Olympic RR *SPOILERS*

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I didn't think that Cav would win, but I'm still p*ssed off with the way it turned out :(
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The extended look over the left shoulder was either a really really bad finish, or really really bad acting. Either way bad.

Hugh Porter is approaching Duffers levels of not really knowing what's going on, bit embarrassing.
  • TMR
    Turfle wrote:

Or option c) 100,000 euros.

LOL - I was just wondering the same thing...
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Urgh - that was such a SO disappointing end to a good race. Canc crashing out and appears done for the TT, Cav missing out on an olympic medal again, and that complete and utter bar steward winning. VIno was clearly sorting Urans bank account details in the last 1k for the post-race transfer. Gutted.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    kanto wrote:
    kanto wrote:
    Amazing race, and this had more entertainment and value than the whole 3 weeks of the TDF combined. One day races are always more interesting than the tour, and this didn't disappoint.

Agreed. I think its the all or nothing nature of it.

AVE GOLDEN CALVES

Vino has always been great value, and has great variety. Winning on flat one day races, hilly one dayers, and a really great GT rider too. Excellent career from one of the most exciting riders we will see for many years. There aren't many riders like Vino anymore.
    What; unrepentant doping scum? Yeah what a shame.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • VerwoodAsh
    VerwoodAsh Posts: 196
    Did Froome do anything except sit in cav's wheel before being the first to be dropped?
  • Enjoyed the race, was good to see Vino win.

Would of preferred Cav, but I think Germany put paid to their chances of winning gold (gripel did beat Mark to the line...) by tossing about. Would of hated to see anyone in the Peloton (bar GB) win after the amount of sitting up they did.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    BBC coverage was dire with crap commentary, constant channel changes and no time checks. Sky was garbage too despite Bernie adding his bit too and Uran being 'involved' in the finish.

Not happy to see Spartacus down either.
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    edited July 2012
    symo wrote:
    kanto wrote:
    kanto wrote:
    Amazing race, and this had more entertainment and value than the whole 3 weeks of the TDF combined. One day races are always more interesting than the tour, and this didn't disappoint.

Agreed. I think its the all or nothing nature of it.

AVE GOLDEN CALVES

Vino has always been great value, and has great variety. Winning on flat one day races, hilly one dayers, and a really great GT rider too. Excellent career from one of the most exciting riders we will see for many years. There aren't many riders like Vino anymore.
    What; unrepentant doping scum? Yeah what a shame.

I'd rather someone not be a hypocritical faker. No one is repentant unless they get caught, and then it is fake. I highly doubt many dopers decide to quit doping because they develop a conscious.
  • TMR
    VerwoodAsh wrote:
    Did Froome do anything except sit in cav's wheel before being the first to be dropped?

Yes, he did plenty.
  • TMR
    kanto wrote:
    I'd rather someone be honest and not be a hypocritical faker. No one is repentant unless they get caught, and then it is fake. I highly doubt many dopers decide to quit doping because they develop a conscious.

I'd rather see you keep to the topic instead of going off on a tangent. And you're very free with your opinion for someone with so few posts. Which user name(s) are you banned under? :P
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    VerwoodAsh wrote:

No he was shit.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    kanto wrote:
    I'd rather someone be honest and not be a hypocritical faker. No one is repentant unless they get caught, and then it is fake. I highly doubt many dopers decide to quit doping because they develop a conscious.

I'd rather see you keep to the topic instead of going off on a tangent. And you're very free with your opinion for someone with so few posts. Which user name(s) are you banned under? :P

Why would anyone come out and admit they were cheating after they'd stopped?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Interesting finish. Still trying to work out why Uran took a long look over his left shoulder when he'd looked over his right shoulder 1 second earlier and seen Vino right there.
  • TMR
    Carl_P wrote:
    No he was shoot.

He was on the front on the Box Hill loops for ages.
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    The tactics of the other teams were well played and paid off. Cant help but think with race radio they would have made an effort earlier to catch the breakaway.

