The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I've tried a lap of Rocky Road/Manse/Glencregagh and the dual carriageway. Once seemed more than ample.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    The fair-weather cyclist is baaaaaaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkkk!!!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300
    If anyone lives in the Dundonald area and is looking for another group to ride with feel free to sign up. Alternatively it's another place to try and flog old parts!

Dundonald Cyclists

Also .. upgraded to an entry level carbon. Gained a MPH or two between that and the new Vittoria's / tube combo and I'm not even fit yet. It's a Mekk Poggio 2.0 - £840 from Wiggle. Currently in the process of removing a kilo from it which should be achieved if I pull the trigger on a wheelbuild from VeloCafeMagasin.

2G_2_5.png
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • I've tried a lap of Rocky Road/Manse/Glencregagh and the dual carriageway. Once seemed more than ample.

Make it up the Rocky Road? Strava seems to suggest a lot of walkers!
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    dw300 wrote:
    If anyone lives in the Dundonald area and is looking for another group to ride with feel free to sign up. Alternatively it's another place to try and flog old parts!

Dundonald Cyclists

Also .. upgraded to an entry level carbon. Gained a MPH or two between that and the new Vittoria's / tube combo and I'm not even fit yet. It's a Mekk Poggio 2.0 - £840 from Wiggle. Currently in the process of removing a kilo from it which should be achieved if I pull the trigger on a wheelbuild from VeloCafeMagasin.

2G_2_5.png

Nice, whats the position like on it? Comfortable?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • dw300 wrote:

Dundonald Cyclists

Like it. Great price for full carbon.

I'm from Dundonald. Live in Sydenham now but pass through the old neighbourhood on most rides!
  • dw300
    Sean : The front end is lower than the Specialized Allez I had previously, and by a fair amount, probably over an inch. So the old neck muscles have got a bit stiff on occasions, but the bike handles better and is far more comfortable, so I don't really care.

King : Probably seen you out on the road at some stage. Do you have a Strava account?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,676
    Magic8Ball wrote:
    Whatever happened to THMNET ? Anyone know.
    Banned :O

Banned ?! For what ?. Is magic8ball TMHNET ?

Well done that man. You're not a proper militant forumite unless you have been banned.
    If you haven't been banned, you are a squarepants vicar/nun.

On the subject of weather. I looked accross the water at the emerald isle and yes, indeed, it was sunny and funnily enough, it was sunny here to.

Are their swathes of Unionists going to Holland to see the New King Billy?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dw300 wrote:
    King : Probably seen you out on the road at some stage. Do you have a Strava account?

Yeah, I've only been cycling since November though. So I'm not sure you would have seen me from the comfort of your turbo trainer! :P

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1341847
  • Speaking of Strava, any experts know if GPS errors can be fixed?

This is tonight's ride: http://app.strava.com/activities/51953450

Last time I did the Church Road out of Holywood I bailed out. Stopped for a couple of minutes and then finished. Powered up it tonight! But if you look at the route map the GPS lost signal just before the start of the segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/3652349

Don't wanna miss out on the PB!

Got a few other PBs and a fifth overall too. :D
  • MisterMuncher
    I've tried a lap of Rocky Road/Manse/Glencregagh and the dual carriageway. Once seemed more than ample.

Make it up the Rocky Road? Strava seems to suggest a lot of walkers!

I've got up it, yeah. TBF, it only averages the same as Glencregagh, it's just more front-loaded, so to speak, and there's no way to get a decent run-up, so to speak. It's 500yards of brutality and no reward at all on the other side. Might as well keep on going up the Manse Road and across Ballylenaghan Road. By the time you pass the Golf Club the roads point down and open up a bit. There's a few lovely 8-10 mile laps to be had in them thar hills.
  • dw300
    Speaking of Strava, any experts know if GPS errors can be fixed?

This is tonight's ride: http://app.strava.com/activities/51953450

Last time I did the Church Road out of Holywood I bailed out. Stopped for a couple of minutes and then finished. Powered up it tonight! But if you look at the route map the GPS lost signal just before the start of the segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/3652349

Don't wanna miss out on the PB!

