Tdf Stage 3 *Spoiler*

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    knedlicky wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The main solution would be to remove the 3km rule for uphill finishes
    I don't think the 3 km rule applies to mountain finishes, i.e. categorised climbs. Today's finish was uphill but not a categorised climb.

It was a 4th cat, wasn't it?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    Robbie Hunter sez it's rubbing other riders faces in it with that kind of celebration. Aren't all celebrations rubbing everyone's faces in it?

Unlike, say, Robbie Hunter when he bossed the might of the Motorpoint and Endura squads at the Tour of Mumbai last year.

27ffb8a25c72e9faa69d48e89158071a.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The main solution would be to remove the 3km rule for uphill finishes
    I don't think the 3 km rule applies to mountain finishes, i.e. categorised climbs. Today's finish was uphill but not a categorised climb.
    It was a 4th cat, wasn't it?
    Just had another look at the stage plan and you're right. So now I'm confused as to when and when not the rule applies. Maybe the rule still applies for 4th cat finishes??
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Turfle wrote:
    Well I think there is a line, but I don't think Sagan has crossed it. As long as he's not aiming his celebrations at riders then I've no problem with however he celebrates.
    I find his celebrations refreshingly naive, not cocky or 'rubbing it in', which by contrast I think some riders come close to doing.

I did however hear an ex-professional today say Sagan would have to be careful, because if he carries on winning with such apparent ease, he might be considered to not be following Hinault's maxim, i.e. it's fine to defeat people but not to humiliate them. Perhaps he needs to cross the line looking as if was more effort than he now shows.

I'm sure it was effort today - in the interview a couple of minutes after he'd crossed the line, he was unable to comfortably answer sometimes, as he was still catching his breath.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Would love to have seen a full on Cav vs Sagan vs EBH battle for green this year.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Turfle wrote:
    Would love to have seen a full on Cav vs Sagan vs EBH battle for green this year.

Not sure you can rule it out yet, Sky team orders not withstanding.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Turfle
    knedlicky wrote:
    I find his celebrations refreshingly naive, not cocky or 'rubbing it in', which by contrast I think some riders come close to doing.

I did however hear an ex-professional today say Sagan would have to be careful, because if he carries on winning with such apparent ease, he might be considered to not be following Hinault's maxim, i.e. it's fine to defeat people but not to humiliate them. Perhaps he needs to cross the line looking as if was more effort than he now shows.

I'm sure it was effort today - in the interview a couple of minutes after he'd crossed the line, he was unable to comfortably answer sometimes, as he was still catching his breath.

Yep, I agree with that.
    LangerDan wrote:
    Not sure you can rule it out yet, Sky team orders not withstanding.

We'll see Cav vs Sagan all the way to Paris I'm sure, but EBH won't pick up anything at all on the flat stages. The big downside of Cav at Sky, is EBH not competing for green.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Pross wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Huh? Wiggins shouldn't benefit because he should have been ahead of the crash, is that what you're saying??

Nope, let me explain: (a) Wiggins stopped (b) he didnt need to stop - in light of all the replays Ive seen, (c) He stopped knowing that he would get the 3km rule protection.

The origins of the 3km rule is of the course the 1km rule - which was introduced because so much can happen in the last kilometer of a stage that isn’t a measure of a rider’s physical ability or skill, but rather the luck of the rider. In recent years it was extended to 3km. In light of the underlying purpose for this rule, a rider stopping opportunistically is clearly not within the spirit of the rule.

The worst example of the injustices of the rule is still last years Tour - stage 2 I think.

But what was the point of him not stopping? He wasn't going to win the stage but equally without the crash he wouldn't have lost any time. How is that abusing the rule in any way? Even the riders not affected directly by the crash would have struggled to get their momentum back on a hill like that having slowed to avoid the carnage and it's not only Wiggins that 'benefitted' so why single him out?

Didn't you know? All GC contenders must finish in the top 10 now on every stage, to avoid any potential carnage :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tjallingii has broken his hip.

Tommy D has separated his shoulder

Movistar have been diagnosed with whatever it is that makes you ride like morons
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Just on ITV4

His celebration was an impression of Forrest Gump

So there you go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited July 2012
    Just watched the crash again. You can clearly see Wiggins putting his chain back on before continuing, so can you run that by us one more time about how he didn't have to stop?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Just watched the crash again. You can clearly see Wiggins putting his chain back on before continuing, so can you run that buys one more time about how he didn't have to stop?

Pff. If you go near the CN forum nutters, (unfortunately, they appear to be mainly Cadel fans) they'll tell you
    that it was a lazy error, a la Andy Schleck and he should be penalized at least 10 minutes. :oops: :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • greasedscotsman
    Just on ITV4

His celebration was an impression of Forrest Gump

So there you go.

Didn't Robbie McEwen do something similar a few years back?
  • greasedscotsman
    bettiniphoto_0008768_1_full_600.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just caught up with today's coverage on ITV 4.

Hotly contested intermediate sprint. Do forumites think there is any merit in having 2 high scoring intermediates on a flat stage to spice it up or would that be over egging the pudding?

