Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Well that depends on whether what you are looking for in a song is something that uses interesting music theory.

If you are, then Kid A onwards would be your thing, if not, then The Bends and OK Computer probably get more play.

The fact they reached an absolute peak on what they were doing with those two and decided to move into something very different is greatness.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Singers who mumble words so you can’t understand what they are saying. Just heard a song by Jorja Smith, her voice is fine even though it isn’t my sort of music but I literally couldn’t understand a word she was saying at first. When I was really concentrating on working out what she was saying I could make out maybe one word in 10 on average. What’s the point in taking time to write lyrics and then singing so no-one knows what they are?

It's mainly about the melody and how the voice accompanies that though isn’t it?
    Prime example for me is that I like early Simple Minds when the vocals are just mixed into the overall sound and indecipherable. I switched off when they got successful and Jim Kerr started "singing".
    Not a fan of radiohead then, presumably?
    Got bored after OK Computer.
    Ah that's just when they started to get good...Pre OK Computer is drab stuff with a handful of exceptions.
    A classic example of music being subjective.
    Each to their own.
    Meh, up to a point. According to a book on the music theory in radiohead's music, and why it's quite so good, it gets much more interesting post OK Computer.

Here's the thing about subjectivity, I don't care about anyone else'e opinion.
    I like what I like.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    This is crying out for a best song lyrics thread (including analysis and workings).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

This is crying out for a best song lyrics thread (including analysis and workings).

And graphs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

That could cover everything between the double entendres of AC-DC to the poetry of John Cooper Clarke. Subjective and too many arguments. Knock yourself out. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    If you can agree on music with terrible lyrics, you can agree on music with good lyrics.

Oasis are never gonna be considered top lyricists.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Pross said:

Singers who mumble words so you can’t understand what they are saying. Just heard a song by Jorja Smith, her voice is fine even though it isn’t my sort of music but I literally couldn’t understand a word she was saying at first. When I was really concentrating on working out what she was saying I could make out maybe one word in 10 on average. What’s the point in taking time to write lyrics and then singing so no-one knows what they are?

It's mainly about the melody and how the voice accompanies that though isn’t it?
    If you really want to get into it a bit more rather than quick entertainment, a five second Google gives you the lyrics and the context/meaning.

I get what you mean though and half of me agrees, TV/Films can be the same, mumbling characters.

It reminds me a bit of Car ads nowadays too, you never actually see the the car in full just various stupid angles. I guess they want you to go online or to a showroom.
    Why bother writing lyrics at all then and not just hum or do oohs and aahs?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Pross said:

Pross said:

If you really want to get into it a bit more rather than quick entertainment, a five second Google gives you the lyrics and the context/meaning.

I get what you mean though and half of me agrees, TV/Films can be the same, mumbling characters.

It reminds me a bit of Car ads nowadays too, you never actually see the the car in full just various stupid angles. I guess they want you to go online or to a showroom.
    Why bother writing lyrics at all then and not just hum or do oohs and aahs?
    Mmm Bop springs to mind
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Think we can all agree Scooter has some quality lyrics...

It's not a bird, it's not a plane, It must be Dave who's on the train

Respect to the man in the icecream van!

I want you back, so clean up the dish / By the way, how much is the fish?
  • Pross
    Divine Comedy do a good line in lyrics
  • focuszing723
    Stevo_666 said:

And graphs.
    Yes, graphs, Venn diagrams would be nice to have too.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Pross said:

Divine Comedy do a good line in lyrics

What's your bestist lyrical track? Then, what's your favourite sounding tack? Finally your bestist favourite tack?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Half man half biscuit will win any lyric off nonsense going.

End of conversation.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Without pointing fingers... in the context of this thread, the opening lyrics to "That Don't Impress Me Much" might be a winner.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

Without pointing fingers... in the context of this thread, the opening lyrics to "That Don't Impress Me Much" might be a winner.

There’s probably a few now who are in the Carly Simon mode of wondering if that was about them!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,696
    Schwalbe Natural Bike Soap.

Cyclists = gullible?
  • pblakeney

Cyclists = gullible?

Some.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

If you can agree on music with terrible lyrics, you can agree on music with good lyrics.

Oasis are never gonna be considered top lyricists.

Not sure I can agree that Oasis were even any good musically either! ( I refer to PBlakeney’s post above on subjectivity.)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

Cyclists = gullible?

"It is made entirely from natural substances in
    Germany, is dermatologically tested, vegan and
    microplastic-free. Therefore, neither coatings nor
    tires are affected during cleaning. The soap is 100%
    biodegradable according to the OECD."

It has some efficacy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

This sort of Marketing drivel. I mean, seriously, it's f^^king hand washing detergent.

"Limited Edition"? AYFKM?

I cannot fathom how crushingly tedious a job like that must be if the best you can come up with to flog a new variety of soap is "limited". Honestly, if you are the muppet in marketing producing this rubbish, your net contribution to the improvement of mankind's existence is so vanishingly small you may as well just quit altogether, and save us the carbon footprint of your endeavours.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh why does the fastest way to get fit mean doing the worst intervals
  • First.Aspect

This sort of Marketing drivel. I mean, seriously, it's f^^king hand washing detergent.

"Limited Edition"? AYFKM?

I cannot fathom how crushingly tedious a job like that must be if the best you can come up with to flog a new variety of soap is "limited". Honestly, if you are the muppet in marketing producing this rubbish, your net contribution to the improvement of mankind's existence is so vanishingly small you may as well just quit altogether, and save us the carbon footprint of your endeavours.

You should watch Mad Men. Looks a lot more fun than what I'm doing.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I noticed a Campagnolo wheel box had some Italian on it which was obviously a marketing slogan so used the photo translate thing on my phone...'We have always given heroes wings' it said. Er, no it's just me riding my bike.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

I noticed a Campagnolo wheel box had some Italian on it which was obviously a marketing slogan so used the photo translate thing on my phone...'We have always given heroes wings' it said. Er, no it's just me riding my bike.

Should have checked the other side: "but for you just some wheels should do it"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Guys who have partial facial hair and can't grow a full beard, trying to grow a full beard.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Weight weenies forum; a lot of people with far too much money spending it on nonsense.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    andyrac said:

Weight weenies forum; a lot of people with far too much money spending it on nonsense.

There comes a point where expenditure is completely disproportionate to weight saving.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

andyrac said:

There comes a point where expenditure is completely disproportionate to weight saving.
    You can say that about aero gains as well. See also schwalbe soap, super high cost bearings made of cheese, blah.
  • pblakeney

pinno said:

andyrac said:

You can say that about aero gains as well. See also schwalbe soap, super high cost bearings made of cheese, blah.
    ...or any other sport/hobby/interest.
    The law of diminishing returns. Also something about fools and money. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: