The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    dw300 wrote:
    Could this be the most epic Strava ride in the Belfast area? Does anyone know this person?

45 miles, 3,500ft of climbing, 6 KoMs and two 2nd places .. he's extremely fast for a guy on a bike, but it seems too slow for a car .. maybe a 50cc scooter?

Nothing there that wouldn't be possible on a bike that I can see, but all in one ride is very good going! Proper mountain goat.

What thinkest thou?
    Possible but if it's a one off on the account I'd call moped.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I did some further investigation and he is followed by a lost of the fast guys locally, and has ridden with big groups, so it seem kosher. Blinding ride.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    It's Friday - It's Northern Ireland - 4hrs of work left

Going cycling later! might buy cake
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    It's Friday - It's Northern Ireland - 4hrs of work left - its pi$$ing down again......

Going cycling round Lough Neagh tomorrow- going to get, yet another, soaking
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    PedroJake wrote:
    It's Friday - It's Northern Ireland - 4hrs of work left - its pi$$ing down again......

Going cycling round Lough Neagh tomorrow- going to get, yet another, soaking
    Yes this is the unfortunate truth.
  • dw300
    Seasons in Northern Ireland

November - May : Winter
    June - October : Monsoon Season
    Those 3 unseasonable days in April that never fall on a weekend : Summer
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Seasons in Northern Ireland

November - May : Winter
    June - October : Monsoon Season
    Those 3 unseasonable days in April that never fall on a weekend : Summer

Coffee over keyboard ffs
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Who was it? Peter Hawkins, 5th overall in british premier calender points? You'd be surprised by the standard of some of the belfast area guys who race, some of the best in Ireland. Added that many of the A1s aren't even on strava
  • dw300
    Vino2007 wrote:
    Who was it? Peter Hawkins, 5th overall in british premier calender points? You'd be surprised by the standard of some of the belfast area guys who race, some of the best in Ireland. Added that many of the A1s aren't even on strava

If you're referring to my link then no, it's not Hawkins, I follow him already. Unless of course racers have alternate accounts for their own reference, and use the 'official' ones for a bit of mis-information .. ?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    On the OP: My name is Rob and I am trying to be an alcoholic...

Meanwhile, you can have yer Narden Ireland weather back.
    Went out on Wednesday evening. Forecast said it would clear up by 4ish. After 127 bananas and wired to the moon I decided to go out 'cos there was no way I would have slept that night. Straight into gales and wind and after battling against a headwind thinking I was going to be blown home, the Isle on my left somewhere in the gloom. The sun came out, not a breath of wind and I looked like I had crawled out of a slurry pit by the time I got home. The lump underneath me was just discernable as a bike.
    Nows its pi$$ed down since 4pm. I have a stinking cold and my broadband is slow as a week in Barlinnie. I'm banjaxed.
    The worst of it is: that the bloody weatherman/woman always gives you a cheery smile at the end of delivering more news of the monsoon. If I could just catch one of them...
    No idea why i wrote this, just blethering.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    On the OP: My name is Rob and I am trying to be an alcoholic...

Meanwhile, you can have yer Narden Ireland weather back.
    Went out on Wednesday evening. Forecast said it would clear up by 4ish. After 127 bananas and wired to the moon I decided to go out 'cos there was no way I would have slept that night. Straight into gales and wind and after battling against a headwind thinking I was going to be blown home, the Isle on my left somewhere in the gloom. The sun came out, not a breath of wind and I looked like I had crawled out of a slurry pit by the time I got home. The lump underneath me was just discernable as a bike.
    Nows its pi$$ed down since 4pm. I have a stinking cold and my broadband is slow as a week in Barlinnie. I'm banjaxed.
    The worst of it is: that the bloody weatherman/woman always gives you a cheery smile at the end of delivering more news of the monsoon. If I could just catch one of them...
    No idea why i wrote this, just blethering.
    Must be the fever talking
  • Vino2007
    dw300 wrote:
    Vino2007 wrote:

If you're referring to my link then no, it's not Hawkins, I follow him already. Unless of course racers have alternate accounts for their own reference, and use the 'official' ones for a bit of mis-information .. ?

haha you never know! I'm "C H" on strava, try to find me and I'll follow you!
  • dw300
    Ha .. I've seen your name plenty!

Usually in front of mine .. o_O
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Embarrassed that we produced this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19147279
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    Must have been very disappointing for her, but I'd say give it a few days and she'll regret that.
  • dw300
    Wasn't following that .. but if all those facts are true, what's wrong with saying what she did?

Am I right in saying that if she'd ridden in an earlier round she'd have got a medal even if she'd not ridden the final?

If so that seems a bit of a sh*tty decision by Sutton given their dominance, doesn't it? And considering she was planning retirement too. I don't think it can be justified by saying they won, because my granny could have probably managed them to a gold medal.

Sounds like the others didn't speak to her because they understand how fuming she'd be.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • I understand where you're coming from but to say because they are favorites to win and a team member is retiring they shouldn't put out their strongest team isn't right. If they were to do that and then fail to achieve gold then the coaches would be asked serious questions.

However it does seem a strange one that she believes her training was actually better than some of the others (although of course she would say so..), was told that she would get a ride, and even when another member was vomiting shortly before the race was still not selected. It sounds as if Sutton wasn't entirely truthful with her about his plans so you can understand her anger. Not really the most professional way to go about dealing with it though.

