Etape du Tour 2013

Comments

• Revis
    Revis Posts: 12
    Revis wrote:
    Rodrego 'Facetious' Hernandez. Thanks for coming

What else do you expect! None of you have ever troubled the podium at the Etape yet all of a sudden you are all claiming this years is too easy!

If it is easy, go and finish first.

Case & Point
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    It's a good year to do the Etape. It is not easy. It's hard in the 5-8 hour scheme of things rather than the 8-12 hour scheme of things.
    It' s no walk in the park whatever anyone says
  • The route card with feed station locations and cut-off times went up over the weekend.
    Seriously hope I'm not in the last pen to set off!
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    I'm with Revis here. I want the epics, like 2012 with the famous climbs, like 2011 Issoire-St Flour. I'm never going to challenge for the win, not even in an age category. And if a route is 'easy' for me, it's easy for the good guys too. So I'm always going to end up with an anonymous mid-field finish. But I like a finish to be an achievement in itself.

I was disappointed when this year's Etape was revealed. But it has proven to be very popular so it looks like I'm the one who's out of step. I wish you all a good ride (but quietly hope for the return of the epics in future years :wink: ).
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    I'm very happy I decided not to enter. Set other goals which have made me push much harder. Maybe next year I will do the Etape again.
  • silkypedals
    silkypedals Posts: 214
    Would just like to say that the route for l'etape this year is fantastic, and goes over some of my favourite routes around Annecy. The Semnoz climb is beautiful, from the Annecy side is mainly a 3% powerclimb with trees providing shade. While le Revard is relentless, and offers some stunning views towards Lac du Bourget bordering Chambery. I think the organisers have been quite thoughtful, leaving small pleasures like the pretty traverse of the bridge over "the abyss" (pont de l'abime) towards the end.

I'll be in Annecy for some weeks following l'etape, so please get in touch if you are hanging around and would like to go on rides around the local area. Recommended of course are the hills around lac Annecy (col de la Forclaz, col de l'epine) and the runs to col de la Croix Fry and ski station la clusaz via Manigod.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Any idea when the bib numbers come out? I can't remember from the past few years.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    willy b wrote:
    Any idea when the bib numbers come out? I can't remember from the past few years.
    Only a few weeks before the big day, as it was 19th June last year (correct me if I'm wrong).

PS. There are a tad short of 12000 participants listed on the Etape site (11978 to be exact today). I would hate to be in the last group setting off at 8.30 am and trying to distance the broom wagon behind me while trying to catch up with the 10000 riders in front. Best to make sure the ASO knows all about previous performances in the hope of getting a reasonable starting number, if you ask me.
  • Any guesses on broom wagon strategy this year?

Last year there seemed to be lots and lots of times posted outside of the sweep
    Im guessing that in the Pyrenees they made allowances for the weather and in the Alps they simply didnt have the capacity do stop everybody under the bar and put rider and bike in a coach/HGV

Im wondering what difference a circular route will make
    They will either strictly enforce it as they wont have to pick up bikes into a fleet of lorries or else just forget about it as who really cares about congestion on a road up to a ski resort in Annecy in July??
  • js14
    Any guesses on broom wagon strategy this year?
    They may have run out of coaches last year in the Alps but maybe they also had a problem getting their coaches up the Glandon and past the Croix de Fer. I got the impression that someone reopened the closed roads too soon and the resulting influx of camping cars battling to get the best positions for the 'real' Etape got in the way of the coaches coming up the other side.

I think the broom wagon strategy will partly come down to how long government authorities will keep the roads closed. Looking at the map, the section between Aillon Le Jeune (11:35 @ 50 km) and St Jean d'Arvey (12:39 @ 65 km) has a few villages with no alternative routes to them. Then it seems Cusy is on a strategically important route, so they might not want to allow stragglers to continue after the official time limit (15:31 @ 103 km). If you can get through that one, they'll probably let you carry on all the way home to Semnoz but then again I could be completely wrong :wink: .

PS. The EDT site now has 12500 cyclists signed up for the EDT 2013.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    JS14 wrote:

PS. The EDT site now has 12500 cyclists signed up for the EDT 2013.

:shock:

Gonna be mayhem!
  • willy b
    12,500! Hope i'm off early then :shock:
  • Revis
    Would just like to say that the route for l'etape this year is fantastic, and goes over some of my favourite routes around Annecy. The Semnoz climb is beautiful, from the Annecy side is mainly a 3% powerclimb with trees providing shade. While le Revard is relentless, and offers some stunning views towards Lac du Bourget bordering Chambery. I think the organisers have been quite thoughtful, leaving small pleasures like the pretty traverse of the bridge over "the abyss" (pont de l'abime) towards the end.

