Olympic RR/TT/TRACK Cycling.. (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i'd like to see the shots that welkman is talking about
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I'd love to read this thread, but I'm worried that I'll find out who will win at the weekend....

WHAT FEKIN SPOILERS???
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'm going to go up to Richmond Park with another member of this parish, around Sawyers Hill, after that a pub / my place to watch it on TV, maybe see it coming back in if I'm not too battered...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Thoughts on the best spots to go out and watch for those of us without tickets?

I'm tinkering with the idea of heading across to Leatherhead (Givons Grove) on Saturday; it's on the "Box Hill" bit of the circuit - albeit not a hilly bit - where a big chunk of the key action ought to unfold, with the obvious advantage of a free vantage point for cheapskates like me.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    spasypaddy wrote:
    surely the riders are contracted to ride their team bikes like they did in the worlds maybe with a team gb paint job but still pinarellos and a cervelo for Millar.

Pretty much what I thought. Team GB/BC does effectively have a dedicated "in house" machine for track events but fairly sure that road competitors just stick with what their sponsors are paying 'em to ride.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Another good article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18993100

I'm inclined to agree this is not a foregone conclusion...

I was tenpted to go out Leatherhead way, but I don't know the area well and its a fair trek on the bike from NW London... about 65mile roundtrip
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Headley Heath for me, but will prob perch at the junction of Headley Common Road and Church Road. Looks like that should provide an ok view. Will pootle up there on the bike.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Headley Heath for me, but will prob perch at the junction of Headley Common Road and Church Road. Looks like that should provide an ok view. Will pootle up there on the bike.

May see you there. Anyone know what time the riders are expected to get to the Box Hill loop? I'd guessed at around 11, but that's without really working out the distance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I would also pay attention to guys like Eisel who will inevitably be racing for Cav.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I'm intending going over towards Sawyers to watch the road race out bound, then back towards Kingston to catch the return. Maybe at the Albert opposite Kingston Hospital, or back into the park somewhere around Ham dip.
    TT I'll be at work, but I will sneak down to Bushy Park for a little while around lunchtime.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    F8BCB81455F8D8E157778CB6D481E.jpg

This?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    why the massive angle on the stem?
  • spasypaddy
    its possibly a pina which is the team sky rebrand of a pinarello. they have a straight fork.

or possibly its his own bike as his pinarellos hadnt made it back yet?

guess we'll see on saturday. but the 2008 race had riders on their own sponsored bike rather than a nation bike. bit like footballers who wear their own boots
  • spasypaddy
    road.cc have done an article...
    The favourite to give the UK their first gold medal in the games, but the question on our lips is what will he ride? His team issue Pinarello Dogma? Sources tell us that both Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins have been spotted training on the roads in Surrey this week on bikes that definitely are not from the Italian company.

So, what will he ride then? It looks like he'll ride a bike provided by UK Sport, using a frame made along similar lines to those the track team will race in the velodrome. The frames have been developed by Advanced Composites Group, a leading composite development company based in the UK.

The stealthy black carbon track frames were ridden to much success at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Each frame is hand-crafted from the ground up and have been designed to be as aerodynamic as possible. Even the handlebars have been designed to have a low drag co-efficient.

Listed on UK Sports website is the Aero Road/TT Frame, which has the ability to be built into a road going bike or time trial setup. It weighs 1kg, accepts Shimano Di2 routing, is available in six sizes and is claimed to be “the stiffest in the world today.” It wouldn't be a surprise to see Cav riding it then.
    http://road.cc/content/news/62533-olymp ... d-win-gold

and the bike in question:
    AeroRoadandTTFrames.jpg
    Aero Road/TT Frame
    Weighing around, 1kg, the Aero Road Frame is one of the stiffest in the world today.
    The frame is available in MK1 (standard seat post) or MK2 custom seat post versions.
    D2i or Std cable option should be specified at time of order.
    Available in 6 sizes ranging from XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL
    http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Anyone emailed to find out just how much these ugly bikes cost?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Anyone emailed to find out just how much these ugly bikes cost?

No-one could accuse them of form over function - performance aside, that is a bit of a minger.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Rode the course this morning, to and from Richmond. Police have shut the zig zags, which is no bad thing as I'm not sure that my legs would have managed 9 laps. If you have a chance, well worth getting out on the route - there are yellow arrows everywhere for directions, making it like a free sportive.

http://app.strava.com/rides/14858355

The route isn't as flat as I thought it might be - lots of undulating roads and a couple of sharp climbs. As somebody mentioned above, the descent of Coombe Hill will be tricky, especially if wet. I met the Canadian women's team at the top of the hill with their coach which was interesting. Also saw Cadel Evans at the same spot riding on his own. He didn't respond to my cheery hello...

Other notable spot was Thomas Voeckler riding, bizarely, with the Italian team at the top of Box Hill. At least they smiled at my "viva Italia!".

Going to be great to watch tomorrow. Also heading for Sawyers, with the kids in tow....
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151

In a pub showing the race that sits on the route....

+1 I'll be having breakfast in a pub before they get to Putney Bridge, whereupon I will spectate from a sofa, then I might cycle up to central L and try to catch a glimmer of the CAV whisteling past Canchelara and Sagan...
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151

In a pub showing the race that sits on the route....

Where?!

I've been pointing everyone on pro-race to the temperance which is on the corner from Fulham high street to Putney bridge. I believe a guy from pro-race has booked a table there.

S'where I'd have gone if I hadn't got tickets, and it's near Putney bridge Tube station.

That's a good pub to spectate from... That'll be 2 nd choice to The Durrell Arms
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    i'm heading up to Headley Heath with wife and kids. we are planning on wearing a selection of yellow tour leader and polka dot KOM jerseys obtained free from the TDF so wave if you see us.
    FCN = 4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Gold..... Mc Cann
    Silver.....Roche
    Bronze...D Martin

What a great result..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Just for one day I wish I lived in that London....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Apart from the stem, I want one!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Went to Bushy Park there was a break away, but wife videoed the pelaton yes the flag is annoying! good fun and lots of folks having fun.

http://youtu.be/f9D-Xrbui1c
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    b6391be8.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Bollox! Got to head to work soon. Anyone know if you can view the race live online?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's on the BBC site
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I note the closed vents again on the GB lids - is this going to be the new arms race? Making road lids as TT as possible but still staying inside the letter of the law?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.