Etape du Tour 2013

Comments

• aaaaaargh insurance rip off

Grrr, having stupidly ticked the 5EU insurance box at registration I received an email today outlining the cover which is poor to say the least

I got EU 10,000,000 medical cover for a one day event this year for £10
    EU1,000 wont go much further than a sprained ankle at the Etape

I know I should have read the small print but I wonder how easy it is to cancel and get a refund?
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    aaaaaargh insurance rip off

Grrr, having stupidly ticked the 5EU insurance box at registration I received an email today outlining the cover which is poor to say the least

I got EU 10,000,000 medical cover for a one day event this year for £10
    EU1,000 wont go much further than a sprained ankle at the Etape

I know I should have read the small print but I wonder how easy it is to cancel and get a refund?
    Don't know about a refund but for 5 euros is it worth the hassle? The insurance also covers you for accidental death (10000 / 15000 €) or permanent invalidity but surprisingly doesn't seem to cover you for your liability to other competitors should you be at fault and cause an accident.

PS. More than 10500 competitors are signed up for the EdT as of yesterday
  • Help! Can anyone post the link to the registration page for l'etape please. Website link just lists v expensive tour operators......want to register and book my own travel and accommodation. V annoying!!
  • js14
    Help! Can anyone post the link to the registration page for l'etape please. Website link just lists v expensive tour operators......want to register and book my own travel and accommodation. V annoying!!
    Well it's here : http://www.asochallenges.com/home?destination=/subscribe/l_etape_du_tour_2013 but you need to go to the French version of the site as far as I know, otherwise you get the list of tour operators as you have already found. Before you can sign up for the EdT, you need to register on the ASO Challenges website with personal details, next of kin, emergency contact numbers etc.

PS The number of entries is now standing at 10600...
  • I appreciate i've left this a bit late, but does anyone know of any other websites that are taking online entries? I've tried the ASO website this morning and it's saying the entries for this year have closed. (Oh dear !) All i can find on the internet are companies offering package deals, with accommodation & travel etc..
  • js14
    I've tried the ASO website this morning and it's saying the entries for this year have closed. (Oh dear !)
    The French version of the site says that you can ask to be put on a waiting list by sending your surname, first name, date of birth and email address to letapedutour@aso.fr. There is no guarantee of a place though so I suppose it depends on whether the tour operators sell all their places or not.

I checked just now and the ASO site is showing 11027 entries whereas when I looked a couple of days ago it was still under the 11000 mark. I guess the original target was 11000 but a few extra people scraped in while ASO was closed for the New Year break. You must have missed out by a whisker.

I wonder how many places are reserved for the tour operators. Maybe Mavic's figure of 14000 cyclists, as reported, wasn't so wrong after all. Anyway a lot of people drop out before the big day and some of them sell on their race numbers but that is strictly forbidden of course :wink: .
  • Thanks for the reply. I've tried to enter through a charity website called Get Kids Going. Hopefully i'll get in the race that way. Fingers crossed !
  • Entries are closed now, and participation is very high.

Places can still be had though with tour operators, although obviously, this is not the cheapest solution.

Anyone looking for a place with hotel/lodging etc. PM me and I can point you in the right direction.
  • I notice all the doom merchants and moaners from earlier in this thread have disappeared.
    Highest number of entrants for an Etape speaks for itself.
    I was not going to enter this year because I found last year such a slog, but when I saw the route, and a circular one to boot, I had to enter, it is such a beautiful part of France, if you have never been there you are in for a treat.
    For those saying it will be too easy, do not believe the hype, it will be a tough challenge. I stayed in Annecy after last years event and climbed the Semnov during my stay, it is an awesome climb that never lets up all the way to the top. Coming right at the end it will be a real test, good luck to everyone who has entered!
  • Revis
    Revis Posts: 12
    I can get a nice route any day of the year. Wanted a challenge. Ventoux is the hardest climb there is, if not then Alpe d'Huez to follow, (but as Schleck said Alpe d'Huez is a 'piece of cake' compared to Ventoux). As such massively disappointed with the choice of route: the place will be packed full, Hotel prices will be sky-high and it won't leave lasting satisfaction.
  • Revis wrote:
    I can get a nice route any day of the year. Wanted a challenge. Ventoux is the hardest climb there is, if not then Alpe d'Huez to follow, (but as Schleck said Alpe d'Huez is a 'piece of cake' compared to Ventoux). As such massively disappointed with the choice of route: the place will be packed full, Hotel prices will be sky-high and it won't leave lasting satisfaction.

