Olympic - Womens Road Race - SPOILERS

15678911»

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    ddraver wrote:
    Apparently Jan Moir referred to Vos as 'some b!tch from Holland' in her column this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -face.html

What an unpleasant person! :(
    Comments like Moir's belong in Nazi Germany, reporting on the Berlin Olympics. Honestly, what sort of negative nationalistic attitude is that feeding? It's bad enough the BBC cut away during medal ceremonies if there's no GB athlete on the podium.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:
    Apparently Jan Moir referred to Vos as 'some b!tch from Holland' in her column this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -face.html

What an unpleasant person! :(
    Comments like Moir's belong in Nazi Germany, reporting on the Berlin Olympics. Honestly, what sort of negative nationalistic attitude is that feeding? It's bad enough the BBC cut away during medal ceremonies if there's no GB athlete on the podium.

On Radio 4 this morning they played a segment of the commentary of the finale of the race where Rebecca Adlington "won" her bronze medal (400m doggy paddle or something...) and just as the commentator was about to announce who'd won he suddenly stopped and said something along the lines of "you know what, who cares who won, all we care about is that Rebecca Adlington got third". It was cringeworthy, I understand that a UK audience might be particularly interested in a home athlete, but not so much that we don't care who won.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “I’m really emotional right now. I was there. I knew that was the time, I knew Vos was going to go and I was on her wheel and I was there,” she said, choking back tears. “Then I flatted and that was it. My race was over.”

“I tried to stay focused to see if maybe [the break] would come back, but I was pretty sure that was the winning move. So it’s devastating to know that you were there in the Olympic Games, but that’s bike racing.”

-Shelley Olds
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    jan-moir-column.jpg

Stupid fat cow. Imagine the cheek for her to comment on Sharron Davies' appearance... and to call Hollands greatest sportsperson of all time as 'some bitch'.

I remember when she made some pretty inappropriate remarks regarding Stephen Gately and same-sex relationships. Vile human being.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The BBC commentary of everything is disgustingly partisan, they've convinced me to cheer for anyone who is not British, it never used to be like this. The cheering by the commentators when the Japanese guy fell off in the gymnastics today was horrible to hear, and I'm so glad the score was reversed. Booing in a stadium is perhaps a little more understandable, and some bias towards to the people you know is expected, but to actually cheer a young guy who'd just mucked up is horrible.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jibberjim wrote:
    The BBC commentary of everything is disgustingly partisan, they've convinced me to cheer for anyone who is not British, it never used to be like this. The cheering by the commentators when the Japanese guy fell off in the gymnastics today was horrible to hear, and I'm so glad the score was reversed. Booing in a stadium is perhaps a little more understandable, and some bias towards to the people you know is expected, but to actually cheer a young guy who'd just mucked up is horrible.

They didn't cheer when the Japanese guy fell off at all. They cheered when the results showed GB in second. Nothing wrong with that. You also have to remember that many of these commentators work in their sports and know the people involved well. They get excited and cheer them on - same as any one else. Wouldn't you want a friend of yours to do well? Or is that disgusting to you?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    They didn't cheer when the Japanese guy fell off at all. They cheered when the results showed GB in second. Nothing wrong with that. You also have to remember that many of these commentators work in their sports and know the people involved well. They get excited and cheer them on - same as any one else. Wouldn't you want a friend of yours to do well? Or is that disgusting to you?
    The only bit I saw of that gymnastics competition was the Japanese guy on the horse at the very end, and I felt the commotion made by the British fans in the background while he was doing his turn was more than a bit unfair on him. And don't tell me they were cheering him on, while waving Union Jack flags.
    It reminded me of when in football the away team get a penalty and the home crowd do all they can noisewise to put the penalty-taker off.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    Wouldn't you want a friend of yours to do well? Or is that disgusting to you?

I'm afraid when you're being paid to commentate on an event, yes, you have to commentate and not show bias, and you certainly do not cheer the misfortune of others, that is just downright rude.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    jibberjim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm afraid when you're being paid to commentate on an event, yes, you have to commentate and not show bias, and you certainly do not cheer the misfortune of others, that is just downright rude.

But they weren't cheering the misfortune of others really, they didn't cheer when the Japanese guy messed up his dismount. They were happy when the Brits got awarded second, maybe they shouldn't be, or shouldn't have let it show.

But commentary in the olympics has been like this for as long as I remember.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • brookter
    brookter Posts: 51
    knedlicky wrote:

The only bit I saw of that gymnastics competition was the Japanese guy on the horse at the very end, and I felt the commotion made by the British fans in the background while he was doing his turn was more than a bit unfair on him. And don't tell me they were cheering him on, while waving Union Jack flags.
    It reminded me of when in football the away team get a penalty and the home crowd do all they can noisewise to put the penalty-taker off.