By the way it was not Team Sky as people keep saying, it was Team GB
  • VerwoodAsh wrote:

Yes, he did plenty.

Must of been watching a different race to me.

Get the feeling Froome decided to sod off because he wants to beat Brad in the time trial to make up getting creamed in the TdF :twisted:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • TMR
    madden2011 wrote:

To be fair, it was Team SKY with one exception.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    madden2011 wrote:

To be fair, it was Team SKY with one exception.

And that nice Austrian man and his friend
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    must have been watching a different race to me.

I CBA arguing TBH, I know what I saw. To suggest he did nothing is wrong, end of.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    VerwoodAsh wrote:

Yes, he did plenty.

must have been watching a different race to me.

Get the feeling Froome decided to sod off because he wants to beat Brad in the time trial to make up getting creamed in the TdF :twisted:
    With Spartacus out, Iit surely must belong to Brad. Not that will make Cav happier.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Eisel didn't do anything except sit in front of Cav though. No turns on the front, nothing. Maybe just more comfortable riding in front of his best mate.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Coverage was dire - commentating particularly awful - silent for much, no knowledge of who the riders were from Porter, just miserable. Race wasn't too bad, happy that it wasn't dull - won by a break and driven really well by the Spanish and Swiss squads to get away on the last hill, Not sure about Phinney and TJVK they seemed a bit more confused but helped establish it for sure. Disappointing that Cancellara crashed on a smooth corner that really isn't tight, as it would've made a good finish.

Interesting EBH failed to do anything with Nordhaug and Kristov both making the final selection.

Interesting to know if GB misread who went down the road on the final climb or if they simply couldn't react. Froome looked (relatively) weak, but that's not surprising he appears to do badly outside the hills on his road bike - needs to get his road and TT position closer for these flat races like Wiggins.

Glad it was interesting, and am happy with the winner, very glad Cavendish didn't win with the use of Eisel and Schorn both working to pull back the break - they did do turns.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    When will the medal ceremony be?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    The BBC interview of Vino was the most dis-respectful interview I've ever seen. All the stupid woman did was ask Vino about Team GB. As if he cares.

Go find someone else's shoulder to cry on BEEEATCH.

PS I hope Vino doesn't test positive. But good for him overall.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Teddy Westside
    Teddy Westside Posts: 221
    edited July 2012
    A couple of Vinokourov fans choosing to be totally blind to his cheating (and unrepentant) past. There could hardly be a less-worthy winner out of that peloton.

Millar's case is so different but I can understand, if not agree with, those who feel he should not have been competing (but only because he doped, not his conduct since, which I have totally supported).

Vinokourov has never, to my knowledge, said or done anything to make up for what he did. I'm far more disappointed he won than that Cav and GB GB didn't.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Disappointing, not so much for Cavendish as the race unfolded pretty much as expected but particularly for Cancellara crashing out - was looking forward to him putting the motor on!

Vino, exciting rider back in the day, but what a thoroughly depressing winner after the Tour de France seemed to usher in a new era with the old tainted guard being replaced by a new (and hopefully cleaner) generation of riders. Convicted drugs cheats should not be at the Olympics - i include Millar in that.

btw was Boonen in the lead group when he had his puncture or was he in the Peloton?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    The BBC interview of Vino was the most dis-respectful interview I've ever seen. All the stupid woman did was ask Vino about Team GB. As if he cares.

Agree! I thought that too
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

Go find someone else's shoulder to cry on BEEEATCH.

PS I hope Vino doesn't test positive. But good for him overall.

Ever watched any 6 Nations Rugby? She's always been a disagrace. She must have photos of someone very high up in the BBC>
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Carl_P wrote:
    No he was shoot.

He was on the front on the Box Hill loops for ages.

Not so sure about 'for ages'. After Box, it was only ever Wiggo on his own who would catch the break and that was when we needed everyone to push on.

I don't think Cav will be best pleased.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...