Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    London Marathon coverage. All of it. I hate the music, how damn long it is, the faux excitement, Claire Balding, and especially the British public.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Every single former blue tick holder making the exact same unscheduled disassembly joke.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

London Marathon coverage. All of it. I hate the music, how damn long it is, the faux excitement, Claire Balding, and especially the British public.

I wouldn’t be happy if someone tried to stop me or run alongside me mid marathon to interview me. I certainly wouldn’t be stopping for any protester that might try disrupting the event either!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Isn't the event quite easy to avoid if you aren't planning to go anywhere in London?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited April 2023

I presume you have an off button on the TV?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect

Isn't the event quite easy to avoid if you aren't planning to go anywhere in London?
    No, you are thinking of the Boston marathon. Which is a massive event held in Boston, and you can find coverage of the elite races if you are really interested.

For some reason the London marathon is foisted on the entire UK, right down to interviews people dressed as a haddock raising money for uncle Henry's chip shop, and heart warming footage of people being given silver survival blankets after beating their pb of 9 hours.

The BBC is still banging on about it on Monday.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I presume you have an off button on the TV?
    I shouldn't have to. I should be able to not watch cheerful celeb cooks instead.
  • First.Aspect
    And the Cutty Sodding Sark. Yes, it's flammable, you already said.
  • pinno
    I was on the Cutty sark not 3 weeks before it went up in smoke.
    I distinctly recall all the cabling for lights and (ironically) sprinklers and smoke alarms. It was omnipresent throughout the ship. All the cabling seemed an out of place barbarism on the ageing timber.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    I can see where they went wrong if they used cabling for the sprinkler system.
    Did it work similar to the bluetooth hose? 🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

The posts here seem to be the most sustained coverage of it I've come across this year...
  • First.Aspect
    edited April 2023
    Sorry, its Uncle Arry's chip shop. Or Enry's.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

No, you are thinking of the Boston marathon. Which is a massive event held in Boston, and you can find coverage of the elite races if you are really interested.

For some reason the London marathon is foisted on the entire UK, right down to interviews people dressed as a haddock raising money for uncle Henry's chip shop, and heart warming footage of people being given silver survival blankets after beating their pb of 9 hours.

Why do they never ask how these people take over 7 hours, do they stop for lunch?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Do they have a special ‘slow for age’ entry group?
  • First.Aspect
    edited April 2023

Why do they never ask how these people take over 7 hours, do they stop for lunch?
    Don't criticise, that's around the speed of a brisk walk. It is an incredible achievement. Incredible. Well done. Indeed. Back you you Claire. Is the atmosphere still fuking building?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    It's Saturday and there's no ruddy racing on GCN. 😢
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Jezyboy said:

The posts here seem to be the most sustained coverage of it I've come across this year...
    I wouldn’t even know it was on were it not for this thread.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    I would add that much of my annoyance can also be edited to apply to the boat race.
  • People who pronounce a foreign word or place in such a strong accent just to let you know that they can speak the language. Example.. you and I say that we're looking forward to seeing x play Barcelona.. your mate who's been to Spain a bit, or has a Spanish brother in law has to say Barr _ The _ lonia .
    Dick
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

People who pronounce a foreign word or place in such a strong accent just to let you know that they can speak the language. Example.. you and I say that we're looking forward to seeing x play Barcelona.. your mate who's been to Spain a bit, or has a Spanish brother in law has to say Barr _ The _ lonia .
    censored

I would suggest you avoid any of Rob Hatch's commentary.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited April 2023

People who pronounce a foreign word or place in such a strong accent just to let you know that they can speak the language. Example..

Famous bike races below:

Parry > Roubaix
    Parry > Nice
    The Geero (aka, the big 3-week Italian stage race). Should it be pronounced Jiro
    (as in the unemployment cheque some of us used to receive back in the day)?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Tennis and golf coverage on BBC sports bulletins; yet no mention of any of the
    big bike races in Europe.
  • pinno
    mrb123 said:

People who pronounce a foreign word or place in such a strong accent just to let you know that they can speak the language. Example.. you and I say that we're looking forward to seeing x play Barcelona.. your mate who's been to Spain a bit, or has a Spanish brother in law has to say Barr _ The _ lonia .
    censored

I would suggest you avoid any of Rob Hatch's commentary.
    There's a whole thread for that.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920

I hope this clip helps console your annoyance.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I hope this clip helps console your annoyance.
    celebrating beating a bloke dressed as the Elizabeth Tower because he got stuck under a bridge is beyond bizarre
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Ah charity, society's way of saying there isn't enough state support for something important, and a rich person's way of making themselves feel better that they're helping when in fact they support the institutions that regularly fail the thing that therefore needs charity.
  • pinno

Ah charity, society's way of saying there isn't enough state support for something important, and a rich person's way of making themselves feel better that they're helping when in fact they support the institutions that regularly fail the thing that therefore needs charity.

Yes indeed. Too many very important services are being delivered by charities.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

Yes indeed. Too many very important services are being delivered by charities.
    Henning Wehn said they don't do charity in Germany as they pay taxes and the government works. Charity is a failure of the state.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Do you genuinely want the state to be doing everything that charities do?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Do you genuinely want the state to be doing everything that charities do?

Some of things done by charities could/should be done by the state. Don't fall into the extreme opinion trap.