Olympic RR *SPOILERS*

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Bet Sagan must be kicking himself for not being in the break today after seeing Vino stroll home.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    ref repentance - Vino basically doesn't give a flying F about the wider sport and what his actions mean in terms of sponsors, media etc - all of which fund his no doubt very healthy salary (and drugs regime). I would put it down to him not being very bright but his racing brain suggests he is very astute.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    530131_4415742156949_229081887_n.jpg
    One of my clubmates is down there, here's Wiggo taking a bow as he passes The Palace!
    Man's a complete star!

This guy has really endeared himself to the British public over the last month. If he can pull off a TT victory on Weds he'll become a National Treasure.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    Hopefully the bandwagon fans will now appreciate the difference between one day racing and the tour.

Though I suspect they'll just blame it on drugs. Seems literally everyone on the hill thought it was a foregone conclusion. Made me look like ey or.

Shame for Canc. Swiss rode that brilliantly. Outstanding.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    kanto wrote:
    Caught. Blimey...what a waste of effort so early on. Or just testing legs.

French, who do you want for the win today?

I don't mind too much...it has to be a legend though.
    Got that then. 8)

“Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.”
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, most of the support from the public, whether on the road or at home, comes from people who know nothing about cycling, but want to support their nation. (not saying any of that is a bad thing).

GB tactics were flawed but then again, for any tactic they could have tried, there would have been a counter-tactic, too few in the team to control the race and no radios to make this happen.

Shame Vino won. Shame Canc crashed. Shame the commentary and live info on gaps was practically non-existent. Nevermind though.
  • Reidy36
    Reidy36 Posts: 25
    Watched it from Richmond Park, great day out but we were told that the peleton were 55 second behind with just over 15 km to go. Obviously team GB didn't make the time up.
    Does anybody know which channel the highlights are on later.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062

I read through the last 15 pages but they weren't very good for anyone trying to follow the race.
    ]
    You moan back at us for giving such 'shite' coverage then..?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    same old predictable moaning face cavendish....how dare the foreigners not let him win on those silly bikes as well 8)
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    am finding myself in agreement with the positive comments on team GB's tactics on here.
    i am proud of how they rode. it was a plan and it looked on track until the final phase.

in my opinion, the most disappointing team was germany. its not much good saving most of their firepower sitting behind team GB with greipel more or less certain of a medal in a bunch finish, when there are already 32 riders up the road from other teams
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    dcj wrote:
    am finding myself in agreement with the positive comments on team GB's tactics on here.
    i am proud of how they rode. it was a plan and it looked on track until the final phase.

in my opinion, the most disappointing team was germany. its not much good saving most of their firepower sitting behind team GB with greipel more or less certain of a medal in a bunch finish, when there are already 32 riders up the road from other teams

Yes and GB didnt have anyone in the break leaving 5 of them to chase for nearly 250Kms - Spain Had THREE and the swiss had FOUR in the final break...someone even tried to blame the Aussie's as well ? O'Grady was in the break all day so dont blame the germans the war finished years ago :roll:
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Anyone know what happened to Sagan? TV coverage didn't really mention but he was second favourite before the race. Although in fairness its not like he had a team behind him....
  • Le Commentateur
    Luckao wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Did Uran not contest or get caught snoozing??

Looked over his shoulder for an eternity, looked back back and thought, "that's the mortgage paid off..."

FTFY :mrgreen:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    GB did all they could but the German's prob cost them the most.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • carl_p
    Nickel wrote:
    Anyone know what happened to Sagan? TV coverage didn't really mention but he was second favourite before the race. Although in fairness its not like he had a team behind him....

34th. Did nothing.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• dcj
    Yes and GB didnt have anyone in the break leaving 5 of them to chase for nearly 250Kms - Spain Had THREE and the swiss had FOUR in the final break...someone even tried to blame the Aussie's as well ? O'Grady was in the break all day so dont blame the germans the war finished years ago
    ..see where your thoughts are going with this one except what has a war got to do with it?

back to sport, if GB reduced their already limited firepower to 3 from 4 rider chasing, that tactic would not have helped cavendish across the gap.

also, you mention having 3 or 4 riders in the break, but what relevance does that have to team GB?
    we could have got 3 riders in the break but cavendish would have been dropped.

i don't follow the logic, sorry
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Carl_P wrote:
    Nickel wrote:

34th. Did nothing.

