Rabo

Comments

• Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    They are going White Label, so it doesn't look like it was a pre-planned withdrawal, will continue with their contractual obligations in 2013' but don't want their name anywhere near the professional team. Pretty scathing of the UCI

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/raboban ... label-team
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited October 2012
    well, the outing of Lance has given cycling a lousy lousy image in the last few weeks..we've caught the cheats..but the justice is like medicine that cured the problem by kinda killing the patient. I worry there will be others in the next few weeks for sure
  • Vos, however, to get their "personal" sponsorship.............where they expect her to dominate the remaining 9 pro riders left in the women's peloton. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Mccaria wrote:
    They are going White Label, so it doesn't look like it was a pre-planned withdrawal, will continue with their contractual obligations in 2013' but don't want their name anywhere near the professional team. Pretty scathing of the UCI

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/raboban ... label-team
    Maybe this sort of thing will be what the UCI final take notice of. Whilst the money was still flowing I don't think they particularly cared. If that money starts to disappear they might actual take an active part in cleaning up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Did anyone see this coming? usually you get rumours but in this case the first suggestion of it happening seems to have been when it was announced. If it is genuinely a doping thing then it's a shame they have taken the women's team with them. I just hope it isn't the first of many, maybe now people will understand the Sky take on things! It also backs up the concerns Dave_1 has always stated about what would happen if Armstrong eventually got done. It's a bit worrying for the immediate future of the sport :(
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Pross wrote:
    Did anyone see this coming? usually you get rumours but in this case the first suggestion of it happening seems to have been when it was announced. If it is genuinely a doping thing then it's a shame they have taken the women's team with them. I just hope it isn't the first of many, maybe now people will understand the Sky take on things! It also backs up the concerns Dave_1 has always stated about what would happen if Armstrong eventually got done. It's a bit worrying for the immediate future of the sport :(
    The culture of Pro Cycling wasn't ever going to change without a huge crisis so over the long term I think this will be seen as beneficial, like cutting out a cancer. Kimmage was right, Lance is a cancer in the sport...
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    justafan wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Bit of a shame really, but not really a surprise.

I thought they would walk after the chicken fiasco.

Does this suspicious rider's surname begin with a B?
    Yes, it's Barredo. The UCI requested a prosecution be started on him yesterday.

From Rabosports website

The UCI is starting a doping lawsuit against Carlos Barredo (photo) following his blood passport and blood values concerning the 2007-2011 period (2007-2010 QuickStep, 2011 Rabobank Cycling Team). The Rabobank Cycling Team has taken notice of this decision today.

Before Carlos Barredo’s recruitment in 2011, the team conducted an extensive screening; Carlos Barredo does not count any violation of the doping regulation on his personal record, information about Barredo was obtained at the UCI, experts examined his blood and the doctor of his previous team, QuickStep, was consulted and issued a certificate of good behaviour.

Carlos Barredo was questioned by the UCI early July 2012 about his blood passport and his blood values concerning the 2007-2011 period. Before those questions, Barredo was controlled for the first time in 2012 (and until now for the last time) on the 18th of June. Barredo was given the chance to defend himself. Barredo formulated the answers in close cooperation with the Rabobank Cycling Team and delivered them before the deadline (24th of July). At that point, they were preliminary questions, there was no sign of a legal procedure. At the end of September, the UCI asked Barredo the additional questions. Those questions were again answered within the established deadline. Rabobank offered him all the support and knowledge necessary to answer the questions.

In former statements, and again after the start of this procedure by the UCI, Carlos Barredo has strongly denied any involvement in doping related cases as well as the use of doping to the Rabobank Cycling Team. If this statement reveals to be false, the team will consider it unnacceptable. While awaiting the verdict of the Spanish federation and the final result, Carlos Barredo will be suspended. His contract will expire at the end of 2012.

The Rabobank Cycling Team will follow all the steps of the procedure of the Spanish federation. The Rabobank Cycling Team stands behind the blood passport, the team supports a clean sport. The Rabobank Cycling Team is co-initiator of the blood passport and cooperates for the improvement of the blood passport.

Any word from Lefevre about the dopage going on under his roof?
  • nathancom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The culture of Pro Cycling wasn't ever going to change without a huge crisis so over the long term I think this will be seen as beneficial, like cutting out a cancer. Kimmage was right, Lance is a cancer in the sport...

Yeah, its just that in cutting out the cancer a heck of a lot of clean tissue is going to come out with it. Hope the patient is still alive at the end of it.