Morkov worked hard for his Polka dots, chapeau.

Great panache and bike handling from Chavenel

A quality win from the precocious talent that is Sagan

Wiggo continues to be a crash magnet and good to see Menchov hasn't given up on his love of the tarmac.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Just watched the crash again. You can clearly see Wiggins putting his chain back on before continuing, so can you run that buys one more time about how he didn't have to stop?

He should have got to the line with an uphill freewheel. Anything else is abusing the 3km rule surely you know that?
  • Pross wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

He should have got to the line with an uphill freewheel. Anything else is abusing the 3km rule surely you know that?

No no no. I'm pretty sure that unless you shoulder the bike, and walk to the line (a la Cav in a recent race which I can't put my finger on*) then it's a clear abuse of the rule. Don't want to lose time? Run, cyclocross style.

*edit, Giro Stage3, this year.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    knedlicky wrote:
    Just had another look at the stage plan and you're right. So now I'm confused as to when and when not the rule applies. Maybe the rule still applies for 4th cat finishes??

The rule applies to all stages other than those listed in the race book. Stage 7 is the first where it doesn't. It being a categorised climb or not makes no difference.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Someone did comment on it but no-one seems to have followed it up. Siutsou going out can't be good news for Sky. Pity really; useful rider to have on the team
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    iainf72 wrote:

Nice to read what he says about Basso and just goes to show how you can get the wrong impression of someone so easily. I'm now thinking he's just enjoying it and having fun 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Anyone who has followed Sagan's career over the last year or more will know what an unassuming and humble guy he is. He's just having a bit of fun Robbie - get over yerself!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    We'll see Cav vs Sagan all the way to Paris I'm sure, but EBH won't pick up anything at all on the flat stages. The big downside of Cav at Sky, is EBH not competing for green.[/quote]

EBH should be riding to protect Brad, end of.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Who cares about his celebration, and who cares if he makes it look easy? That maxim is outdated crap. It's like telling Messi to lose the ball every so often to not make it look like he's a class above. Racing should be racing, you win, and you do it to the best of your ability, if that makes people look average good! You clearly are the balls. Still want to see him go for a flat one and be against cav and Griepel
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    okgo wrote:
    Still want to see him go for a flat one and be against cav and Griepel

He did. Yesterday. He got dropped like 2nd period French.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    emadden wrote:

Don't think he came down, looked like he had to stop though.

From all the replays Ive seen, "wiggo" didnt "have to" stop... he was quite far back and well able to avoid the small pile-up, but it seemed like he acted opportunistically. In such case that, IMO is abusing the 3km rule.
    did you watch a differnt race? He was near the front up until 1km and he shipped his chain as he avoided the crash and had to get off to put it back on.
  • mm1 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    We'll see Cav vs Sagan all the way to Paris I'm sure, but EBH won't pick up anything at all on the flat stages. The big downside of Cav at Sky, is EBH not competing for green.

After Cav's solo performance on stage 3 and Siutsou going out today, I suspect he'll be asked to do exactly that from here on in.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    mm1 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    We'll see Cav vs Sagan all the way to Paris I'm sure, but EBH won't pick up anything at all on the flat stages. The big downside of Cav at Sky, is EBH not competing for green.[/quote]

After Cav's solo performance on stage 3 and Siutsou going out today, I suspect he'll be asked to do exactly that from here on in.

It's unfortunate but he doesn't have the gas on the flat against Cav et al and the hill speed needed for today type stages against Sagan. I feel for him a bit because last year it was Gilbert stealing stages like this.

Sagan is turning out to be the rider I and perhaps others thought EBH would be a couplke of years ago. I don't think he has had that much luck in his career. In the National Sports Centre in Douglas there is a photo of Johnny Bellis crossing the line for his bronze medal in the U23 Worlds a few years ago, I think Velits won but just behind a raised fist Johnny is EBH lying on the floor like a sleeping policeman a few yards from the line. I'm not sure if he was in contention to medal but it just sums him up as someone becoming a nearly man.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    That's a liiittle harsh on EBH I think. He has won an awful lot.

Apart from both being really good on a lot of terrain, I don't think they're that similar.

The two finishes so far have been absolutely bang on perfectly designed for Sagan. I've been very impressed that EBH has managed a 2nd and a 3rd on two stages that I don't think suit him all that well.

He's not at the Cav, Goss, Greipel level of consistency in bunch sprints, but he's fast enough to beat anyone on his day. In Tirreno, for example, he sprinted instead of Cav for one stage and won, beating Greipel, Goss, Farrar, Sagan among others. He was 2nd on the Champs Elysees last year too don't forget.

He is a much better time trialist than Sagan, and has shown much more ability in the high mountains. What Sagan has over him is uphill explosiveness, and an ability to recover quickly from efforts.

If we skip forward a few years I foresee EBH winning stages races, and very select group sprints (on mountain stages for instance), while Sagan will be winning classics, and stages everywhere he goes.

I'm looking forward to stage 8, to see if either of them are there at the finish
    http://www.steephill.tv/players/profile ... ile-08.jpg