Ride Around London

1235»

Comments

• I guess I saw Padders a few times, but didn't have the energy to say hello. I probably saw the rest of you too, but didn't remember what to look out for.
    You were wearing black and white weren't you?I did see someone dressed like that and almost said something but wasn't sure if it was you...

I was. What were you riding/wearing again?
    I was wearing bib shorts With Scott written down the side, a white Giordano gilet, a yellow Jersey and black arm warmers. I passed someone dressed like you towards the end...I was in a small group of riders at the time

Can't remember you specifically, but I do recall that group. It was a bit soul destroying in a way as I'd been on my own for a hell of a long time and then you all swept past me. I did manage to join a group of four lads who I think dropped off the back of your group for the rest of the ride, though, which was nice.

I reckon I must have ridden 90% of the route on my own. The bloke I began with baled after Box Hill, but he'd done so little bike riding in the run up that I never expected us to finish together. Beyond that I only ever met people I wanted to go quicker than or who were too quick for me. It was fine, but it meant there wasn't a huge amount of drafting to enjoy. I suppose that was one of the problems of setting off with the earliest group: very few groups to catch up and tag onto. Definitely think I ought to join a club so I can ride with people of my standard and better. Apart from anything, it can get quite lonely riding on your own for long periods.
    I think I saw Jonny Trousers at the end (a little like George Clooney?)

Ha! beyond the hair colour, I'm not sure Mr Clooney would appreciate that likeness.
    My first sportive! Rather enjoyed it.

Me too, mate! I do think there might be some endorphins tricking us, however, as I remember at around 80 miles thinking, why the hell do people put themselves through this? but now I want to do another one.

Highlights for me on the day:

Shortly after we entered real countryside (Surrey?) and we broke out of a canopy of trees to see the early morning sun over the fields.

Descending Pebble Hill (I think), opening up the power for the first time that day and seeing the speed hit the 40s

Box Hill. Lovely road surface, not so tough, beautiful views, sense of achievement.

Spotting the 3rd feed station, as I had it in my head there was nothing after Windsor.

A cup of tea and flapjack at the above.

Seeing my computer flip over the 100 mile mark and giving myself a Billy-no-mates whoop.

Really good fun!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Did anyone see the 2 guys doing the 115 miles on Boris bikes? mental!
    Yep, passed them. Apparently one of them was the head of the charity. Fair play to them.
    Also the couple on the tandem.
    Yes I passed them too and I thrill I saw the tandem...in fact I think I saw 2 tandems and I noticed that they both had 2 entry numbers on them so clearly you don't get a discount by sharing a bike...

What time did you all start and finish? I was quite late,I think I only started at just before 8
    Started at about 7.55, so you probably got away just before me and I never caught you. So you'd have passed Rob and CyclingProp too probably between Box and Windsor
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    What time did you all start and finish? I was quite late,I think I only started at just before 8

Started about 7 - finished about 4.30 ish? About 7h 10 moving, I think? Not entirely sure after my Garmin accident© last night. Plenty of rest in there but still managed to drop myself many times with cramp and upward inclines so was a little behind the others at each stop. Don't know if it was much though?
    dhope wrote:
    Good ride that. Tiring mind. 122 miles in total and 6hr 50min moving time for the route. Set off late but ran into Wrath Rob and CyclingProp at Windsor and did the 2nd half in convoy.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/23602715
    So you found each other? Aww I wish I'd noticed you...I just didn't recognise the clothing descriptions I'm real life on the road...

To be fair there weren't many people my height or build so WRob's punt was logical, and DHope had his eye out for the London Pride jersey which was more distinctive yesterday than I'd expected.
    Definitely think I ought to join a club so I can ride with people of my standard and better. Apart from anything, it can get quite lonely riding on your own for long periods.

This.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • dhope
    To be fair there weren't many people my height or build so WRob's punt was logical, and DHope had his eye out for the London Pride jersey which was more distinctive yesterday than I'd expected.
    And you were standing next to Rob, which narrowed it down even more...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I tried to use strava for my whole route doostep to finish. that didnt work out so well. Phone died before I got to the halfway mark. /doh
    http://app.strava.com/rides/23611338

Kind of glad n a weird way as that is the worst i've ever felt doing anything 100+ miles. Very few cyclng miles over the last month, suffering with sadle sores for the past week, underdressed & a stinking cold. What could could hae gone wrong?? :P
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    Well that was a long but ultimately enjoyable day; set of for the 13 mile ride to Herne Hill at 5:45am, did the 115 route to Lee valley at a fairly steady pace, then a 26 mile ride home through London with a few mates at crawling pace! Back through the front door around 7:30pm with a total mileage for the day of 155.