Feck, I've been watching too many re-runs of Grey's Anatomy. Or Silent Witness.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not good.
    Maybe puts a tiny bit more pressure on the UCI.
    At least they have a year to find a new sponsor.
    Not good.
  • dave_1
    nathancom wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Am not sure...it didn't change after Festina, or Puerto..people still doped on an epic scale in this sport...so I do wonder will taking Lance Armstrong down change what is a calculation that attracts many riders. EPO glow time 19hrs or less. Testosterone 6hrs or less. Who wouldn't fancy their chances?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Dave_1 wrote:
    well, the outing of Lance has given cycling a lousy lousy image in the last few weeks..we've caught the cheats..but the justice is like medicine that cured the problem by kinda of killing the patient. I worry there will be others in the next few weeks for sure
    No, some cheats have been caught. I'm certain others will be caught

Or do you mean there will be other sponsor withdrawals ?
    Yes, that is a worry : it's what that Sky sign-the-contract PR shyte is all about
  • dave_1
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    well, the outing of Lance has given cycling a lousy lousy image in the last few weeks..we've caught the cheats..but the justice is like medicine that cured the problem by kinda of killing the patient. I worry there will be others in the next few weeks for sure
    No, some cheats have been caught. I'm certain others will be caught

Or do you mean there will be other sponsor withdrawals ?
    Yes, that is a worry : it's what that Sky sign-the-contract PR shyte is all about

Yes, we've got a couple of cheats out the sport but 100s will stay on but will the sponsors..I don't know for sure but it must be tempting for sponsors pushed financially to use the escape clause the Lance/USADA situation is giving them
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    Every sponsor should go on strike demanding Hein and Pat leave.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hmmm, Lance dopes and a load of women pro cyclists lose their jobs. Sounds fair =(
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Read on another forum that Skoda are pulling out of cycling too.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Read that cycling is pulling out of cycling as well. :/
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Any idea what, if anything, this does to riders who are contracted for 2014 and beyond? Does this potentially make contracts voidable?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Do the 'white label' team automatically get the Pro Tour place or will other teams be able to apply to replace them?
  • Pross wrote:
    Do the 'white label' team automatically get the Pro Tour place or will other teams be able to apply to replace them?

Yeah, cos its just the sponsor's decision not to promote themselves on the kit etc
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Bollox. Big bollox. Is it because I closed my account with them last year?? I reckon it is.

What's Cav going to do now since signing up with the orange team, InsideInfo? Oh, yeah: OPQS is buying the colours in the asset sales :lol:

I'm gutted. For some reason I find it a bit hypocritical as they were part of the PED problem and now run off when they should be part of the solution, too. This is bad news for Dutch cycling.
  • skylla

NO-OOOOOO! GVD, need to sell the red octavia too now.
  • skylla
    edited October 2012
    I'm guessing this is all happening as it is confirmed through the LA saga to the general public that cycling is dirty. Only the well-informed fans knew this for well over a decade and now know that cycling was dirty and has cleaned up quite a bit since. Will it take a decade for the public to be informed and big sponsors to return to our sport?

I remember saying on this forum in July that LA has ruined pro-cycling (and hence took some wind in my sails - an american called Rundfart among others) and was thinking at the time I worded it a bit strongly. I now think that I was perhaps right. Rabobank and Skoda pulling out is the delayed effect we're seeing. Let's hope Garmin and Sky are going to last. Sorry Kimmage.

Any good news out there?
  • skylla wrote:

NO-OOOOOO! GVD, need to sell the red octavia too now.

Word seems to be that Skoda are going to keep on with cycling sponsorship but just for races, not with individual teams
  • skylla wrote:
    I'm guessing this is all happening as it is confirmed through the LA saga to the general public that cycling is dirty. Only the well-informed fans knew this for well over a decade and now know that cycling was dirty and has cleaned up quite a bit since. Will it take a decade for the public to be informed and big sponsors to return to our sport?

I remember saying on this forum in July that LA has ruined pro-cycling (and hence took some wind in my sails) and was thinking at the time I worded it a bit strongly. I now think that I was perhaps right. Rabobank and Skoda pulling out is the delayed effect we're seeing. Let's hope Garmin and Sky are going to last. Sorry Kimmage.

Any good news out there?

I got a new bike last week?
  • skylla
    skylla wrote:

I remember saying on this forum in July that LA has ruined pro-cycling (and hence took some wind in my sails) and was thinking at the time I worded it a bit strongly. I now think that I was perhaps right. Rabobank and Skoda pulling out is the delayed effect we're seeing. Let's hope Garmin and Sky are going to last. Sorry Kimmage.

Any good news out there?

A white Giant with blue Rabobank lettering? :lol:
  • skylla
    I've calmed down now. Can I have my cookie?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Just read this on Inner Ring. Nice reaction from the UCI there...
    The UCI reaction
    The governing body has put out a response which thanks Rabobank for their 17 commitment but bizarrely tries to blame the public for some of this:

In light of the difficult period, namely the high public interest in past doping issues and perhaps a more recent action taken by the UCI against a rider of the team, the UCI understands the context which has led to this decision being reached.

It’s odd to see public interest in doping cited as the problem as opposed to the chronic doping itself, no? No doubt the sport is getting scandalous headlines but the public really want to see a fair contest and a sport they can believe in. The UCI can’t rush its review of USADA’s reasoned decision but today concerns about jurisdiction seem out of place when good sponsors are going.
  • skylla
    .... and some photos of the Rabo team posted by FF?

[can someone please repeat this request, as a digital forum foe I am invisible to Frenchie!]
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    skylla wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    Any good news out there?

A white Giant with blue Rabobank lettering? :lol:

A Trek?

I imagine the trees in Richmond Park to be festooned with Madones in the run up to Christmas...