I'll be in Annecy for some weeks following l'etape, so please get in touch if you are hanging around and would like to go on rides around the local area. Recommended of course are the hills around lac Annecy (col de la Forclaz, col de l'epine) and the runs to col de la Croix Fry and ski station la clusaz via Manigod.

My favourite route is vaisons to malaucene and then three ascents of Ventoux so frankly I'm pretty hacked off that with two of the great Tour climbs in the race they've not only condensed to one Acte again but used neither Ventoux nor Alpe D'Huez. To me that is ludicrous and a cop-out.
  • Revis
    Any guesses on broom wagon strategy this year?

Last year there seemed to be lots and lots of times posted outside of the sweep
    Im guessing that in the Pyrenees they made allowances for the weather and in the Alps they simply didnt have the capacity do stop everybody under the bar and put rider and bike in a coach/HGV

Im wondering what difference a circular route will make
    They will either strictly enforce it as they wont have to pick up bikes into a fleet of lorries or else just forget about it as who really cares about congestion on a road up to a ski resort in Annecy in July??

As an aside when the last bloke came cycling through town on Acte II with the entire broom wagon caravan tooting him on it was one of the greatest things I've ever watched. Brought a big smile to my face after a miserable slog in the saddle.
  • Any ideas on the medal times?

I did the Etape a while ago and whilst its never been an issue for me personally, couldnt find them in advance that time either

Thanks
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    I think the disappointment some feel about this year's Etape route is justified, especially given the overall cost of participating. I'm not saying it is "easy" as such, just that, as far as I understand it, a great Etape should include iconic climbs and be a mega-challenge for an ordinary club rider like myself. I did Act 2 last year and my finishers' medal is something that I treasure, because completing the hardest stage of the Tour and getting over four and a bit mountains, including the Tourmalet, is something to be genuinely proud of, at least for someone at my level. I'm not sure that this year's event can live up to that, and that's a shame because it somewhat diminishes the achievement.

A few people have scoffed at the disgruntled, saying that if it's so "easy", how come they won't get a podium finish. This misses the point. A 10 mile TT isn't "easy" and I doubt I would get anywhere near the podium on anything more competitive than a local club TT. But it isn't a challenge to get round. Finishing an Etape should be a major achievement in itself. If it isn't, why not hold it on a flat stage?

There are hundreds of sportives each year of varying difficulty, short, long, flat, hilly etc. But the Etape is special. It's supposed to be up there with the toughest sportive courses in the world. Unless you are an elite rider, it should strike fear into your heart, or at least force you out of bed to train on cold wet mornings lest you suffer the ignominy of being swept up. Like I said, I'm just a bog standard club rider whose measure for success is finishing in the top 20% of a UK sportive. If I want a reasonably tough ride, I can do King of the Downs with its 3,000 metres of elevation, and a total spend of 50 quid. I don't need to go to France.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • bernithebiker
    I take your point, and like you, I'm proud of having finished Acte 2 last year, in diabolical conditions....!

But they have to have a wide audience - those that would not have dared attempt Acte 2 last year, may well consider this year's as it's a bit more manageable. Maybe more women too.

Don't forget, the roads are all closed, the scenery will be absolutely stunning, there are some great climbs in there, and the sheer size of the event makes it quite exciting.

I can't wait!
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    @berniebiker

Good points well made and you're right, it should still be a beautiful day out on closed roads. The best solution would be to have kept two Etapes of varying difficulty and so cover all bases, but I guess the number of entrants and hence the financials don't crunch from the organisers point of view.

I just think it's a shame that if there's only going to be one Etape, we're not given the opportunity to ride the hardest stage with the iconic climbs. I think there's room in the sportive calender for both mass participation 'London Marathon' type cycle events such as the London - Surrey 100 ride (which I am really looking forward to), and something which should scare the living daylights out of you, like last year's Etape.

