Vuelta Stage 3 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    calvjones wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    For me good racing, don't think froome's got 3 wks in him. Don't think piti looks to dodgie as roche as only a little behind. Will see how Bertie recovers.

I also think Froome will struggle to last the three weeks, but today's finish suited the other three far more than it suited Froome. Those are three of the best hilly classic riders in the world, and Froome finished among them. I think it will be a different strong four when the long climbs come along.

Surely you have to win a hilly classic or two to be regarded as one of the best at it in the world?

Boogerd notwithstanding I guess.

You are right, but when he's actually ridden the classics he's shown he is a factor. He also has won convincingly on this finish before.

I take your point though.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Can't wait to watch the highlights of this now. I knew the Vuelta wouldn't disappoint.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    It's cracking stuff, great end to the stage.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    So is Contador not as strong as before (for whatever reason) or just testing?

Certainly to me it looked like he was trying more or less 100%, I think with the intention of riding off, but couldn't keep the effort up as he has previously done. Will be interesting to see...
    Mañana
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Was interesting to see how easily J-Rod and Valverde were able to jump on Bertie's wheels. Looked like a combination of Contador not being at his peak yet and this a shorter climb for more explosive types. It'll be different on tomorrow's lower gradient longer climb, and different again on the long and steep climbs that'll follow later in the Vuelta.

VDB disappointing. And what about Menchov - even in his fading away from the GC scene he's completely unnoticed
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It must have been a reasonable effort from the front 4 to finish ahead of the pack. I know it was only 6 secs but they did let the group come back to them at one point before going again.

We won't know the answer to how much Froome has going into the final week until we get there but he has shown Contador how he will respond. He's not going to match every acceleration but manage his effort. I thought today showed great maturity on his part to up the pace and ride back up to him rather than blowing up chasing a potentially unsustainable effort.

An enjoyable stage I thought.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Short climb on day 3 of a grand tour. I'm surprised the time gaps were as big as they were.

The time gap to VDB is massive. Very surprised. Didn't see the stage live, did he have any mechanical issues or just not have the form?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tomorrow will tell us a lot more about Contador. He was really feisty today, though, even by his usual standards.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    afx237vi wrote:
    Tomorrow will tell us a lot more about Contador. He was really feisty today, though, even by his usual standards.

I'm so glad to have a cue, afx. I have a theory about AC at the Vuelta. I might have read it on the internet or in a paper, but nevertheless here it is. Please don't rubbish it, if you already know. :|

Contador has had six months off to prepare for his return. He's (probably) taken those six months to research = ride and re-ride, every single one of those Vuelta stages, in his own country, at length. Especially the hard ones. He's also had six months without a Grand Tour's effort already taken out of him. Plus, he really wants to win. Plus, he's still got SaxoBank backing. Oh, and also, plus he's the best climber I've ever seen in ? seven ? years of following the TdF.

I'm a Contador fan - love his attacking style - so much better than watching people grind up mountains with no explosive excitement possibilities (like in this year's Tour). Andy Schleck is the other one like that - but so often when his brother was around he didn't do it. Such a shame that Andy Schleck isn't also in this year's Vuelta.

That's why I'm so glad that Contador is back. If you've heard it all before, sorry..............

And this is the first year I've watched the Vuelta so keenly while at work. I didn't used to bother.
  • afx237vi
    ^ Sounds about right to me.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,010
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Such a shame that Andy Schleck isn't also in this year's Vuelta.

I have no idea what goes through his head.....other riders would be desperate to get a ride in a GT
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Lichtblick wrote:

I have no idea what goes through his head.....other riders would be desperate to get a ride in a GT

Pain probably, he is injured.

Edit: Just seen he is meant to be back, so have no idea!
    Mañana
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Glad that the Schlecks are not here....both are moaning face B*****rds and would prob say its too hot and hard a course with downhill bits in it 8) .
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    pb21 wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Pain probably, he is injured.

Edit: Just seen he is meant to be back, so have no idea!
    I read the other day that he had said long rides were too painful, so he couldn't ride the Vuelta.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Now that was a stage of racing.

I have decided to take my cynicism and disappointment in a certain rider and put it in a box and bury it.

Bertie's back and kicking it 8) Whatever has gone before he is an exciting rider.

