The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Sean
    Keep us up dated on how things go since the fit.
    I know I am only on the bike a few months but honestly think that it needs set up correctly. I'll give it another while after getting a few miles in to see how or if I improve any.
    Where are they based.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    edited February 2013
    Carl he is in the Spring and Airbrake building on the corner of Linenhall Street in Belfast. Regardless of how long you are riding. I would always recomend getting it fitted for you. You can oay the £60 for this man or between £150 - £200 for a retul fit. But the Retul is very focused on a racing position. I like Leo because he is a physio so his core strength advice and position was great. I do know that his measurments were somewhat off for someone else, but He did give me measurements to play about with if my back does not improve. e.g A larger stem, shorter crank arms etc. But said to see how I get on with his current positions. I have not had a long cycle since, but have not felt any pressure on my back at all.

UPDATE******
    Here is the link
    http://nibiomechanics.co.uk/#/bike-fitting/4551751896
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Sodafarl wrote:
    Sean
    Keep us up dated on how things go since the fit.
    I know I am only on the bike a few months but honestly think that it needs set up correctly. I'll give it another while after getting a few miles in to see how or if I improve any.
    Where are they based.

In the mean time try and get a picture of you sideways on your bike and post it on here. I did that before and got a few good tips. No where near as accurate as now but ai did help
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Sodafarl
    Sean
    Thanks I will definitely look into it. Not so sure about the picture bit though :oops:
  • Anyone got an old steel framed road bike gathering dust in the garage? Or even just a frame?

Looking to replace my ugly, cheap MTB with a second road bike.

Preferably Reynolds 501/531 or similar, but anything considered. In rideable condition with mudguard eyelets. 54-56cm ish.

Looking to start commuting more, and the Dee Street bridge closure is driving me nuts!

Scouring eBay and Gumtree but struggling to find anything £100 or under.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Stupot101 wrote:
    Anyone got an old steel framed road bike gathering dust in the garage? Or even just a frame?

Looking to replace my ugly, cheap MTB with a second road bike.

Preferably Reynolds 501/531 or similar, but anything considered. In rideable condition with mudguard eyelets. 54-56cm ish.

Looking to start commuting more, and the Dee Street bridge closure is driving me nuts!

Scouring eBay and Gumtree but struggling to find anything £100 or under.

keep an eye on this page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/417701214932284/
  • Hadn't seen that page before, thanks for the tip!
  • Sodafarl
    From today in LIDL if anyone is interested, they selling their workstands, £29.99. Of Course I bought one from CRC 4 weeks ago and not at £29.99. Only seen it on the NI site.

Link http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l ... _28589.htm
    If any left that is.

Soda
  • Dirk1978
    Dirk1978 Posts: 148
    Sean,

How long did the bike fit take?

Cheers
  • seanorawe
    Dirk1978 wrote:
    Sean,

How long did the bike fit take?

Cheers

1.5 Hours
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Causeway Cycle Club are running a sportive event on Sunday 12th of May to raise funds for 'The Caring Caretaker'. There are two runs, one of 15 miles for families and a route of 50 miles for those with more experience. Registration is from 8:30 to 9:30 at Coleraine Rugby Club with the event starting at 10. There will be refreshments available afterwards. It should be a great event. All welcome!
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Causeway Cycle Club are running a sportive event on Sunday 12th of May to raise funds for 'The Caring Caretaker'. There are two runs, one of 15 miles for families and a route of 50 miles for those with more experience. Registration is from 8:30 to 9:30 at Coleraine Rugby Club with the event starting at 10. There will be refreshments available afterwards. It should be a great event. All welcome!

Is there any poster/website for this with route maps/details etc and I will post it on our club facebook page/website.
  • seanorawe
    I noticed Lidl have gillets in for £9.99. Has anyone ever bought one? Any use? Pumps for £4.99 also
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe wrote:
    I noticed Lidl have gillets in for £9.99. Has anyone ever bought one? Any use? Pumps for £4.99 also
    I didn't buy one this time round as I now have a Louis Garneau (£32 mind you) which is excellent. I did buy a Lidl one before that but it's not stowable in a rear pocket and a bit thick and baggy for serious use. But decent enough for round town. The new one looks more like the "performance" gilet it claims to be and may fold down quite well. I didn't unpack one to look at though.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • i went into LIDL at Connswater yesterday and they didn't have any cycling gear. :?

Is it only certain stores?
  • Sodafarl
    Stupot101 wrote:
    i went into LIDL at Connswater yesterday and they didn't have any cycling gear. :?

Is it only certain stores?
    Probably a bit, most stuff sold on the day. Seen some gear left in Newtownabbey beside the Abbeycentre but not a lot.
    Soda
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Causeway Cycle Club are running a sportive event on Sunday 12th of May to raise funds for 'The Caring Caretaker'. There are two runs, one of 15 miles for families and a route of 50 miles for those with more experience. Registration is from 8:30 to 9:30 at Coleraine Rugby Club with the event starting at 10. There will be refreshments available afterwards. It should be a great event. All welcome!

Is there any poster/website for this with route maps/details etc and I will post it on our club facebook page/website.

Here's the longer route
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/3004609
  • If any of you guys are down on the CAUSEWAY COAST over the Easter holidays you're more than welcome to join us on a club run. Leaving Costa Coffee, Riverside, Coleraine @9:00 on Saturday 17-18 mph avg, Sunday 9:30 14 mph avg, Tuesday and all through the week 9:15 17-18 mph avg.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Did my first ride of the year this morning (asthma and snow kept me off this late). Hated it. 20 miles around Mallusk, Templepatrick and 7mile straight. Head wind every direction I went, didn't eat right, had a route planned but pussied out and took the same route back into the wind again and actually covering more miles.

Try again tomorrow.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Whatever happened to THMNET ? Anyone know.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Sodafarl
    Wow real sunshine in Norn Iron it was great. Anyone out early rode into work at about 7.10 am was freezing , suppose what else can you expect here still a couple of inches of snow in my back garden in Glengormley (it definitely has its own climate.
    Lets hope the sun stays out for a while.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    It has been lovely all week. Went out yesterday afternoon and had to shed layers. 3 degrees on Friday night then 13 on Saturday.
  • seanorawe
    I went on sat morning at half 7 for a run to Jordanstown along the tow path. I had to put full finger gloves over my mits, it was bloody cold. This also confirmedI need better mits. As soon as thet extra layer went on, the cramp in my hand went away
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Anyone up for a game of 2 man hunt?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Is anyone doing the Roe Valley Sportive this Sunday?
  • The North Down GP passed me today, coming the other way thankfully! Wouldn't have enjoyed being passed by the peloton. I read there were a few nasty crashes. :(
  • Whatever happened to THMNET ? Anyone know.
    Banned :O
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    I see LIDL are selling more Cycling stuff from tomorrow - might pick up a few extra base layers as with this rain and commuting I need as many as I can get - hasn't been much fun slipping on a damp base layer before heading out to ride home from work!
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Decided to add some real hills ( Glencregah Road, Manse Road) . into my commute. If I haven't time for quantity miles, I'll go for quality instead.
  • Decided to add some real hills ( Glencregah Road, Manse Road) . into my commute. If I haven't time for quantity miles, I'll go for quality instead.

Ever done the Rocky Road? Runs between the Manse Road and the dual carriageway. Must be the steepest road in Belfast. Haven't tried it myself, and won't be anytime soon!