Rabo

Comments

• OCDuPalais wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:
    What about Royal Dutch Shell- Giant??? Or Amstel-Giant, or Phillips-Giant???

I think in order to show their squeaky clean ethical credentials it should be Greenpeace-Giant or Giant-Greenpeace.

The chances of such a team getting a ride at the Tour - or any French race - could be tricky...
    http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/tags/french

Good point :D

But if someone on the team won the world champs they'd be a Rainbow Warrior! :roll: A Giant-Rainbow Warrior.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Above the Cows already contributing to the general hilarity of the forum.... :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bit of a shock, I thought they were signing Cav....
  • ABN? ;).

Mr Chasey (nice to meet you by the way, I hear you are in charge) are you suggesting that ABN is a c***p bank? Then you'd be right. But I don't want my bank charges to go towards another coveted top 10 place in a grand tour :P

Why not Giant-ING to be known as Gianting. With the orange and blue in the corporate colours it wouldn't be too difficult to change the livery...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

But if someone on the team won the world champs they'd be a Rainbow Warrior! :roll: A Giant-Rainbow Warrior.

A wascally Giant Wainbow-Wawwior?... Hooway!
    20_Elmer_Fudd2-copy.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's also probably compounded by the fact that broadly speaking Dutch cycling at the highest level is utter sh!t - especially at Rabo.
  • rick_chasey
    ABN? ;).

Mr Chasey (nice to meet you by the way, I hear you are in charge) are you suggesting that ABN is a c***p bank? Then you'd be right. But I don't want my bank charges to go towards another coveted top 10 place in a grand tour :P

Why not Giant-ING to be known as Gianting. With the orange and blue in the corporate colours it wouldn't be too difficult to change the livery...

Welcome.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ABN?

Mr Chasey (nice to meet you by the way, I hear you are in charge)

Welcome.

I told you the Boss is an extremely nice chap. He can string words like a violinist strings uhm, well whatever.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ABN sponsor sailing a lot....? Suggest that the UK government are not overly likely to let RBS be overly likely to let ABN sponsor anything much at the moment now mind!

I'm properly surprised about this, I thought Rabobank were part of the cycling wallpaper forever. Hell, they sponsor EVERYTHING* in Holland, They even have trains painted in Rabo livery! Almost every town has a bike club that has some sponsorship from Rabobank and every second MAMIL that rides past wears a Rabo kit!

I hope this ends up good (you can see why Brailsford has done what he's done at Sky now!) but too much more of this is going to be troublesome (although could provide the K up the A the UCI might need...)

*sporty
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • skylla
    ddraver wrote:
    ABN sponsor sailing a lot....? Suggest that the UK government are not overly likely to let RBS be overly likely to let ABN sponsor anything much at the moment now mind!

Keep up, RBS and ABN demerged some 2 years ago!
  • AbovetheCows: one other thing you really do need to know is that you must nevereverever say anything bad about Boonen. Otherwise you could find yourself moderated out of the forum, and banished to that place of which you spoke in such fearful terms...
  • skylla wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

*takes out subscription as crimbo present for ddraver to 'Mergers & Acquisitions Weekly'*
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    skylla wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

No they didn't. The Dutch retail bank was taken over by Fortis, but when Fortis went tits, the government hopped in and the ABN brand survived. But all of the ABN businesses RBS bought have been integrated.

As a point of interest, I think RBS still sponsor a cycling team in Oz.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • skylla
    skylla wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

*takes out subscription as crimbo present for ddraver to 'Mergers & Acquisitions Weekly'*

Sorry, but the Unmerged & Management Buy-Out Daily is a far better read.
  • ddraver wrote:
    I'm properly surprised about this, I thought Rabobank were part of the cycling wallpaper forever. Hell, they sponsor EVERYTHING* in Holland, They even have trains painted in Rabo livery! Almost every town has a bike club that has some sponsorship from Rabobank and every second MAMIL that rides past wears a Rabo kit!

