F Schleck tests positive for diuretic

Comments

• Mad_Malx wrote:
    Detection window is dose-dependent. Hence the popularity of 'microdosing' (taking frequent small doses instead of less frequent, larger ones - especially last thing at night, in the hope that the Epo will be undetectable by morning). I don't know the details, I doubt the labs are very forthcoming with that info.*

Try this
    http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.o ... /2395.full

Another difficulty relates to the fact that once [Hb] has been raised in athletes by the administration of recombinant ESAs, only microdoses or less frequent injections of the drugs are needed to maintain [Hb] at the high level. In this situation, the window of detection of rhEpo in urine is only 12-18 hours, compared with about 3 days on regular dosing (50 U/kg body weight 3 times a week).

Edit: longer window in blood

Thanks for that, really good link. Working my way through it now, even if a fair chunk of it is over my head.

EDIT-

There's some scary sh1t in there:
    In addition, in vivo Epo gene transfer could probably be detected if applied by athletes, as an IEF study revealed unusual Epo glycosylation forms on allogeneic Epo transfer into skeletal muscle of cynomolgus macaques via adeno-associated virus.72 In the initial studies of adeno-associated virus-mediated allogeneic Epo cDNA transfer to macaques, severe anemia developed in many animals after a few months, which was probably the result of an immune reaction.73,74 However, in using a rapamycin dimerizer-regulated gene expression system, Rivera et al75 achieved controlled, long-term production (up to 6 years) of Epo in rhesus monkeys, with no apparent immune response. Regarding the possibility of Epo gene doping in humans, strategies are under development to specifically amplify intron-less DNA sequences and PCR protocols allowing the detection of small amounts of transgenic DNA in blood.76–78 The tests take into consideration that transgenes are usually derived from the cDNA for the gene to be transferred and cDNA does not contain introns [...] In conclusion, Epo gene transfer is possible but medically little explored with respect to efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity. It seems less likely that any of the techniques has entered the sports scene.

Short form- we're pretty sure we don't have genetically modified dopers yet, but we're ready for 'em.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Short form - we're pretty sure we don't have genetically modified dopers yet, but we're ready for 'em.

Designer riders: Take the protential of a JTL; add Fignon's follicles, a dash of Boonen's panache, strap Stannard's engine to Rolland's pedal stroke (and his fearful grinning pain-face), top off with mature Vockler's race-craft and Cav's PR genius.

Quite watchable.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Macaloon wrote:

Designer riders: Take the protential of a JTL; add Fignon's follicles, a dash of Boonen's panache, strap Stannard's engine to Rolland's pedal stroke (and his fearful grinning pain-face), top off with mature Vockler's race-craft and Cav's PR genius.

Quite watchable.

+ Rasmussen's TT skills
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 16h
    WADA has announced it won't appeal against the decision to ban Frank Schleck for 1 year. Schleck tested positive for doping in the 2012 Tour
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^^FrAndy going to target the Vuelta then?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2h
    Radioshack's statement on Frank Schleck is like a reading comprehension test: "Leopard has decided to not renew the collaboration"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Twitter awash with rumors that Andy is going to OPQS?!?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Twitter awash with rumors that Andy is going to OPQS?!?!

Not sure how much use he'll be in a lead-out train...
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Coming a few days after Trek agree terms with Cancellara, this looks like a change in direction for the team, i.e. Fabian no longer intends to drag the Schlecks up the cols
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    After todays showing, he is not going to see many takers esp. if he wants his brother as part of the deal. Trek got more value out of Bakelants and for a fraction of the money. It's a buyers market and Andy may not be on any big team shopping lists
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    After todays showing, he is not going to see many takers esp

Never mind today; he's had a pretty shocking 18 months, even if part of that was due to injury he's not been in form for a long time.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2013
    Fail
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Fail
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Fail

Not sure what that relates to, and granted he's not having a bad Tour, but I stand by my position that he's not the star signing he once was, and the better teams are not going to want Fränk* too as a condition of him signing.
  • ddraver
    I posted in the wrong thread

Someone tweeting that Frankie's off to Astana?!?!?!
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    I posted in the wrong thread

As the Daily Mail of cycling websites, CN, points out, Astana are a member of MPCC whose rules forbid member teams hiring riders who've served bans of more than 6 months, for a 2 year period after ban.

