Dumbest thing you've heard in a bike shop

1235»

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Not in a bike shop but M & S -

Me and Mrs Byke found a couple of nice wine glasses, different colour, fiver each: go to the till, second glass goes through scanner: Assistant - "oh, this one is £2, is that ok?" Me - "er, yes"
    Would loved to have said "no, I want to pay full price for it!"
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    byke68 wrote:

Me and Mrs Byke found a couple of nice wine glasses, different colour, fiver each: go to the till, second glass goes through scanner: Assistant - "oh, this one is £2, is that ok?" Me - "er, yes"

You say that but I used to work in a small conveinience shop, where sometimes buying an extra item included in a deal would make the overall price cheaper. For example (standard cost) sandwich - between £1.00 & £3.00, drink - £1.00, crisp - £1.00, but if you buy all together it's £2.99. I used to get people coming to the till all the time with a £3.00 sanwich and a drink, and i'd say "If you get the extra item its actually cheaper" but they automatically think you're just trying to make them pay more and just shut off completely and don't even listen to what your saying.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Again, not a bike shop but a shop where every little helps. Went in there to buy some ham for the sandwiches for work and got to the checkout and the barcode was missing from the packaging so went and got another packet with a barcode and went back to the checkout, as the girl was serving me I offered to buy the faulty packet for half price but she refused, it seems they'd rather send it back to the warehouse to throw it away.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • as if a checkout assistant could do decide that, i dare say supermarkets have policies on that kind of thing that must be strictly adhered to.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    byke68 wrote:

You say that but I used to work in a small conveinience shop, where sometimes buying an extra item included in a deal would make the overall price cheaper. For example (standard cost) sandwich - between £1.00 & £3.00, drink - £1.00, crisp - £1.00, but if you buy all together it's £2.99. I used to get people coming to the till all the time with a £3.00 sanwich and a drink, and i'd say "If you get the extra item its actually cheaper" but they automatically think you're just trying to make them pay more and just shut off completely and don't even listen to what your saying.

McDs breakfast is the same (sorry cant resist a double sausage & egg mcmuffin :D ). Order he meal and you get the muffin, hash brown & coffee. Order a muffin & coffee and it costs more. I order the more expensive option as I hate the hash browns and hate the idea of waste for the sake of a few pence. Plus they make the car stink !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    MattC59 wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

McDs breakfast is the same (sorry cant resist a double sausage & egg mcmuffin :D ). Order he meal and you get the muffin, hash brown & coffee. Order a muffin & coffee and it costs more. I order the more expensive option as I hate the hash browns and hate the idea of waste for the sake of a few pence. Plus they make the car stink !

The hash browns are the best bit! In the future could you save the money and maybe send them up to me? :lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Evans (again!)

buying some Campag UT BB cups, ask the guy behind the counter:

"Do they come with the spring clip?"

he opens the packet spills both cups and spring clip, along with instructions (also looking confused at the bits for a good 30secs) and says:

"Doesn't look like it"

:roll:
  • (not me but a coach at the bike club)

customer; "I need some bearings for the rear axle."
    bike shop drone; "what size?"
    customer; "1/4 inch."
    bike shop drone disappears in the stockroom, comes back a minute later; "we've got some in 3/8 inch, will they do?"
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvee wrote:
    Again, not a bike shop but a shop where every little helps. Went in there to buy some ham for the sandwiches for work and got to the checkout and the barcode was missing from the packaging so went and got another packet with a barcode and went back to the checkout, as the girl was serving me I offered to buy the faulty packet for half price but she refused, it seems they'd rather send it back to the warehouse to throw it away.

Or you could have let her scan the barcoded packet and take the unbarcoded one if you actually wanted to avoid waste rather than making a personal gain :wink:

I did that once with some (barcoded) nectarines at the co-op. I found after some searching the only packet of ripe ones (the others were like concrete) only to be told at the til that they couldn't sell them to me as they were past the sell by. Eventually I pursuaded the assistant to scan one of the others and give me the out of date ones on the basis that I wanted to eat them this week and not 3 months later.,..... I didn't look for a discount though!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I was in my LBS about a year ago and a guy and his missus were looking at the energy gels in preparation for a sportive.

After mulling them over the bloke said to his girl that he'd want to take 4 gels an hour for the planned 6 hour ride, so was going to buy the whole box and a small rucksack to carry them in on the way round :shock:

I wanted to recommend him buying a new pair of shorts to cope with the inevitable result, but then a sales guy came over and started helping him out!
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    In ten years of working in the bike game I have heard many stupid things, such as "How do make my wheels square?"
    "They're supposed to be round sir." but my all time favourite was when I was working at a Halfords some years ago. A middle aged lady came in with a BMX she had foolishly taken away in a box and assembled herself, the bars were pointing directly forward, horizontally. "I think there's something wrong with this bike." she said, quite correctly, to which I offered to book it in and set it up properly for her. This wasn't good enough, she wanted it done now as she planned to ride it home, I asked her how she had got it there in the first place and she said she had ridden it, I have no idea how. At this point my assistant piped up and asked "Seriously? Have you never seen a bike before?"
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Having decided to get a bike through the C2W scheme I was looking at a few different types and had came down to a Tourer or Triban3. So i asked the salesman which they would recommend explaining that I hadn't ridden a bike in almost 30 years. He advised me to go for the road bike as I would be at least 15% quicker on it. I did think quicker than what, as I didn't have a bike. Picked the Triban after reading about it here.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    was in an lbs a couple of years ago trying to get a price for a larger from chainset for the MTB i use on the turbo as I was spinning in to gear... 'can't you just pedal faster' was the response... I left..
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    I've heard some pretty stupid stuff, which promoted me to start this thread but i'm pretty sure I recently heard what can be, perhaps within the top 5 stupidest things to ever have been said in a bike shop.

At a large green chain in central london:

I asked for a 11-25 ultegra or dura-ace cassette, at that point i wasnt sure which i wanned...
    Fella came back with a 12-something ultegra and a 11-25 dura-ace and said ultegra doesn't have 11...the 11 is reserved for dura-ace as its designed to go faster..
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I thought 11 was only for Spinal Tap amps :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    declan1 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

The hash browns are the best bit! In the future could you save the money and maybe send them up to me? :lol:

No probs, PM me your address and I'll save them up in a Jiffy bag, then send them up. DPD will probably be best, they'll text to let you know when they're being delivered.
    :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Dumbest thing I've heard is the prices of the new pinarello range. 5hit the bed just because Paul Waller won the Tdf on one they seem to have risen in price accordingly.