Jonny_Trousers, think I spied you a few times, were you towards the back of a small group heading into Windsor? Think I chased the group down a few times then held back waiting for a mate.

Much respect for those I saw on the Boris bikes, tandems and Bromptons, I was starting to flag a bit towards the end so the beer tent at the finish was a very welcome sight!

Depending on the results on my xrays tomorrow, I may or may not tell my doctor what I did at the weekend :twisted:
    Marmalade
  • Padders wrote:

Jonny_Trousers, think I spied you a few times, were you towards the back of a small group heading into Windsor? Think I chased the group down a few times then held back waiting for a mate.

I pretty much came into Windsor on my own, but there was a point a few miles before then that I was with a group. I spotted you (or your bike I should say - white, hub-geared Day One?) just before Croydon, at the Box Hill cafe and just as I was leaving at the very end.

Those climbs towards the end must have hurt with your gearing?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah I did most of it on my own, I started at hh in a small group of 4 or 5 and we were together for a while until I missed a turn very early on and shot down a hill then had to climb all the way back up... Ooops. Caught the group of 4 up again though and we were together till box hill but they were too slow up the hill, however I stopped at the food stop at the top but they carried on through.I caught up with them again later though. Also picked up a drafter for a while, he was a friendly young guy, said thanks for l letting him draft, his friends had apparently been to fast and had dropped him on a hill..said he felt a but demoralised on his own....anyway I dropped him too, too slow.mwah ha ha.... then I was on my own till I was passed by the fast group which I latched on to the back of and passed Johnny t as part of.then they dropped me on a hill and I was pretty much on my own till the end
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Yeah I did most of it on my own, I started at hh in a small group of 4 or 5 and we were together for a while until I missed a turn very early on and shot down a hill then had to climb all the way back up... Ooops. Caught the group of 4 up again though and we were together till box hill but they were too slow up the hill, however I stopped at the food stop at the top but they carried on through.I caught up with them again later though. Also picked up a drafter for a while, he was a friendly young guy, said thanks for l letting him draft, his friends had apparently been to fast and had dropped him on a hill..said he felt a but demoralised on his own....anyway I dropped him too, too slow.mwah ha ha.... then I was on my own till I was passed by the fast group which I latched on to the back of and passed Johnny t as part of.then they dropped me on a hill and I was pretty much on my own till the end
  • Headhuunter
    Results are out too... I was 27th fastest for the full route out of 476. total time 7.19. Woohoo, not bad if I do say so me self...if I'm reading it right...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Results are out too... I was 27th fastest for the full route out of 476. total time 7.19. Woohoo, not bad if I do say so me self...if I'm reading it right...

Think it puts me at 294 th. not bad for a first outing and no training.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    303. I think we spent rather a lot of time waiting at Box, Windsor and the other one!

HH, nice result.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    303. I think we spent rather a lot of time waiting at Box, Windsor and the other one!

HH, nice result.
    Where are the results posted? Can't find the link on the website.

Edit: Google is my friend. 154th. Given I did the 2nd half with you Rob then you must've spent a long time at Box Hill
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Results are out too... I was 27th fastest for the full route out of 476. total time 7.19. Woohoo, not bad if I do say so me self...if I'm reading it right...

60 out of 476. Well chuffed with that for my first ever sportive and my first ride over 50 miles. Mrs Trousers is suitably impressed too so I'm sure she'll be understanding when I bring home some piece of Italian, carbon loveliness. Just a shame I look like such a dick in the photos, but never mind eh.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

HH, nice result.
    Where are the results posted? Can't find the link on the website.

Edit: Google is my friend. 154th. Given I did the 2nd half with you Rob then you must've spent a long time at Box Hill
    Yeah. The Strava time has the ride there, and the journey home in it, if I look at the actual moving time I took to complete the course it was 7hrs 3 mins. Still, it was a nice ride with some mates, rather than a record setting attempt. though doing it faster is always nice
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    I pretty much came into Windsor on my own, but there was a point a few miles before then that I was with a group. I spotted you (or your bike I should say - white, hub-geared Day One?) just before Croydon, at the Box Hill cafe and just as I was leaving at the very end.

Those climbs towards the end must have hurt with your gearing?

The 11 gear hub has a decent range so I've never felt too disadvataged on the hills (I manage to drag myself up White Down and Winterfold without too much grinding), although having said that I was starting to flag towards the end.

I managed to crawl in 119th with decent stops at each of the feed stations, so all things considered I'm not too unhappy with that - well done on the 60th!
    Marmalade