Got a few other PBs and a fifth overall too. :D

I once edited a file using notepad to remove erroneous points. I think that was from a .gpx rather than a .fit, but it might work the same .. once you work out where each line of data starts and ends it shouldn't be too hard.

Added you btw.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • No worries, added you.

I've emailed Strava to see if they can fix it. If not I'll try your (less lazy) approach.
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    What a great day to be out on the bike - so quick coming home from work in the sunshine I even bettered my own KOM time on this one - http://app.strava.com/activities/52894442#954072165 - considering I did the previous time at night with no traffic and a ridiculous tailwind I'm quite pleased with myself. Thankfully no cycling in tomorrow's forecast rain, doing 160K with a load of workmates for charity on Friday so a little break is in order.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Step_7 wrote:
    What a great day to be out on the bike - so quick coming home from work in the sunshine I even bettered my own KOM time on this one - http://app.strava.com/activities/52894442#954072165 - considering I did the previous time at night with no traffic and a ridiculous tailwind I'm quite pleased with myself. Thankfully no cycling in tomorrow's forecast rain, doing 160K with a load of workmates for charity on Friday so a little break is in order.
    Totally agree a great day yesterday it was a pleasure to cycle round Belfast.
    Glad I wasn't in Mallusk to see you fly past me.
    Good luck on Friday.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    oh Im 4th on that, gonna have to have another dig at it :P
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    paul_mck wrote:
    oh Im 4th on that, gonna have to have another dig at it :P

:mrgreen: Time to get my excuses ready then.... :lol: Standing start at the lights and needed to turn into Bernice road so had to brake a little at the end... ;)

There, that should cover it.... :twisted: Its on my commute home from work so I get plenty of chances to have a go at it.
  • We (Causeway Cycle Club) are running our Sportive this Sunday 12th May leaving from Coleraine Rugby Club. All proceeds to The Caring Caretaker's favourite charities. Two runs, one of 15 miles one of 50. A lovely coastal run folks. All welcome!
  • dw300
    Any more events anytime soon that BR folks will be attending?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • paul_mck
    bangor coastal then maracycle is next for me.
  • Bangor Coastal, Lap the Lough, and the Giant's Causeway for me. Fairly crapping myself about the Causeway one!
  • paul_mck
    you should, its a brutal bastid.
  • You do it last year? The only thing that worries me is facing the Torr Head Road after 100 miles.
  • paul_mck
    yeah we done the middle route though so hitting Torr around 70miles. was not easy at all. legs were in bits by the top. I didnt walk and I didnt fall off though so Im proud :)

25% gradients were the norm lol.
  • Never been down the road. Strava says it's four Category 4 hills in succession? So it's up and down rather than one long hill?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Bann Wheelers Annual Causeway Cycle Challenge is on the 28th July. Great undulating course with great views along the coast from Ballycastle. All very welcome with all monies going to local charities

391608_10151908676276679_1063264725_n.jpg

Enter online here HERE

35 Miles route

60 miles route
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Never been down the road. Strava says it's four Category 4 hills in succession? So it's up and down rather than one long hill?

It's a sucession of 4 short very sharp hills - very brutal but amazing scenery!!

I did the long route last year....really enjoyed the last 5miles!!! all downhill into Ballycastle.

Got to say well organised although timings chips are a waste. but CRC supported it well with impromptu feed stops out the back of a 4x4
  • The Bann Wheelers one looks a good route. It's six days before my wedding though, so doubt I'll get a day pass!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Bann Wheelers looks top draw. Good to see the Spar are doing their bit. :D
  • MisterMuncher
    Keep a wee eye out for any dodgy looking Cannondale Bad boys for sale, lads. My much beloved was swiped today. D lock and secure car-park be damned. Spec in "Road Stolen".

Now. I had a grand saved to buy a CAAD10 as a fair weather bike I'm needing to plough into a multipurpose steed now. ANy suggestions welcome.