I can kind of see where you're coming from in that it's shorter this year and no 'epic' climbs, and yes, I fear it will be too crowded too.

But I got a great B&B in Annecy on the day of the announcement (about 90E a night, with a pool, about 1km from the start), and I think there'll be a great buzz on the day, and it SHOULD be hot and sunny!

And if it looks too easy (which it ain't) then just aim to do it quicker than you would have thought possible......!
  • Revis
    I applaud your enthusiasm sir. Fair point regarding pace, I'm just a sucker for the ones that are a nightmare to complete. How many finished Acte II this year though? Only 25-30%? Very satisfying if you can do it but I can appreciate the argument for an easier stage this year to be more accommodating.
  • Revis wrote:
    I applaud your enthusiasm sir. Fair point regarding pace, I'm just a sucker for the ones that are a nightmare to complete. How many finished Acte II this year though? Only 25-30%? Very satisfying if you can do it but I can appreciate the argument for an easier stage this year to be more accommodating.

Well I finished Acte II, albeit half frozen to death, but I think it was more than 30%, maybe 50? Maybe that was an influence on their decision to shorten this one.

But I think you'll find that final climb will feel pretty tough, not a million miles away from an Alpe d'Huez.
  • Revis
    Haha yup it was pretty chilly right! I remember one of the feed stations jam packed with people wrapped up in heat blankets. I don't know how many started but I was led to believe about 9500 and just checked the site and 3800-odd finished. Think I'll make a pilgrimage to Ventoux this year and try 6 ascents. Fun fun fun :P
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you are doing multiple ascents of Ventoux make sure you do the forest road too - just about doable on a road bike with tougher tyres and MTB shoes for a little bit of walking where the gravel gets too deep.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Revis
    I've wanted to do this for a while. Might just rent out a mountain bike one day and get on it :) would be awesome. Cheers Tom
  • I'm looking forward to seeing British riders and bikeradar forum members packing out the top 10 of this years Etape.

One day I hope I'm as good as all those who are inferring that there are easy climbs!
  • Revis
    Rodrego 'Facetious' Hernandez. Thanks for coming
  • Revis wrote:
    Haha yup it was pretty chilly right! I remember one of the feed stations jam packed with people wrapped up in heat blankets. I don't know how many started but I was led to believe about 9500 and just checked the site and 3800-odd finished. Think I'll make a pilgrimage to Ventoux this year and try 6 ascents. Fun fun fun :P

Nah I am sure it was more like 5900 starters and around 3800 finished so the vast majority made it to Bagneres de Luchon before the broomwagons. I was one of those and to be honest I was really surprised to see so many fall to the cold...I never realised it was that cold until I saw people in foil blankets shivering. It made all my training over the likes of the Lecht, Glenshee and Cairn O mount in the nae so balmy Scottish summer worthwhile....
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Does anyone know what ASO run to attune feed stops? Is it water and bananas or do they go to energy drinks, flap jacks, etc, etc?
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Drinks wise I think it was just water, well that's what I got.

Food wise, there is loads! Sweets, cake, bananas, flapjack, more cake, more sweets, fruit. They're very good!
  • So for those that are riding this year - what training are you currently doing?
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Lots of riding. That's it.
  • Been hard to find time to even do that of late. Got visions of collapsing half-way up semnoz :lol:
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70

Yup in my experience it's just water, usually small plastic bottles of still mineral water.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Thanks for that, I'll get some nun tablets to bring. Though once I buy those we are all guaranteed rain and freezing conditions :-)
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    56mph wrote:

Yup in my experience it's just water, usually small plastic bottles of still mineral water.

1l bottles of Vittel for the last two years, and if its hot, boy will you need them!
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    They also offered powders to put in the water, some form of energy stuff, no idea what though. There was plenty at each feedstation. They topped up your bottles from their large bottles. You would be hard pressed to run short.
  • Revis wrote:
    Rodrego 'Facetious' Hernandez. Thanks for coming

What else do you expect! None of you have ever troubled the podium at the Etape yet all of a sudden you are all claiming this years is too easy!

If it is easy, go and finish first.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    So for those that are riding this year - what training are you currently doing?

Do a tough 4 hour ride.

Then go flat out and push as hard as you can (zone 4 and 5) for an hour.

Repeat a few days later.

That should do it!