Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    What is it with people who start their careers out being legitimately critical of the US, only to fall into this dogsh!t

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/01/oliver-stone-documentary-nuclear-power-putin-biden

But Putin is a great leader for his country and the people love him.”

Pr!ck.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Businesses that publish their contact email address online, but never respond to anything sent to it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2023
    Packs of biscuits (or any food, come to that), where once you've removed all the packing, will fit into half the box/packet. Grrr... I thought this box was rather light for the size.

• rick_chasey

Packs of biscuits (or any food, come to that), where once you've removed all the packing, will fit into half the box/packet. Grrr... I thought this box was rather light for the size.

Consider it nudge theory to make you eat less rubbish ;)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,696
    In fairness the products did reach you in perfect condition.
  • briantrumpet

In fairness the products did reach you in perfect condition.

That would be exactly the excuse that Tesco would use for why they are selling me air.
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2023
    Videos of people talking or animals doing cute things where there's incessant rhythmic music going on all the time.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Mr Trumpet posting pictures of yummy looking biscuits.
  • briantrumpet
    bm5 said:

Mr Trumpet posting pictures of yummy looking biscuits.

Tasty but tiny.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    GPs referring to A&E because they can't make a decision or take responsibility.

The rampant sexism when dealing with the NHS and kids.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Headwind on the way into work, then check the weather forecast and see it's going to change to being a headwind for the ride home.
  • rick_chasey

Lol should speak to a woman on how GPs deal with them before you complain too much about sexism the other way ;)
  • TheBigBean

Lol should speak to a woman on how GPs deal with them before you complain too much about sexism the other way ;)
    Shouldn't we aim to avoid all sexism?
  • rick_chasey

Sure, but the complaint suggests not being aware of the privilege, right? In general, institutions treat parents in annoying ways all the time, just in different ways.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Sure, but the complaint suggests not being aware of the privilege, right? In general, institutions treat parents in annoying ways all the time, just in different ways.
    Isn't this an example of exactly the same sexism?
  • rick_chasey

If you want to see it that way. I think society grossly underestimates how much harder it is for mothers than fathers in terms of values and how society treats them, so I am struggling to have much sympathy in this regard.
  • TheBigBean

A white woman can't complain about sexism, because she is unaware of her privilege?

With regard to my specific point, I mostly have a problem with the NHS. All other institutions are usually fine.

On your point about the difference in treatment of men and women by GPs i.e. nothing to do with kids. This could be said to reflect the fact that men are much less likely to go to a GP - it's hard to dress that up as privilege. That doesn't mean that all patients shouldn't be treated equally on the merit of their symptoms though.

• rick_chasey

A white woman can't complain about sexism, because she is unaware of her privilege?

With regard to my specific point, I mostly have a problem with the NHS. All other institutions are usually fine.

On your point about the difference in treatment of men and women by GPs i.e. nothing to do with kids. This could be said to reflect the fact that men are much less likely to go to a GP - it's hard to dress that up as privilege. That doesn't mean that all patients shouldn't be treated equally on the merit of their symptoms though.

Given there is a vast gender bias in healthcare, even in terms of best practices for treatment, which are always optimised for men not women (check out the book called Invisible Woman: Data Bias in a World Designed by Men) and look at the frequency of different treatments in men vs women (for example, women are half as likely to receive CPR in the event of a heart attack), and how women's pain is much less likely to be taken seriously by doctors, again, I am struggling to see where the problem is for men.
  • TheBigBean

If you want to see it that way. I think society grossly underestimates how much harder it is for mothers than fathers in terms of values and how society treats them, so I am struggling to have much sympathy in this regard.
    If society discriminates against dads doing "the work of mums", then I'm not sure how that helps anyone.
  • rick_chasey

If society discriminates against dads doing "the work of mums", then I'm not sure how that helps anyone.
    You need to move in different circles. I practically get sainted when I take my daughter out without the wife. If my wife goes out in the evening I get complimented that I can put my daughter to bed with minimal fuss. Life as a dad is easy like that. The reasonable bare minimum gets applauded.

I have strangers coming up to me when I'm out solo with my daughter saying how wonderful it is that I am able to bond with my daughter like that.

• TheBigBean

You need to move in different circles. I practically get sainted when I take my daughter out without the wife. If my wife goes out in the evening I get complimented that I can put my daughter to bed with minimal fuss. Life as a dad is easy like that. The reasonable bare minimum gets applauded.

I have strangers coming up to me when I'm out solo with my daughter saying how wonderful it is that I am able to bond with my daughter like that.

All of which I find annoying. You also get the people silently fuming about the over the top responses towards men. Then you get the people who don't want men involved, so try to exclude them from "mums groups". Some people would just like to be treated as a parent.
  • rick_chasey

All of which I find annoying. You also get the people silently fuming about the over the top responses towards men. Then you get the people who don't want men involved, so try to exclude them from "mums groups". Some people would just like to be treated as a parent.
    Sure. FWIW, I think, in general, mums are different to dads and the relationship with their children is also different. I think that clearly there is overlap in that particular venn diagram and it's not a blueprint that everyone ought or should stick to - do whatever you like, I don't care - but I understand where it comes from.

• TheBigBean

Sure. FWIW, I think, in general, mums are different to dads and the relationship with their children is also different. I think that clearly there is overlap in that particular venn diagram and it's not a blueprint that everyone ought or should stick to - do whatever you like, I don't care - but I understand where it comes from.

This is a very disappointing view and largely misses the point. Even if there are differences between men and women at a society level e.g. men are on average stronger, it shouldn't prevent someone from doing something that are able to e.g. a woman becoming a fire fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    I think that's a straw man argument because no-one is saying that.
  • TheBigBean

I think that's a straw man argument because no-one is saying that.

I've lost the thread of what you are talking about.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

do you live in the 1970s?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

That sounds like it is your circles that are skewed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Certainly not been my experience Rick
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    This argument is trivially annoying so it's bang on topic I guess.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

do you live in the 1970s?
    Ha if only.