I'm doing the London 100 as part of a club team, and we'll have a lot of fun and maybe get a decent time time too. Afterwards, we'll be a bit knackered, probably have a beer and post some pics on facebook in remembrance of a great day out. But if I do an Etape I want to know I've gone to WAR!
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • Revis wrote:
    I can get a nice route any day of the year. Wanted a challenge. Ventoux is the hardest climb there is, if not then Alpe d'Huez to follow, (but as Schleck said Alpe d'Huez is a 'piece of cake' compared to Ventoux). As such massively disappointed with the choice of route: the place will be packed full, Hotel prices will be sky-high and it won't leave lasting satisfaction.
    I'd go do La Marmotte, or Maratona in Italy...
  • Revis wrote:
    Haha yup it was pretty chilly right! I remember one of the feed stations jam packed with people wrapped up in heat blankets. I don't know how many started but I was led to believe about 9500 and just checked the site and 3800-odd finished. Think I'll make a pilgrimage to Ventoux this year and try 6 ascents. Fun fun fun :P
    How on earth can you fit six in ? I did Les Cingles - http://www.velonomad.com/trips/2011-velonomad-trip-day-27-the-ventoux-3-peat-les-cingles/ - and it was a long day.
  • So for those that are riding this year - what training are you currently doing?

Do a tough 4 hour ride.

Then go flat out and push as hard as you can (zone 4 and 5) for an hour.

Repeat a few days later.

That should do it!
    I have to be honest, for the vast majority of people, that sort of advice will consign them to a long day and possibly the broom wagon.

I am only a poorly B grade racer - here's what 3 x 12 week blocks got me (at home I was in tight form against my other peers) - http://www.velonomad.com/trips/2011-etape-report-alps/

And in 2010, with no training (after being sick off the bike for a while) - http://www.velonomad.com/trips/letape-du-tour-2010-report/

I know guys who trained 6 months before Ventoux Etape and abandoned in Bedoin.

Do not fool yourself, unless you've been training hard, and with purpose, a few random training rides won't suffice.

If you wanna roll the dice though....
  • js14
    The French site Velo101 has produced a nice video of this year's route: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x106k8b_reconnaissance-etape-du-tour-2013-annecy-le-semnoz_sport.

There are now 13200 participants listed on the EDT site !!!
  • bernithebiker

Nice!

A thought just struck me - those that finish quickly will be descending the Semnoz to get home, whilst thousands are cycling up. Isn't that a recipe for disaster?!
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70

Nice!

A thought just struck me - those that finish quickly will be descending the Semnoz to get home, whilst thousands are cycling up. Isn't that a recipe for disaster?!

I remember they had that problem with the 2008 Etape which finished at the top of the Hautacam; finishers were held in a pen at the top to wait (in the pouring rain) their turn to be let back down the mountain on the one narrow road that was packed with those still climbing up...fun, fun, fun! :lol:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036

Nice!

You can descend the other side of the Semnoz to get back to Annecy.

BTW for reference I rode around most of the route in November but starting from Chambery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9gHpf8vuQ

Unlike team mavic I didn't have a team car and film unit, the bits filmed from the car were done a few days after on a couple of sections.

I may cycle it again in June, if summer ever comes.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bernithebiker
    Anyone know when we get our start numbers?
  • js14
    edited June 2013
    The French version of the EdT site explains that the organisers are introducing a new method for dealing with competitors who abandon. Those who run out of steam will have to make their own way to one of six designated pick-up points where lorries and coaches will be waiting to take them to Annecy. Only people who suffer a mechanical breakdown (or I assume an accident or medical problem) will get help between the designated pick-up points on the course. The aim is to avoid having HGV's and coaches crawling along the route and stopping the authorities reopening the roads to other vehicles.

The Edt site also says that people who have passed the time limits will have to go to a pick-up point if they want to use the service. I guess this means that you will also have the choice of continuing the Etape if you are passed by the end-of-course car assuming you have a Plan B for getting back to Annecy if you abandon much later.

PS. There are now 13290 riders entered
  • willy b
    Anyone know when we get our start numbers?

I would imagine it will be quite soon. Maybe in the next week or two. I can't quite remember from teh past two years though!
  • Looks like a great route, easy logistics, lovely start town, nice roads and plenty of challenges.

Have heard others moaning that it's no challenge.

Mrs Wallace and Gromit - who is routinely knocking out imperial centuries with 3000m ascent ini training - rode the route last week and reports it to be tougher than the profile diagrams suggest. There are a lot of undulations after the Col de Leschaux, which all adds up to a cumulative ascent of circa 3800m by the top of Semnoz. The final climb is apparently similar to Alpe D'Huez in terms of severity, so there's plenty of scope for self-abuse before the day is out!