Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    New inner tubes that don't have the inner bit of the valve tightened up properly, and you either get very slow leakage, or when you try to undo the knurled knob to pump up the tyre, the whole inner bit comes flying out instead, never to be found again.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    The way I remember it is that Smiths were green for cheese and onion and blue for salt and vinegar, Smiths seemed to be more prevalent as I remember things. But, Walkers then bought Smiths and messed things up. This may well be factually incorrect, I don't often buy crisps, so this is trivial and I couldn't give a monkeys, there's not a thread for that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

New inner tubes that don't have the inner bit of the valve tightened up properly, and you either get very slow leakage, or when you try to undo the knurled knob to pump up the tyre, the whole inner bit comes flying out instead, never to be found again.

Conti?
    I always nip up the valve before use.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Conti?
    I always nip up the valve before use.

Not the most recent occurrences.

Yeah, I should remember to, but I shouldn't have to remember to.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Living in an early 20th century terraced house that has no cavity walls; I can hear virtually everything from one of the adjoining properties. Even worse is their inability to quietly close their front door.

However, they have been very kind to me so don't want to spoil any neighbourly friendship.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    What sort of animal chooses cheese and onion over salt and vinegar anyway?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    mrb123 said:

What sort of animal chooses cheese and onion over salt and vinegar anyway?

Me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ready salted you maniacs.
  • briantrumpet
    I am partial to Burts sea salt & black pepper.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    Crisps used to be terrible, the flavours were too strong and they used to be greasy. Now with foil bags I'd hapily most varieties, accept horse of course.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

I'd hapily most varieties, accept horse of course.

Eh?

• focuszing723
    mrb123 said:

Eh?

Meh!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    mrb123 said:

Eh?

I got it!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney

Crisps used to be terrible, the flavours were too strong and they used to be greasy. Now with foil bags I'd hapily most varieties, accept horse of course.

Quite the turn around for you there. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723

In my defiance I have posted this nice picture of a grab bag of Monster Munich to desalinate my embarrassing mistake.
  • pblakeney

In my defiance I have posted this nice picture of a grab bag of Monster Munich to desalinate my embarrassing mistake.

Your AI typing bot really needs an upgrade. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

Your AI typing bot really needs an upgrade. 🤣
    I wish I had a decent excuse.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    edited April 2023
    mrb123 said:

Eh?

I think he's French.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Singers who mumble words so you can’t understand what they are saying. Just heard a song by Jorja Smith, her voice is fine even though it isn’t my sort of music but I literally couldn’t understand a word she was saying at first. When I was really concentrating on working out what she was saying I could make out maybe one word in 10 on average. What’s the point in taking time to write lyrics and then singing so no-one knows what they are?
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Pross said:

Singers who mumble words so you can’t understand what they are saying. Just heard a song by Jorja Smith, her voice is fine even though it isn’t my sort of music but I literally couldn’t understand a word she was saying at first. When I was really concentrating on working out what she was saying I could make out maybe one word in 10 on average. What’s the point in taking time to write lyrics and then singing so no-one knows what they are?

It's mainly about the melody and how the voice accompanies that though isn’t it?
    If you really want to get into it a bit more rather than quick entertainment, a five second Google gives you the lyrics and the context/meaning.

I get what you mean though and half of me agrees, TV/Films can be the same, mumbling characters.

It reminds me a bit of Car ads nowadays too, you never actually see the the car in full just various stupid angles. I guess they want you to go online or to a showroom.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

Pross said:

It's mainly about the melody and how the voice accompanies that though isn’t it?
    People's brains process music differently and some people naturally hear or pay more attention to the lyrics than others.
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

Prime example for me is that I like early Simple Minds when the vocals are just mixed into the overall sound and indecipherable. I switched off when they got successful and Jim Kerr started "singing".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Prime example for me is that I like early Simple Minds when the vocals are just mixed into the overall sound and indecipherable. I switched off when they got successful and Jim Kerr started "singing".
    Yeah, Pross is right I do like to hear the lyrics, but I think it's the accompaniment that the majority go for.

The track Just sounds goods.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Not a fan of radiohead then, presumably?
  • focuszing723

Pross said:

People's brains process music differently and some people naturally hear or pay more attention to the lyrics than others.
    Yeah, everyone if different.

Bowie used to cut words out from text and jumble them around to get some creativity. I think I've remembered that correctly without Google cheating.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Got bored after OK Computer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Pross said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnYw4EwYGc
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Ah that's just when they started to get good...Pre OK Computer is drab stuff with a handful of exceptions.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Ah that's just when they started to get good...Pre OK Computer is drab stuff with a handful of exceptions.
    A classic example of music being subjective.
    Each to their own.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

A classic example of music being subjective.
    Each to their own.
    Meh, up to a point. According to a book on the music theory in radiohead's music, and why it's quite so good, it gets much more interesting post OK Computer.