They weren't cheering to put the Japanese guy off: they were cheering the British guy who was doing his routine at exactly the same time. It's the format: there are several elements to the competition and the teams rotate between them, each doing a different one at the same time in a different part of the hall.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    brookter wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

They weren't cheering to put the Japanese guy off: they were cheering the British guy who was doing his routine at exactly the same time. It's the format: there are several elements to the competition and the teams rotate between them, each doing a different one at the same time in a different part of the hall.

There's some stupid PC crap being spouted on this forum.

It's the British Broadcasting corporation. Yes, I want them to recognise the endeavour and success of all athletes but I also want them to cheer on own own guys with the same passion that the spectators do. Did you not see the reactions of the swimming commentators to Ye Shiwen winning, when then French beat the much touted Austrailan and American teams in the medley or indeed the praise that was given to Vos on Sunday ? I don't think the BBC staff are as unsportsmanlike as you are making out.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    dsoutar wrote:
    brookter wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

There's some stupid PC crap being spouted on this forum.

It's the British Broadcasting corporation. Yes, I want them to recognise the endeavour and success of all athletes but I also want them to cheer on own own guys with the same passion that the spectators do. Did you not see the reactions of the swimming commentators to Ye Shiwen winning, when then French beat the much touted Austrailan and American teams in the medley or indeed the praise that was given to Vos on Sunday ? I don't think the BBC staff are as unsportsmanlike as you are making out.

+1 Loads of absolute nonsense being posted here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Jez mon wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

But they weren't cheering the misfortune of others really, they didn't cheer when the Japanese guy messed up his dismount. They were happy when the Brits got awarded second, maybe they shouldn't be, or shouldn't have let it show.

But commentary in the olympics has been like this for as long as I remember.

As it is in the rest of the world...

Do i need to post the Dennis Berkamp Clip again?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Is Ye Shiwen the 15 yo Chinese swimmer who swam the last 50m faster than the men's champion? :shock:
    No wonder she's having to facing doping allegations, coz that just isn't possible unaided.

With the Gymnastics, you have to remember that the achievement was equivalent to a Brit getting on the podium at the tour for the first time - OK, in the tour Brits took the top 2 slots, but their first medal in 100 years - and unexpected - that's worth shouting about surely?
  • ddraver
    Massively more complicated than that but yes she's that one...

Let's not call any kettles black now...
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    brookter wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

I don't know enough about the format at such competitions, but if you are right, how come the TV broadcast wasn't showing the British guy do his routine? Or then dwell on him waiting for his points to appear, as the TV broadcast did with the Japanese guy?
    The Brit's performance and points would have just as critical to the final standings as the Japanese guy's, but all I saw covered was the Japanese, from before he started on the horse until he disappeared down to the dressing rooms.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    BBC aren't in control of the pictures, they apologised at one point for the fact that the British guy was doing well but it wasn't on screen.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • brookter
    brookter Posts: 51
    knedlicky wrote:
    I don't know enough about the format at such competitions, but if you are right, how come the TV broadcast wasn't showing the British guy do his routine? Or then dwell on him waiting for his points to appear, as the TV broadcast did with the Japanese guy?
    The Brit's performance and points would have just as critical to the final standings as the Japanese guy's, but all I saw covered was the Japanese, from before he started on the horse until he disappeared down to the dressing rooms.

I don't know... The pictures are from the Olympic Broadcasting Team, not the BBC, so it was presumably the former's editorial decision. Not too unreasonable to show the team in Silver at the time, though? I presume that either the British routine or the Japanese one was shown slightly delayed.

The point is that crowd noise is more likely to be related to what's going on off-camera, than to be aimed at any particular rival.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought when they showed it live they did show the Brit, and it was only after the poor Japanese score was displayed that they cut back to show a replay of the fall... :?
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Well I'm British and I think the bias shown sometimes is embarrassing , I care about who wins more than the Brit in 17th or whatever , but I guess the olympics is for people who don't usually watch sport
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    A couple articles agreeing with Le Commentateur on the problems getting women's racing a higher profile:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... sm-cycling
  • ddraver
    the bbc wrote:
    Zabelinskaya instigated a breakaway with 25km to go and Armitstead and pre-race favourite Vos went with her. Armitstead attacked Vos on The Mall but the Dutch rider had too much power.

The media coverage of the road cycling is just embarassing. It's spoiling it for me to be honest, having to wade through factual errors and misunderstandings.

That was a great great race though.
    They are not misunderstandings, rather a bit of patriotic spin. The Team GB is the only time the BBC are allowed off the leash to do blatant propaganda. Remember the interviewer yesterday asking Vino about Cav – like as if he cared...

A tank gives some balance....

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/01/ryan_se ... _replaced/
    - @ddraver