Tour de France Stage 10 *Spoiler*

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited July 2012 in Pro race
I've logged on this morning and all of the current threads are getting a bit similar in content if you know what I mean so I thought I'd start today's racing thread if that's ok.

I've backed Evans today but is there any chance of the whole thing staying together and Sagan popping up at the end? there is a rather lumpy bit before that though, a Cat too much?
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I hope Cadel has a go today. He has to try something and there are few sensible opportunities left, if any. Not that today is a sensible opportunity but you get the feeling that only a suicidal effort stands any chance at all and it will be death or glory. Most likely death. But Evans certainly has spirit, perhaps more than most, I can't see him wanting to tow Wiggo all the way to Paris.

That said, I do hope Wiggo wins the tour. I'd just like to see Evans go down fighting. I'm sure he will.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    2012_tour_de_france_rest_day1_bradley_wiggins_team_sky1a.jpg

2012_tour_de_france_rest_day1_cadel_evans_bmc_racing_ride1a.jpg

2012_tour_de_france_stage10_profile_live_tv.png
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Not a wild fan of Nibs but with his descending I can see him trying to open up a gap on the descent of the Colombier or Richemond. However I've just gone onto Google maps and I'm not sure either are technical enough. I think Evans and Wiggins are too similar for either to put some time into the other
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    2012_tour_de_france_rest_day1_bradley_wiggins_team_sky1a.jpg

Spielberg wouldn't have cast him in "Schindlers List" as he's too skinny.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yip - thank god we ve got some actual racing again - Should be a good one hopefully, let's see if "UKPS" really exists or not! Hoping for another 4X style decent like St. 8 too! That was great to watch, Liquigas should have had Dan Atherton and Gravesy riding! :D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone know much about the final descent?

Technical? Slow? Fast?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Anyone know much about the final descent?

Technical? Slow? Fast?

I think Inner Ring has said its quite twisty and windy and not very good for catching or overtaking. So if that is the case, and someone.... Actually no this is the descent of the Grand Colombier, Inner Ring says the final descent is - and I quote - "not technical with just a couple of hairpins and plenty of fresh tarmac."
  • rick_chasey
    Shame.

I guess Frank will be pleased...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This has breakaway written all over it IMO. Sky aren't going to burn themselves out chasing the early break and 30 of the last 40km is downhill.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    This has breakaway written all over it IMO. Sky aren't going to burn themselves out chasing the early break and 30 of the last 40km is downhill.

Looks like it'll pan out a little like Sunday.

Sky not too bothered, liquigas take it up?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    RichN95 wrote:

Maybe. Then again it could be a stage where it takes a long time for the early break to go, meaning they arent far enough ahead if someone behind decides to turn the hurt on the Grand Colombier. Interested to see if anyone will do given tomorrow's stage.
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:

Looks like it'll pan out a little like Sunday.

Sky not too bothered, liquigas take it up?

I think so. Liquigas have two potential cards, Nibs with a good descent (although the lack of technicality may rule that out) or Sagan if he can stay in touch. I'd like to think they would have a dabble today.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    Sagan won't stay in touch. The grand colombier is very difficult.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sagan won't stay in touch. The grand colombier is very difficult.

+1

Sagan's job is to go as slowly as possible without getting eliminated
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I imagine the Grand Colombiere is more suited to Sky's UKPS style riding than anything else we've seen so far this Tour - I'd expect them to whittle the lead group down up there, probably down to a dozen or so. They might even want to strip it right down if they are worried about Nibs on the descent, could be Wiggins / Froome / Evans by the top (and maybe VDB - I sense good form from him if he gets the rub of the green). Doubt Evans would attack on the descent in those circumstances - too far from the finish and he'd be better off consolidating his podium place and waiting for another day. VDB to break off the front and take the win?
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    I imagine the Grand Colombiere is more suited to Sky's UKPS style riding than anything else we've seen so far this Tour - I'd expect them to whittle the lead group down up there, probably down to a dozen or so. They might even want to strip it right down if they are worried about Nibs on the descent, could be Wiggins / Froome / Evans by the top (and maybe VDB - I sense good form from him if he gets the rub of the green). Doubt Evans would attack on the descent in those circumstances - too far from the finish and he'd be better off consolidating his podium place and waiting for another day. VDB to break off the front and take the win?

Really? It's a very uneven gradient - and often steep. It's very Pyrenean for an alpine climb.

Sky had to let people go and catch them on the next climb in the equivalent Dauphine stage.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

Really? It's a very uneven gradient - and often steep. It's very Pyrenean for an alpine climb.

Sky had to let people go and catch them on the next climb in the equivalent Dauphine stage.

I thought it looked a bit like the Joux Plane, but I should probably look a bit more carefully!
  • rick_chasey
    PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.jpg
  • bigmat
    I reckon they'll control that. 12% isn't that steep, and there are a couple of false flats to recover on.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Any chance that RNT will try something? Everyone is focused on Evans and on Liquigas but the Shack have 5 riders in the top 20 and while it's hard to imagine any of them being a real threat given the time gaps (and the talent) they could try the old one-two and keep trying it.

No, you're right that's ridiculous they're going to defend their top 10 places aren't they!?
  • rick_chasey
    Paulie W wrote:
    Any chance that RNT will try something? Everyone is focused on Evans and on Liquigas but the Shack have 5 riders in the top 20 and while it's hard to imagine any of them being a real threat given the time gaps (and the talent) they could try the old one-two and keep trying it.

No, you're right that's ridiculous they're going to defend their top 10 places aren't they!?

Might get in a break.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sky need to be selective with their defending. Only attacks by Evans, Nibali, JVDB and perhaps Menchov should be responded to. Anyone else and they should just make sure there aren't any daft loses.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bigmat
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky need to be selective with their defending. Only attacks by Evans, Nibali, JVDB and perhaps Menchov should be responded to. Anyone else and they should just make sure there aren't any daft loses.

Does Menchov attack? In fact, does Cadel attack on HC climbs? Can't remember it - I guess he always used to be hanging on to a juiced lead group which (hopefully) is no longer the case, but on the other hand he's 35 - would be impressive for him to start now.
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Does Menchov attack? In fact, does Cadel attack on HC climbs? Can't remember it - I guess he always used to be hanging on to a juiced lead group which (hopefully) is no longer the case, but on the other hand he's 35 - would be impressive for him to start now.

Menchov attacks.

Last time he did he fell off going uphill mind.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Is this Evan's last Tour?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:

This is a good point. I hope Sky are not a victim of their own success today and get "jersey fever" thinking they need to defend it at all costs. Brad said the ideal situation was to take it the day before Paris but you don't get to choose the day. Surely knowledge that they can pull back some time in the TT will mean sensible riding.
    @JaunePeril

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Remembering the Dauphine stage (which I hadn't realised was quite so similar to today's stage), the GC group at the end was about 40 or 50 riders.
  • Yellow Peril
    BigMat wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Menchov attacks.

lol. I remember that, wasn't it on the Alpe a few years ago? He sped off for 20 yards and realised that he didn't have his stabilisers on!
    @JaunePeril

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    BigMat wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Menchov attacks.

lol. I remember that, wasn't it on the Alpe a few years ago? He sped off for 20 yards and realised that he didn't have his stabilisers on!

It was on a jaunt into Italy. The stage was also noable for Peireiro falling of a cliff and Valv.Piti being asked for a quick swab of his mouth.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent