Olympic RR/TT/TRACK Cycling.. (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, it seems to be the consensus that the pinarellos are some of the weaker bikes in the pro-peloton.
    Why was my post, asking for the source of this consensus you mentioned, deleted?

I was generally asking because I'm interested in bikes, and at the moment, those chosen by the Pro peloton.

Did you ask Mr Chasey nicely?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Love that stock photo of Fuglsang that the olympics website uses.

1254335.png

Looks like he went through an "Eddie Izzard meets Robert Smith" stage!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    The defending Olympic champion is Italy's Cancellara.

Can somebody dig up a commentator who knows something about cycling, please?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, it seems to be the consensus that the pinarellos are some of the weaker bikes in the pro-peloton.
    Why was my post, asking for the source of this consensus you mentioned, deleted?

I was generally asking because I'm interested in bikes, and at the moment, those chosen by the Pro peloton.

Yeah I did because, I kept the post short and straight to the point and everything. Suerly it is not unreasonable to ask what consenesus is it that has deemed Pinarellos some of the weaker bikes in the pro-peloton. I mean should I ever replace my Kharma this is the around the level I would be looking at.

Anyway; I beginning feel a tad underwhelmed by Team GB's cycling team at the moment (this will hopefully change come Thursday). I'm not feeling that air of dominance felt before and after the last Olympics. Maybe they've put too much pressure and expectation on themselves and/or maybe the new generation, while good, aren't as good as the older generation used to be some four years ago.

Go on, tell me how wrong I am.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    We won't win as many medals on the track. 2008 was an anomaly
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Can't see anything in the moderator logs that says a post of yours was deleted.

I certainly haven't deleted anything.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why was Nicole Cooke not selected for the TT. Personally don't understand why it seems she has fallen out of favour.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    edited August 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why was Nicole Cooke not selected for the TT. Personally don't understand why it seems she has fallen out of favour.
    Coz she's never been that great at TTs

Nor has Vos. She didn't go very well either
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No idea.

Anyway, they're pretty heavy bikes, the heaviest in the pro-peloton. That's quite well known.

I heard rumours from more informed people on here that both sky and movistar were keen to jettison them.
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No idea.

Anyway, they're pretty heavy bikes, the heaviest in the pro-peloton. That's quite well known.

I heard rumours from more informed people on here that both sky and movistar were keen to jettison them.
    The revision Sky were using at the tour are quite a bit lighter though...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No idea.

The revision Sky were using at the tour are quite a bit lighter though...

Yeah, I heard that sky were demanding that because what Pinerello were offering wasn't good enough.
  • rick_chasey
    Wiggins looking good for this.

Him versus Martin it seems.
  • Wiggins - Gold
    Martin - Silver
    Froome - Bronze

:D:D:D:D:D
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    Wasn't remotely close in the end!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    What a hero. Great for Froome aswell. Just brills.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No idea.

Dunno where you get your 'facts' from RC, it's not the heaviest bike, and it's certainly not a 'weak' bike, whatever that means. Sky just renewed with Pinarello as well. It's the Shimano gubbins that weigh their bikes down, Movistar use Campag.

Mondiale's Kuotas - 7.25
    Katusha Canyon - 7.6 kg
    Lampre Willier - 7.35 kg
    Liquigas C'dale Evo - 6.6 kg (+ stick on weight) Sagan's edge?
    Movistar's Dogma 2 - 7.3 kg
    Omega Quickstep Tarmac SL4 - 7.3 kg
    Orica Greenedge Scott Foil - 7.2
    Rabobank TCR SL - 7.5 kg
    Radioshack Madone - 7.3 kg
    Saxo Bank S-works Venge - 7.3 kg
    Sky Dogma 2 - 7.63 kg Just think what Cav COULD do on an Evo.
    Vacansoleil Bianchi Oltre - 6.89 kg
  • rick_chasey
    I vaguely remember reading something about sky going to Pinarello when they first started and said told them the bike's too heavy.

Your list shows that their bike is the heaviest of the group?

Here you go: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/pinare ... 98632.html
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316

TBF Sagan fits a bell to his. That should even it up a bit
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

TBF Sagan fits a bell to his. That should even it up a bit

Or even frogs.
  • il_principe
    I vaguely remember reading something about sky going to Pinarello when they first started and said told them the bike's too heavy.

Your list shows that their bike is the heaviest of the group?

Here you go: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/pinare ... 98632.html

No, it shows that Sky's Dogma2 is the heaviest. Movistar's isn't. So you can't say the Dogma2 is the heaviest bike, you can say that Sky's is. Clearly weight is dependent on what kit you hang on it! Also the list you point to refers to the 2010 Dogma, not the Dogma2.
  • rick_chasey
    We're splitting hairs a bit.

The bike could be a lot lighter almost a kilo - and given all the marginal gains guff sky put out, you'd think they'd want to address that, right?

Jeez, a throwaway comment on here and they're on your back ;).
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    If you'd spent a lot of money on a bike with a fantastic name you might find yourself being a little defensive when others suggest it may not be as good as other brands. Weren't Sky also keen to move to Specialized but had to stick with Pinarello when they matched Spec's offer and the clause in the contract meant they had to stay with Pinarello?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Watched the TT in Bushy Park. Great atmosphere, worth bunking off work for.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Awesome day. Bbq at a mate's house with the family, beer, sunshine, and a great viewing spot on the Portsmouth Road to boot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wiggins for the world TT now?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe

The bike could be a lot lighter almost a kilo - and given all the marginal gains guff sky put out, you'd think they'd want to address that, right?

Talking about 2 different frames isn't exactly splitting hairs is it. You labeled the current Dogma as heavy and then used the 2010 frame to back your argument up. If you're gonna make throwaway comments then at least make sure you're talking about the right frame. :roll:

Sorry but the "Pinarello's are really heavy guff" jus getting a little tired.
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    Awesome day. Bbq at a mate's house with the family, beer, sunshine, and a great viewing spot on the Portsmouth Road to boot.

Lucky sod. I managed to catch it on the office TV. Fantastic result, but makes me even more gutted for Cav!
  • rick_chasey

Talking about 2 different frames isn't exactly splitting hairs is it. You labeled the current Dogma as heavy and then used the 2010 frame to back your argument up. If you're gonna make throwaway comments then at least make sure you're talking about the right frame. :roll:

Didn't you just put a list up that put sky's bike as the heaviest? 800 grams heavier than the minimum weight limit?
    Mondiale's Kuotas - 7.25
    Katusha Canyon - 7.6 kg
    Lampre Willier - 7.35 kg
    Rabobank TCR SL - 7.5 kg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994

Didn't you just put a list up that put sky's bike as the heaviest? 800 grams heavier than the minimum weight limit?
    Mondiale's Kuotas - 7.25
    Katusha Canyon - 7.6 kg
    Lampre Willier - 7.35 kg
    Rabobank TCR SL - 7.5 kg

Now now children.

Doesn't seem to be doing the sky boys any harm. Heavy is the new light. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe

Didn't you just put a list up that put sky's bike as the heaviest? 800 grams heavier than the minimum weight

Sky's maybe, not Movistar's. We're talking about the Dogma2 as a frame, not Sky's built up version.

If Sky really wanted to lose weight they could just put different kit in the frame. My poin is that the frame, I.e the Pinarello bit is not heavy. Sky might make it so, but Movistar show that it doesn't have to be, their version is among the lighter bikes.

Anyway, enough of this. I shouldn't react to your trolling.