Exactly. This is why I too was so surprised and decided things had got so serious I needed to join you all. And it isn't just cycling MAMILS but running MAMILS too, at least here in Amsterdam. As bad as dogs for suddenly changing direction they are. Oh and Rabo sponsor the Schipol toothpaste tubes, if sponsor is the correct word.
    AbovetheCows: one other thing you really do need to know is that you must nevereverever say anything bad about Boonen. Otherwise you could find yourself moderated out of the forum, and banished to that place of which you spoke in such fearful terms...

Crumbs, I was just about to make some crude joke about Rick's non-existent verbal diarrhea and Boonen's tummy troubles at P-R (it was P-R wasn't it? I get lost with my cycling rear-end issues) a few years ago :shock:
  • skylla
    iainf72 wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

No they didn't. The Dutch retail bank was taken over by Fortis, but when Fortis went tits, the government hopped in and the ABN brand survived. But all of the ABN businesses RBS bought have been integrated.

My reading is that these were sold off.
  • ddraver
    Just saying, one of the reasons I became a Geologist was to stay the hell away from city stuff like this....

Toothpaste Tubes at Schipol?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Just saying, one of the reasons I became a Geologist was to stay the hell away from city stuff like this....

Nice to see a productive discussion though! :):wink: To be honest I've not a clue what they're talking about.
    ddraver wrote:

The things that connect the terminal to the plane, always called them toothpaste tubes in my family. Any aviation engineers here?
  • skylla
    ddraver wrote:

Back from your Siberian exile? Managed to keep up with prorace?
    ddraver wrote:

= slurf
  • ddraver
    edited October 2012
    Back
    Home visit
    Week MTBing in Dales and Lakes last week
    Back out in Siberia this week...

Got some time to read the USADA thing now tho....
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Basically it comes down to this:

At the Christmas party they want to see a little less of this

media_l_893154.jpg

And a little more of this

103730096_10.jpg?w=345
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    skylla wrote:

My reading is that these were sold off.[/quote]

Nope, they sold the brokerage which was tiny, the rest stayed. You know when you see rbs on the news in UK. They always show the old abn building
  • rick_chasey
    ABN still exists as a retail brand in the Netherlands but that's about all that's left.
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    cyclING DIRECT
  • rick_chasey
    So we reckon there's a UP style system there to be uncovered, only one that makes them look even wrose because their morals were just as bad, only they weren't good enough at it?
  • skylla
    So we reckon there's a UP style system there to be uncovered, only one that makes them look even wrose because their morals were just as bad, only they weren't good enough at it?

Que?

Edit: I get you now. The US posties. Yeah, not even a bank has enough money for the best doctors. Some great advertising for the Ferrari clinic.
  • So we reckon there's a UP style system there to be uncovered, only one that makes them look even wrose because their morals were just as bad, only they weren't good enough at it?

Ummm. :? Goodness only knows what really went/goes on at any of these teams, all we know is that Rabo have been frightened off by the recent revelations (or at least the now public nature of them) and the woeful response from the UCI. But with Rabo gone and the team casting around for a new sponsor, unless someone does some real investigative digging, ie. moves the investigation beyond Lance and USPS we are not likely to find out. Who on the team is going to sing like a canary now and put off any potential sponsors for 2014 and beyond?

But if they did have a programme it was about as successful as George Osborne's assistant's attempts at buying the correct train ticket.
  • iainf72
    Who on the team is going to sing like a canary now and put off any potential sponsors for 2014 and beyond?

That's why they've gone - There is the Rasmussen court case in Holland shortly where a lot of Rabo riders, past and present, will have to testify under oath. Dekker knows where the bodies are buried.
  • rick_chasey
    Yup.

We got the investigation into Ulrich waiting in the wings too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Yup.

We got the investigation into Ulrich waiting in the wings too.

Really?

That's cycling's problem in a nutshell. If you're going to bring a case then get on with it. Glaciers move quicker.
    Twitter: @RichN95