Counted his money from the post-Tour crit circuit.
  • dcj
    Looked over his shoulder for an eternity, looked back back and thought, "that's the mortgage paid off..."

:lol::lol::lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Magic Race Moment?
    That long, lingering look over the wrong shoulder at nobody, that allowed Vino to "jump" 25 metres clear.
    His mum should have named him Rigormortis Uran.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    This guy has really endeared himself to the British public over the last month. If he can pull off a TT victory on Weds he'll become a National Treasure.
    He's a National Treasure already.

It would be the icing on the cake if he did, though. Allez Wiggo!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    dcj wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

+1!
  • carl_p
    dcj wrote:

The Swiss and Spannish had at least seven in the break and didn't even podium, so a bit of disappointment for them as well.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    dcj wrote:
    Yes and GB didnt have anyone in the break leaving 5 of them to chase for nearly 250Kms - Spain Had THREE and the swiss had FOUR in the final break...someone even tried to blame the Aussie's as well ? O'Grady was in the break all day so dont blame the germans the war finished years ago
    ..see where your thoughts are going with this one except what has a war got to do with it?

back to sport, if GB reduced their already limited firepower to 3 from 4 rider chasing, that tactic would not have helped cavendish across the gap.

also, you mention having 3 or 4 riders in the break, but what relevance does that have to team GB?
    we could have got 3 riders in the break but cavendish would have been dropped.

i don't follow the logic, sorry

I don't think Germany were incvlined to assist in the chase because Greipel always strikes me as a sprinter who needs his team to lead him out. That is to say he is not comfortable with improvising and wheel hopping in the same way as Cav is. Greipel wanted a couple of his guys bringing him to the last 200m and wasn't prepared to shell anyone helping in the chase.

Unless they were victims of the Cancellara crash, those teams with multiple riders in the break must be kicking themselves now. At least Team GB can hold their heads up knowing they did everything possible to make their game plan work.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Le Commentateur
    Secteur wrote:
    When will the medal ceremony be?
    Had to delay a bit while Vino went to find a cashpoint.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m7vq9dSWyb1qacyk6o1_400.png
    tumblr_m7vq9dSWyb1qacyk6o4_400.png

Canc:
    I am so proud of #albasini,rast,schär,elmiger.they ride perfect for me,right corner finished my perfect day #goldmedallPlanWasOver
    Big thanks to our #swisscoach @LGCycling you can be proud.our tactic went perfect until my crash.
    Have no words left.The tears are stronger then the pain. Now we are waiting in the policlinic in the athletvillage for the X-ray. #letspray

Reuters
    tumblr_m7vpvuYbg41qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    I'm actually more gutted for Cancellara than the Brits. It looked like the Swiss were playing a blinder - and it was only a matter of time before the big man attacked.

Team GB seemed to have Plan A, and carried it out as in Copenhagen.....5 men isn't enough to cover everything. They did their best, no complaints - it wasn't to be.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Thing is, Cav gave a lot to the Sky team during Le Tour, sacrificing his personal success for the greater good of the team. The Olympic RR was meant to be Wiggins thank you to Cav, by setting him up for the gold medal. Whether or not that was the same ethos of British Cycling, in that if they were to get a gold it was going to be Cav or nothing, then it certainly seemed like that with the way in which the team operated throughout the race. Everyone knew the hand of the Brits, and so played it against them knowing that a sprint finish would have likely resulted in a gold for Team GB. It backfired for some of the teams, but the others knew that getting into a successful breakaway was the only way to do it.

I'm surprised they didnt see the dangers of letting some of those guys get ahead, especially when teams had 2 or more riders in the break. Their engines finally ran out of fuel which was to be expected when they had toiled at the front for nearly all of the race. No-one else was willing to do the work and they knew Team GB would be forced to do so.

To an outsider it'll probably look like a total failure, especially when you look at the standings in the race. Its not until you understand the tactics and the teamwork required you realise that they gave everything, but ultimately were marked men from start to finish. Plan A didnt work, and I dont think there ever was a plan B.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    :-) :D:lol:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    as I said on page 6 or so of this thread, I was surprised wiggo was doing long pulls on the front 60 miles from the end..it looked a lot of pressure GB were under. However, Vino deserves some respect as he rode smart and raced into the lead group. Cav could not do that.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    That was the worst television coverage of a race I have ever seen.