Never mind - sure Christina Watches will offer him something. Or CCC Polsat.
  • ddraver wrote:

Velonation says it's not true.
  • ddraver
    yep - twitter fail
    - @ddraver
  • Staying at RSNT for the rest of the season

Andy has announced he's staying at Trek next season; wonder whether there'll be room for Fränk?
  • ddraver
    Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 5m
    Schleck brothers to join Cancellara as part of new Trek team next year http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15055 ... -2014.aspx
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    PS. Ive been banging on all the time about the Schlecks irregular performances. Peaks and long troughs. This is often a sure sign of doping.

Contador beasted people from one end of the season to the next.

All this suggests to me is that dirty bertie was/is at it all year round.

This is no time for 'my doper is worse than your doper' :)

The sad thing about Frankie is that he has no love-sick-fan-boys to stick up for him whilst he's being walked to the gallows... :cry:

Surely someone out there will stick up for him... Anyone?

Why stick up for any cheat????

I used to like Vino, then found out he was only exciting because he was juiced. Ditto Contador. Now I have no time for either.
    The athlete is responsible for what is in there system, end of story.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mike6 wrote:

I used to like Vino, then found out he was only exciting because he was juiced. Ditto Contador. Now I have no time for either.

I'll agree on " Why stick up for....".

As for the rest of your quote I've got to say that whether you like or don't like Vino or AC has no meaning at all to either of them. Your "Now I have no time for either." is not anything that they will notice. You're not part of their lives. You've made them an issue in your life and that's no ones problem but yours.
  • mike6
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

As for the rest of your quote I've got to say that whether you like or don't like Vino or AC has no meaning at all to either of them. Your "Now I have no time for either." is not anything that they will notice. You're not part of their lives. You've made them an issue in your life and that's no ones problem but yours.

Wrong. I said I had no time for them, ergo they are not an issue in my life. Anyway, who rattled your cage, did I ask you to verify my opinion of these two riders? I think not.
  • dennisn
    mike6 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Wrong. I said I had no time for them, ergo they are not an issue in my life. Anyway, who rattled your cage, did I ask you to verify my opinion of these two riders? I think not.

Well, you've got to know by now that I make issues out of lots of things. Just like lots of other people. I sort of enjoy taking the alternative(shall we say) view of things. Never been a believer in things being all cut and dried and nice and neatly fitting into the one statement covers everything category. That's too easy.

Also if I like someone and or are friends with someone I'm not the type of person to just forget about them or turn my back on them when something in their life goes wrong or I happen to disagree with them. You end up alone that way.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    mike6 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

If you don't wish for comment on your opinions just don't post them on the world wide web ... I despair sometimes ...
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

If you don't wish for comment on your opinions just don't post them on the world wide web ... I despair sometimes ...

What?????

I think its Dennis you should be talking to about comments on opinions, it was him that said I should not have the one I voiced. Because he did not agree with it.

Its also odd what makes some people despair. :roll:
  • mike6
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Well, you've got to know by now that I make issues out of lots of things. Just like lots of other people. I sort of enjoy taking the alternative(shall we say) view of things. Never been a believer in things being all cut and dried and nice and neatly fitting into the one statement covers everything category. That's too easy.

Also if I like someone and or are friends with someone I'm not the type of person to just forget about them or turn my back on them when something in their life goes wrong or I happen to disagree with them. You end up alone that way.

No idea whet you mean here Dennis. You think I liked them so much I used to send them Birthday cards but stopped when I found out they were cheats?

All cut and dried??? They cheated, tested positive, got banned, so I stopped supporting them as riders. Why do you have a problem with that, are you related to one of them or something?
  • dennisn
    mike6 wrote:

All cut and dried??? They cheated, tested positive, got banned, so I stopped supporting them as riders.

Just how did you "support them as riders"? Send them money? What did this "support" entail? Did you drop them a line telling them you weren't supporting them anymore? Do you think they noticed your stopping support for them? What was their responce? :?