate someone for referring to me looking after the little one as 'babysitting'?

It's all fairly light hearted, best to take it as it's intended. I may be argumentative on here but I'm hardly gonna kick off about it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

pangolin said:

In fairness, dealing with all those child care duties while maintaining your posting rate on here is pretty impressive.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited May 2023
    I do a lot of looking after our two on my own. While I don't get remarks from strangers, my wife says that some of her girlfriends comment that I do more than their husbands - particularly when I take both overnight if she goes away, or recently, I left a dinner party when one was sick, rather than her.
  • Pross
    Only comment I can ever recall hearing was when me and my then girlfriend, now wife, took my three younger sisters (born when I was between 12 and 16) out for the day. It wasn't meant to be heard by us but was along the line of 'they must have started young but seem to be doing a really good job'.
  • TheBigBean

I do a lot of looking after our two on my own. While I don't get remarks from strangers, my wife says that some of her girlfriends comment that I do more than their husbands - particularly when I take both overnight if she goes away, or recently, I left a dinner party when one was sick, rather than her.

I must do something different. I even get random women smiling at me.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,696

That's out of pity.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

That's out of pity.
    Maybe he's exceptionally handsome and they just fancy him?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo_666 said:

That's out of pity.
    You can rule that out!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

That's out of pity.
    You can rule that out!
    I was trying to big (bean) you up and you've ruined it for yourself :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    Things that make men attractive, in order:
    - Money
    - Being responsible for a baby
    - Being responsible for a puppy
    - Running into a burning building to rescue any one or more of: a baby, a puppy, a kitten
    - Their appearance
  • Pross

- Money
    - Running into a burning building to rescue any one or more of: a baby, a puppy, a kitten
    - Their appearance

That’s been my problem all my life. Cursed with no money but great looks
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

- Money
    - Their appearance

According to this scientific analysis, the first and last ones of your list are the ones that matter (6 mins in, but you need to watch the mens guide first) :)
    https://youtu.be/pInk1rV2VEg
    It has graphs so Rick will approve.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited May 2023
    People who use Americanism when saying a date (using the month first. I've noticed it a lot on the BBC, when, for example, a date will said as: January 6th, or September 11th.

We're in the UK, 6th January, 11th September, 4th May etc, etc is correct over here.

As an aside, when I use Strava on Google Chrome, the date always defaults to the
    US way of stating it. Strava on other browsers has it the UK way (well, on my computers
    anyway.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,536

- Money
    - Their appearance

David Mellor?

Boris Johnson?

I think your theory might need a little more thought...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

- Money
    - Their appearance

David Mellor?

Boris Johnson?

With power comes money.
    Or is it the other way round?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,536
    pblakeney said:

- Money
    - Their appearance

David Mellor?

Boris Johnson?

With power comes money.
    Or is it the other way round?

Well, given Johnson's eternal desperation to fill the black hole that is his bank account, I'm not sure he's got that much.

I once saw Mellor close up in the flesh, and he had the most bizarre complexion/hair combo I've ever seen. Quite put me off my lunch.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Ed Sheeran, vowing to quit the music industry if he lost his copyright lawsuit.

Damn, he won.
  • First.Aspect

- Money
    - Their appearance

David Mellor?

Boris Johnson?

Might need some refinement, but it's a solid start.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    masjer said:

Ed Sheeran, vowing to quit the music industry if he lost his copyright lawsuit.

Damn, he won.

It can't just be me - Ed Sheeran barely impinges on my consciousness. He carries on, he doesn't, whatever.

I'd recognise Shape of You and The A Team (or whatever it's called), but other than that, sometimes I hear something forgettable and then it turns out it was him but it's never anything that I'd think "that sounds like him". And I might hear it again and not know who it is.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

- Money
    - Their appearance

According to this scientific analysis, the first and last ones of your list are the ones that matter (6 mins in, but you need to watch the mens guide first) :)
    https://youtu.be/pInk1rV2VEg
    It has graphs so Rick will approve.
    that guy should present a series