Tdf Stage 3 *Spoiler*

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    hammerite wrote:
    Riders all over the shop there.

Was Wiggo caught in the crash = same time?
    Yes, time's no problem, but he's too boney to bounce.

Don't think he came down, looked like he had to stop though.

I think he fell against the barrier and then stumbled / stepped off his bike. Didn't hit the ground, though
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Cycling News saying "dozens of riders down"

I saw one bloke from Lotto and a bunch caught behind...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Islwyn wrote:
    Sagan's ego celebrations wind me up.

He's young and exuberant. You may have been like that once - cut him some slack ;)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Islwyn wrote:

Shock horror. Professional sportsman has fun.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Islwyn wrote:

I feel sorry for you...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    LangerDan wrote:
    Well, FF - whats the Sagan Wanker Index @ today? :wink:

Graph!
    Graph!
    Graph!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • disgruntledgoat
    afx237vi wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

I used to do that on my bike when I was 8. That makes it doubly brilliant.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    LeTour tweet (so fairly official) : No change to top 5
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    afx237vi wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

C'monnnnnn.... Don't give me that.

In other news, Omega Pharma seem to be enjoying their Trax turbos haha
  • dsoutar
    Sky tweet that it was Froome nearly A over T
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Photo finish:

FIN_HDR_IMG.jpg

:lol:
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Islwyn wrote:

certainly masks the effort as he comes over the line
  • dsoutar
    EBH White jersey now or will the crash giving everyone the same time nullify any advantage ?
  • The finale of that stage was excellent.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    TJVG listed in 16th at same time so will keep the white jersey.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    LangerDan wrote:
    I think he fell against the barrier and then stumbled / stepped off his bike. Didn't hit the ground, though
    William Fotheringham on Twitter is saying that was Froome, Wiggins was stopped in the middle of the road.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Wiggo losing time by the looks of things. A good sprint from Sagan to stretch the green jersey lead and I loved the celebration 8)

Replay shows he stopped because of the crash. Same time.

Was a long way back in the group though. I thought he'd learned that lesson last year.

He got stopped by the crash in the final km - ergo same time. Been in the cycling rules for years for exactly this reason. Stop worrying everyone! Inncocuous crash cased by two people trying to use the same bit of road. No point trying to stay literally in the top 5 for a sprint finish within the final km, he ll be fine...

Peter Sagan has been listening to Tweeter Sagan it seems! :lol:

I realise he wouldn't lose time that way, I was more concerned that Evans could have put some distance into him but I'm not quite sure where Evans was at the finish either.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Sky really don't seem anywhere near as strong when days are more classic like. More variables they can't control I guess. Sure they'll be glad when the first week is out of the way.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    are there any physiological markers for sagan e.g. particularly high vo2max or lactate threshold, that may indicate quite why he is so good? procycling mag earlier this year did a feature on him but it was a bit light on detail.
  • ddraver
    afx237vi wrote:
    Photo finish:

FIN_HDR_IMG.jpg

Love it!! :lol: We need more of this in cycling!
    - @ddraver
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    phreak wrote:
    Sky really don't seem anywhere near as strong when days are more classic like. More variables they can't control I guess. Sure they'll be glad when the first week is out of the way.

You say that but they have been on the podium every day so far...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Evans was 6th. Not sure what the concern is about how much he could have gapped Wiggins by. He was only going to pull out a few seconds at best. I would almost have thought this was expected. Wiggins would be happy with a few seconds in the prologue to have a bit of a buffer for these type of finishes which suit Evans.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Credit to EBH for getting 2nd, worked hard all day.

On the commentary Carlton mentioned he'd been tweeted how it was 'unfair' as Sagan got towed a fair amount throughout the day, that's BS as every rider gets their turn - just so happened Sagan's was televised a lot.
  • ddraver
    zammmmo wrote:
    are there any physiological markers for sagan e.g. particularly high vo2max or lactate threshold, that may indicate quite why he is so good? procycling mag earlier this year did a feature on him but it was a bit light on detail.

I think he's got whatever Gilbert had last year or what J-Rod had in the Giro...Plus these sorts of finishes are essentially the sort of attacks that win XC races (albeit only ion th elast few hundred metres) so he's been brought up making them.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Evans was 6th, I'd have liked to have seen Wiggins on his wheel on a finish like that rather than risking someone else sitting up and leaving a gap.

Tomorrow is likely to see a few falls and possibly splits due to the crosswinds although the weather report looks like fairly light southerly wind. Possible showers though. After today the favourites are going to be even more keen to stay near the front.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

From all the replays Ive seen, "wiggo" didnt "have to" stop... he was quite far back and well able to avoid the small pile-up, but it seemed like he acted opportunistically. In such case that, IMO is abusing the 3km rule.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:
    Evans was 6th, I'd have liked to have seen Wiggins on his wheel on a finish like that rather than risking someone else sitting up and leaving a gap.

Tomorrow is likely to see a few falls and possibly splits due to the crosswinds although the weather report looks like fairly light southerly wind. Possible showers though. After today the favourites are going to be even more keen to stay near the front.

And I'd prefer him to win every stage, but you know, reality sucks sometimes....
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Photo finish:

FIN_HDR_IMG.jpg

Love it!! :lol: We need more of this in cycling!

Shame the 2nd and 3rd riders weren't reversed or it would look like the evolution drawings!
  • disgruntledgoat
    emadden wrote:

From all the replays Ive seen, "wiggo" didnt "have to" stop... he was quite far back and well able to avoid the small pile-up, but it seemed like he acted opportunistically. In such case that, IMO is abusing the 3km rule.

If a crash goes down in front of you, you lose contact as a result and you know you aren't going to lose time, then why kill yourself not getting back on?

@gietvangent
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    These stages have been insane though for the number of riders wanting to be at the front. I know the first week is always jittery, but it's starting to take the p*ss now. In a post-race interview with Cav yesterday he said there were climbers and GC riders in the front at the sprint! People need to settle down IMHO. Too many stupid mistakes. Too many silly crashes.