Ride Around London

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I got the impression it was obligatory, which is fair enough. I can't afford to give any more to charity this year so I'm not doing this ride.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I got the impression it was obligatory, which is fair enough. I can't afford to give any more to charity this year so I'm not doing this ride.

Having gone through the online entry process I didn't once see any reference to an obligatory amount entrants must raise and I have no intention of raising it. I'll maybe bung in another tenner, but the entry fee is enough as it is.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It wasn't obligatory to make a donation last year... I haven't actually had time to enter yet so not sure...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    OK I've now entered and it only charged me £30, no mention of raising £75 charity money as far as I could see....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The model that most sportive companies seem to be operating now is to align with a charity, charge a slightly inflated fee to enter the sportive and then suggest strongly that you should raise money for the chosen charity. The charity wins as it gets donations for low to zero investment and the organising company wins as its seen as raising money for a good cause, plus charging more for a sportive than expected.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    The model that most sportive companies seem to be operating now is to align with a charity, charge a slightly inflated fee to enter the sportive and then suggest strongly that you should raise money for the chosen charity. The charity wins as it gets donations for low to zero investment and the organising company wins as its seen as raising money for a good cause, plus charging more for a sportive than expected.

Yeah.

Is irritating.

I just wanna ride my bike on an organised ride.

If I want to donate to charity, I'll do that myself.
  • Wrath Rob
    Do an Evans even then. Cheap at less than £15 and there seem to be quite a few of them.
  • Headhuunter
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Do an Evans even then. Cheap at less than £15 and there seem to be quite a few of them.
    Yeah the Evans ride it rides are good value
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    http://www.accesssport.org.uk/ride-around-london

Click on 'event information'.
  • Headhuunter
    Cafewanda wrote:
    there's no mention of having to raise 75 quid when you enter the event and it's not in the terms and conditions so it can't be obligatory....
  • Headhuunter
    Cafewanda wrote:
    there's no mention of having to raise 75 quid when you enter the event and it's not in the terms and conditions so it can't be obligatory....
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :lol: I might still make it.

And if I do I'll do the 185km route....

185km around London ??? must be via Glasgow
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    Did anyone else enter this in the end? I confirmed with the organisers that it's not mandatory to raise any money for them...
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    my little bro is pushing me to enter this - me to do the 115 and him to meet me halfway at the 60 mile start (not sure how that'd work out re. timings)

Anyone know the closing date for this?
  • http://www.accesssport.org.uk/ride-around-london/route

Thinking of getting involved with this but info on the website is a bit patchy. Is anyone else doing it?
  • Wrath Rob
  • Ah - for some reason I thought this thread was about a different 'Ride Around London'

Cool. I will enter. I have to punish myself for dropping out of L2P with a wussy knee. Shall we all wear our Teenage Cancer Trust tops so we can spot each other and give each other (give me) tows?

Cheers

Clarkey.

(RC - get merging baby)
  • So who's actually doing this? I'm doing the full length ride, I think Johnny Trousers has entered... Anyone else now signed up? Rick C?
  • rick_chasey
    TBH mate, I'm not sure I'll even be able to afford staying in London by then at this rate so I'll have to see.
  • I have signed up. Full 115 miles.

Shame I dont live in Dulwich anymore... would have been ideal.
  • I'm signed for doing the full route, although having broken my collarbone last Tuesday I'm now not sure I'll be able to. Anyonce fancy my chances of being back on the bike by the 30th? (I'm on rollers at the mo)
    Marmalade
  • TBH mate, I'm not sure I'll even be able to afford staying in London by then at this rate so I'll have to see.

You need to move out of bloody Fulham and get yourself somewhere cheaper!
  • rick_chasey
    You're not wrong.
  • you'd get your head kicked in if you wore red trousers in a normal part of London though.
  • Wrath Rob
    Me and 5 mates are signed up for the full ride. Taking into accout the ride to Herne Hill, the full 117 mile ride and then the ride home from Lea Valley, this is going to be close to a 150 mile day. I think that final ride home is going to be a very slow one
  • Anyone got a link to a map of the route? Unless I'm being a complete R-tard I can't find anything worthwhile on their website and I cannot access the link someone kindly posted on page 1.
  • So! 1 week to go... Who's doing this? Anyone fancy meeting up at the start or even doing some of the route together? I suppose I'll be doing it in 6-7 huors... May be more, not sure. I told them I'd like totake the 4pm free bus back to Herne Hill. I can see that the following people have signed up:

Johnny Trousers
    Wrath Rob+5
    Padders
    Clarkey Cat
  • Was meant to be trialling as a tri-pervert this weekend, so maybe, though I've done nothing of a respectable distance since June.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Wrath Rob
    Yup, we're still on. I think we're going to try and get away as early as possible. Need to check what time signing on starts but we're going to aim to be there bang on doors open to try and be amongst the first away. Reason being that 3 of the 5 will be taking a more sedate pace and we've not yet worked out if we're sticking together or not. I'll probably be in Kingston Wheelers kit on a white and black Fuji. Say Hi if you see me.

Depending on time I think we'll get the train back to central London and then either ride home from there or get a train closer to home.
  • I'd certainly be up for meeting up. A lad from work is doing it with me, but I'm not convinced we'll make it all the way around together.

I'd love to get it done in around 7 hours, but I've never done a distance like this before so I just don't know. I certainly want to push myself.

I think it kicks off at 7:00 am and we were talking about getting going ASAP.