Ride Around London

Comments

• I'll probably aim for 18 or so average speed...anyone else aiming at that want to join me?

I'd love to think I can manage something around that. Am I being overly optimistic or does it not actually look that hilly?
  • Ps just washed the Madone. Rains on the way boys.

Oi you! I washed the Stealthilibrium and took the guards off yesterday. I can almost smell the clouds rolling in!
  • I'll probably aim for 18 or so average speed...anyone else aiming at that want to join me?

I'd love to think I can manage something around that. Am I being overly optimistic or does it not actually look that hilly?
    I only did the short route last year but I don't remember it being very hilly, although I think box hill it's included on the full route, although personally I don't find box hill especially tough, it's just a but of a steady zig zag upwards...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • It's fortunate I did - one of the frame saver things popped off so when out to get some sticky stuff for it.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'll be wearing one of the Gore Teenage Cancer Trust jerseys that MeanRedSpider sorted out, so if I don't find anyone at the start then I should be wearing unique kit at least if I pass/get passed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    I'll be wearing one of the Gore Teenage Cancer Trust jerseys that MeanRedSpider sorted out, so if I don't find anyone at the start then I should be wearing unique kit at least if I pass/get passed.

Theres a thought. I could outfit bomb you.
    Revision: London pride jersey. Though ill probably be in a hivis at the start. Brrr cold etc
  • Anyone at the finish at the moment? I'm on the 4 pm bus...am wearing Jeans and a light blue hoody and I'm having a bad hair day....
  • And that was meant to be fun how? I thought I was going to cry due to those nasty little hills that kept cropping up in the last 20 miles or so.

Managed it in 6 hrs 58 moving time with an average speed of just over 16.5mph. Quite pleased with that considering it was my first sportive and my first 100+ miles in the saddle.

A really well organised event! Just a shame it ended in the ugliest part of London, possibly the country.

Hope you all had fun and got back in one piece. Now, where's that hot bath...
  • I'm still on the bus...I did it in 18.5mph avg...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nice one.

I've been in bed all day with a cold!
  • Nice one.

and you've got all those interviews tomorrow...
  • Nice one.

and you've got all those interviews tomorrow...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yes.

Acutely aware of that.

Did you manage the distance OK? What was the finish like? Like last time?
  • dhope
    Good ride that. Tiring mind. 122 miles in total and 6hr 50min moving time for the route. Set off late but ran into Wrath Rob and CyclingProp at Windsor and did the 2nd half in convoy.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/23602715
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Yes.

Acutely aware of that.

Yes it was fine... I felt knackered at the end but possibly the least knackered I've felt after a 120 mile ride...
  • dhope wrote:
    Good ride that. Tiring mind. 122 miles in total and 6hr 50min moving time for the route. Set off late but ran into Wrath Rob and CyclingProp at Windsor and did the 2nd half in convoy.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/23602715
    So you found each other? Aww I wish I'd noticed you...I just didn't recognise the clothing descriptions I'm real life on the road...
  • Yes.

Acutely aware of that.

The finish was different to last time, we didn't do that funny offroad bit that ended in that field, this year the end was in a car park next to a leisure centre
  • I guess I saw Padders a few times, but didn't have the energy to say hello. I probably saw the rest of you too, but didn't remember what to look out for.
  • I guess I saw Padders a few times, but didn't have the energy to say hello. I probably saw the rest of you too, but didn't remember what to look out for.
    You were wearing black and white weren't you?I did see someone dressed like that and almost said something but wasn't sure if it was you...
    You were wearing black and white weren't you?I did see someone dressed like that and almost said something but wasn't sure if it was you...

I was. What were you riding/wearing again?

I was. What were you riding/wearing again?
    I was wearing bib shorts With Scott written down the side, a white Giordano gilet, a yellow Jersey and black arm warmers. I passed someone dressed like you towards the end...I was in a small group of riders at the time
  • My legs need a word from Jens Voight.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Good ride all in. Saw a cyclist with an imposing physique at Box Hill and took a punt that it was Cyclingprop (which it was). He joined our group who suddenly decided that 1/2 wanted to got fast and 1/2 slow. All but 1 of us regrouped at Windsor, where dhope appeared. I was very, very glad to see that food stop. I felt stronger after than and by the end I was towing a group of about 6 to the finish. One of my mate's mate turned up too, who trains with Alex Dowsett. He was just a little faster than any of the rest of us and consumed the hills with a voracious appetite.

Stats for the day: 131 miles total at an average of 16.5mph, 1640m climbing, a new top speed of 83kph (on the descent down the back side of Headly Common to Dorking before Box Hill), and the slowest ever commute home after we got the train to Liverpool St and then rode the last 9 miles.

Top day but I may be a little slow on the commute tomorrow.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Good ride all in. Saw a cyclist with an imposing physique at Box Hill and took a punt that it was Cyclingprop (which it was). He joined our group who suddenly decided that 1/2 wanted to got fast and 1/2 slow. All but 1 of us regrouped at Windsor, where dhope appeared. I was very, very glad to see that food stop. I felt stronger after than and by the end I was towing a group of about 6 to the finish. One of my mate's mate turned up too, who trains with Alex Dowsett. He was just a little faster than any of the rest of us and consumed the hills with a voracious appetite.

Stats for the day: 131 miles total at an average of 16.5mph, 1640m climbing, a new top speed of 83kph (on the descent down the back side of Headly Common to Dorking before Box Hill), and the slowest ever commute home after we got the train to Liverpool St and then rode the last 9 miles.

Top day but I may be a little slow on the commute tomorrow.

Yes - thanks for spotting me. Could have ended up a much quieter day otherwise - I managed to slot in a little slower, but not that much... averaged 15.1 including a pootle to HH at the beginning, so 126 for the day I think (unfortunately when I forgot to turn the garmin off at the end, my palm deleted all the activity on it... so if anyone could let me know elevation etc I would be grateful. Irritated I don't have the moving time etc though.

Ah well... guess I'll have to sign up to a few more to make up for it!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I did the shorter route but rode from Walton to the start so it was 85 miles in total. Avg. speed of 16.5mph. I really had to have a word with myself on the stretch after Chipperfield - was cramping up and was feeling very weedy indeed.

I think I saw Jonny Trousers at the end (a little like George Clooney?) but we were dashing out at the time to catch a train and commence an epic and unpleasant journey on the London transport system.

My first sportive! Rather enjoyed it. Hoping to enter the Devils Punchbowl on 4.11.12 now.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Enjoyed the ride. The smaller but often hills really burn on me more then longer drag. That last 20 was making me rage as they just kept on coming.

Not been able to get on the bike much for the last month which I think what made it even more of a challange. Stayed within our club group which really helped. Been suffering with saddle sores for the past week and every bump in the roa made t hat little more painful... ended up doing 136 miles total for the day s yeah... happy with that.

Did anyone see the 2 guys doing the 115 miles on Boris bikes? mental!
  • dhope
    rebs wrote:
    Yep, passed them. Apparently one of them was the head of the charity. Fair play to them.
    Also the couple on the tandem.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    dhope wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Yep, passed them. Apparently one of them was the head of the charity. Fair play to them.

Indeed... some level of insanity required to 'want' to do it on either a boris bike or a tandem (mountain) bike.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Yes I passed them too and I thrill I saw the tandem...in fact I think I saw 2 tandems and I noticed that they both had 2 entry numbers on them so clearly you don't get a discount by sharing a bike...

What time did you all start and finish? I was quite late,I think I only started at just before 8