I could be wrong, but was it the female team pursuit semi final that the GB had a really tough fight or am I getting mixed up?
  • dw300
    WheelieBad wrote:
    I understand where you're coming from but to say because they are favorites to win and a team member is retiring they shouldn't put out their strongest team isn't right. If they were to do that and then fail to achieve gold then the coaches would be asked serious questions.

However it does seem a strange one that she believes her training was actually better than some of the others (although of course she would say so..), was told that she would get a ride, and even when another member was vomiting shortly before the race was still not selected. It sounds as if Sutton wasn't entirely truthful with her about his plans so you can understand her anger. Not really the most professional way to go about dealing with it though.

I could be wrong, but was it the female team pursuit semi final that the GB had a really tough fight or am I getting mixed up?

Yeh, it sounds a lot like she involuntarily took one for the team, by being kept on edge and hyped up making her the ultimate super-sub if required, when there wasn't actually much chance of her getting a race. I presume she suspects this, but no one will ever know what was in Sutton's head. He may well have done the best for the team, but it's a sh*tty way to be treated.

Bearing in mind her situation, even if the right decisions were made, I'd still be kicking off if I was told I was going to be racing.

A rule that non competing members still get a medal, or all team members must take part in at least one race would easily sort out this situation. Focusing your whole life of something for a minimum of 4 years and having the rug pulled from under you 30mins prior to the final event would be immensely galling.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Not sure why Sutton would dream of changing a lineup that has ridden multiple WR's to include a rider old enough to mother the entire team.

They have a winning formula,Wendy knows this. And let's face it she's only there because her event was removed.

Nothing more than bitter,and given the interview with Watson, nothing is going to change so well done to her for hammering in the final nail. Should never have raced and the team reflected that.

Then again, all there is to go on is one side of a story that has many.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    alright folks, anyone for the sperrins on sunday?

of and chris, a cycle club in Larne? Most people want an excuse to get out of the place, not head towards it :P
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    paul_mck wrote:
    alright folks, anyone for the sperrins on sunday?

of and chris, a cycle club in Larne? Most people want an excuse to get out of the place, not head towards it :P
    Tis a great idea! Was wondering when you would weigh in :lol:
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I dont use the main forum much, so took me a while to spot this :)
  • dw300
    I don't like the look of the weather on Sunday, so I'm going climbing up Divis on Saturday. I figure there are a couple of good climbs there that will give me something to compare too.

50 miles and 2500ft of climbing. I don't expect to get anywhere near the best times for these climbs since they've been done so often, and since Knockagh and Woodburn kicked my a$$ last week. Although the wind is the opposite direction entirely and it should be dry and warm, which might help. I'm looking for under 11 minutes from the gates to the summit.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1031035

I'm gona make a segment from the bottom of Pond Park Road East in Lisburn to the summit of Divis, as long as there aren't any traffic lights along the way. It's an 11 mile climb from there, with 1200ft of climbing.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    We're childsitting this weekend so it's off to the zoo for me! lol

Intend to start this http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/91 today when I get home.
  • dw300

Intend to start this http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/91 today when I get home.

The zoo is class! The Red Pandas are the best animals.

I'm looking forward to feedback on the plan. Are you intending some other rides as well as these? Or are you running and swimming as well?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

The zoo is class! The Red Pandas are the best animals.

I'm looking forward to feedback on the plan. Are you intending some other rides as well as these? Or are you running and swimming as well?

Road riding also + the usual daily swim and 2-3 runs :) No Koi pond anymore :!: :!: :cry:

My debut TRI is off this year, had a scary dental work quote yesterday which ultimately has to come first :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • dw300
    That sucks about the Tri, but you'll be faster when you reschedule!

I rode Divis today .. I had a planned a gentle-ish route, but the roads were closed for the Ulster GP. This ment I climbed quite a bit more than I intended. Add the winds, and I wasn't that fast. Oh, and descending the Glen Road .. that's the most god awful road surface I've ever seen .. It's been dug up about 1,000,000 times and was fatiguing my legs trying to get to the bottom of it!

Anyway .. we now have a new Cat 2 climb segment in Belfast .. 5.6 miles at 4.4% .. 1290ft / 393m of climbing ..

http://app.strava.com/segments/2077229
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

I rode Divis today .. I had a planned a gentle-ish route, but the roads were closed for the Ulster GP. This ment I climbed quite a bit more than I intended. Add the winds, and I wasn't that fast. Oh, and descending the Glen Road .. that's the most god awful road surface I've ever seen .. It's been dug up about 1,000,000 times and was fatiguing my legs trying to get to the bottom of it!

Anyway .. we now have a new Cat 2 climb segment in Belfast .. 5.6 miles at 4.4% .. 1290ft / 393m of climbing ..

That segment :shock:
  • dw300 wrote:

Nice work, I'll have to try that some day. I've done the run along the hills up there (from the carpark near the top :roll: ). What was the road surface like? I know there's a path for walkers but couldn't remember it's condition for bikes. I seem to remember a lot of cow shit along it..

Have you tried doing Hannahstown Rd around there? It just goes up in a straight line. Not sure of gradient but seems pretty steep by car..
  • Vino2007
    Good work, never quite understood why there were three seperate segments up to divis but not one for the full duration up.