Obviously very early in race which helps riders to stay on/attack. will be more revealing in a week or two.
    What a brilliant 3rd day. More please.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Gazzetta67
    Slightly off topic - Massive crowds NOT on the US Pro Challenge....... 1 question WHY ???? ZZZZZZzzzzzzz 8)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pure panache from Contador today. How many attacks was that? Fair play to Froome, he must be fooked. It will be interesting to see if he can stay the course. How good would GT cycling be if there were a handful of riders who could attack and counter-attack like AC? (I'm starting to sound like a fanboi so I'm going to put some carpet tacks down my undies as punishment)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    We won't know the answer to how much Froome has going into the final week until we get there but he has shown Contador how he will respond. He's not going to match every acceleration but manage his effort. I thought today showed great maturity on his part to up the pace and ride back up to him rather than blowing up chasing a potentially unsustainable effort.

Despite what the Contador fanbois might be hoping that's my analysis too. I think Froome might have learned something about pacing from the TdF
  • Gazzetta67
    Pure panache from Contador today. How many attacks was that? Fair play to Froome, he must be fooked. It will be interesting to see if he can stay the course. How good would GT cycling be if there were a handful of riders who could attack and counter-attack like AC? (I'm starting to sound like a fanboi so I'm going to put some carpet tacks down my undies as punishment)

It's cool - You mean attacking not like a certain "Radio Controlled" team like US Postal 8) sorry couldnt resist.....Is the Vuelta run by ASO ????? here's hoping they never get it....Prudhomme would ruin it with at least 5 x 60km TT's and 4 DOWNHILL mountain stages.just saying.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Great stage when I watched it live on Eurosport with passionate, knowledgable commentators. Not quite the same when I watched the highlights on ITV4 later- they sound like they are commentating on tiddlywinks. One gem was that apparently riders will pour water over themselves rather than energy drinks as energy drinks are sticky- revelation of the year for me.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    As far as I can see, Contador was doing the same thing Andy Schleck gets criticised for - attacking, looking over his shoulder and then easing up.

It was showy but really achieved nothing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    simona75 wrote:
    One gem was that apparently riders will pour water over themselves rather than energy drinks as energy drinks are sticky- revelation of the year for me.

Makes sense to me....cars do carry a mixture of plain water and energy drinks.....I can't comment on how sticky the energy drinks that they use are though!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It's been said, but great stage, slightly dodgy ITV4 commentary, but I don't have Eurosport so I'm just happy its on.
    I don't know what to think about Contador grabbing the bonus yesterday and then attacking like crazy today. Possibly panicking a bit, and his attacks were a bit ineffectual. Thought Froome rode back up easily on a stage that possibly didn't suit him. Great tele though and could shape up to be a good race.
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    As far as I can see, Contador was doing the same thing Andy Schleck gets criticised for - attacking, looking over his shoulder and then easing up.

It was showy but really achieved nothing.

Agree that it didn't achieve anything, but don't think there was much easing up going on. J-Rod or Valverde would have gone again otherwise.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not sure if this has been said but what's happened to Gary Imlach ? He sounds like he's been given a sedative, even with that quite dramatic finish!
  • Paul 8v
    Sorry, just seen it's been said, that's what you get foe looking at a forum on your tiny phone!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yes Contador's attacks didn't net him a solo lead and a handful of seconds. However, one he was testing his legs to see how he was going (no problems there), two it is early so the rest are fresh - being a GT champion he has that a ility to recover and be on the level to do this is the third week also, three he put a lot of time into a good many riders.

A cpl of ppl have said this stage doesn't suit Froome - what stage does the ? He is one for the steeper and quick stuff rather than the Wiggins grind imo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Well, that was a real treat for a third stage. The race is really stirring into life now with the two punchier climbers battling it out for the stage win and a psychological battle between the overall favourites in third and fourth. A bit of cagey hand-showing but nothing too revealing. Contador looked like he was testing his legs but did he ease off, happy enough with how he initially felt, or was he on the limit? Equally, Froome calmly marked his attacks and had the nous to pinch a few bonus seconds but how hard was he trying to keep in touch. So many unanswered questions at this early point but it bodes well for exciting riding and a few surprises.
  • Paul 8v
    I must say it was a great stage finish, good to see the different styles of Froome and Contador. Froome seemed quite confident in his pace as he just gradually increased the tempo to catch up with Contador rather than printing off like the other two.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Don't forget Froome quite happily sprinted after Contador at the top where it really mattered.