USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Has Lance ever commented on Hincapie's role in the 60 minutes/Grand jury investigation?

Why would he if it has never been revealed what Hincapie said to the Grand Jury. FYI...Hincapie has flat out denied ever speaking to 60 minutes.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Confirmed : No Bruyneel at Tour
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cycling5280
    iainf72 wrote:

Personal decision, sponsor decision or Tour decision?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Has Lance ever commented on Hincapie's role in the 60 minutes/Grand jury investigation?

Why would he if it has never been revealed what Hincapie said to the Grand Jury. FYI...Hincapie has flat out denied ever speaking to 60 minutes.

I ask as his strategy for the past decade has been to attack, discredit, smear, bully, humilate and destroy anyone who has spoken out against him.

I wondered had he tried the same strategy against his faithful lieutenant (based on his location on Rick's chart).

Hincapie denied speaking to 60 minutes. However he didn't deny the contents of the report.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Personal decision, sponsor decision or Tour decision?

Probably the first 2

http://johanbruyneel.com/news_articles/ ... _2012.html
  • iainf72
    Some of the more reliable folks about this seem to indicate GH went willingly and offered information, rather than being compelled to do it.
  • cycling5280
    iainf72 wrote:
    Some of the more reliable folks about this seem to indicate GH went willingly and offered information, rather than being compelled to do it.

I'm curious who these more reliable folks are? It just doesn't make sense that GH would just go and testify against Lance because he has info. unless of course his testimony gives him some kind of protection.
  • iainf72
    Oh lordy. Kim Andersen taking JB's place? LOL

On the GH tip. Well, he went to a "clean" team with Cuddly Bob Stapleton, he saw what happened to his friends like Floyd and Tyler, and saw there could be a different way. If you look at it from a different perspective, perhaps he did something for himself rather than something against Lance.
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    skylla wrote:
    Glut4 wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    LOL BBC as a source of info. If that's your knowledge base yer a knob.

Can I suggest http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
    Peer reviewed, evidence based practice has always been my preferred source of info rather than PISH from the BBC

Interesting Full Merckx. Have you seen this peer-reviewed paper at all?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=15774697

Oops.

Not getting involved in your argument but have you seen these responses to the article you posted

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/4/1628.full.pdf+html

http://jap.physiology.org/content/105/3/1020.full

Uhhmm, that's my point.. never mind!

Yeah, I read them and also the Mayo clinic review of Lance. Despite all that's been written there doesn't seem to be any public evidence that would convict Larry. It certainly seems his coat's on a shoogly peg but there might be enough wiggle room for him to salvage his rep outside cycling, which may be all he needs/wants
  • iainf72
    lance has responded to USADA. Calls allegations "stale" which were disproved. Unhappy they won't tell him who he can bully and thinks they were coerced

Also quotes from the Floyd book as evidence USADA have a hard on from him.
  • iainf72
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Jeez, how come these letters keep getting leaked? Who benefits from that?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    skylla wrote:
    Jeez, how come these letters keep getting leaked? Who benefits from that?
    Lance, mainly.

Gives him a chance to work the crowd and soften up the witnesses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:

I started reading that, saw it was full of BS arguments and stopped. Still too early :(
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Fifteen days to come up with that? Really? What is he paying them for?

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    calvjones wrote:
    Fifteen days to come up with that? Really? What is he paying them for?

Gave the response to AP before he gave it to the USADA as well.

Complete PR exercise. Not doing anything to actually defend himself.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Brilliant, so after years of discrediting Landis, inferring he is a bitter, jilted ex team mate and compulsive liar they are now using extracts from his book as a case for the defence.

It's interesting that a couple of months ago Lance stated he had given up on fighting allegations against him and would not spend anymore time or money on defending his reputation. Assuming LA knew these latest USADA charges were on the horizon, I wonder if he thought they were going to present a stronger case against him than they have, and that's why there seems to have been a change of heart in his decision not to defend himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What do you expect? He's apparently got 10 eye witnesses all claiming he did it all.

As an aside, I thought everyone had worked out who the 10 are, and even if they haven't seems bizarre that an investigation would not give anonymity to key witnesses. What angle is Lance taking for making a song and dance about the witness identity?
  • iainf72
    Beatmaker wrote:
    It's interesting that a couple of months ago Lance stated he had given up on fighting allegations against him and would not spend anymore time or money on defending his reputation. Assuming LA knew these latest USADA charges were on the horizon, I wonder if he thought they were going to present a stronger case against him than they have, and that's why there seems to have been a change of heart in his decision not to defend himself.

Hmm. He's not really defending himself, is he? It looks like a PR exercise. It makes me laugh he's still moaning about not knowing who the witnesses are. Of course he knows who they are. But he's just trying to make it look all so unfair
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    who the witness' are isn't important. What they said IS.

The same with the evidence. This isn't a criminal court so who cares if it came from Grand Jury or USADA it's still the same evidence.

If LA liked the graph so much why was it taken down from livestrong. Didn't it also get altered after it first appeared.

Wonder if they will call Catlin as a witness.
  • iainf72
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... da-charges

Travis T comes across as a very competent guy.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    All sorted now then, they will NEVER win against Lance and his team
    iainf72 wrote:
  • iainf72
    Thinking about it - What's screwed Lance this time is going after 5 people, not just him. If he didn't defend himself and claimed it was all just USADA being unpleasant , but Bruyneel or the other did, everything comes out anyway.

And with the Ferrari stuff going on in Italy it makes for an unholy mess.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I get the feeling when we finally get to see what all the evidence the USADA have it will show how incompetent the UCI are
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    They keep banging on about the tested samples but the case is mainly non-analytical. Also, they're claiming that the review board will, just like LA's team, not see the information gathered by the usada - which is plainly not true. Also, the review board might be selected by usada BoD/CEO, but it's not the 'jury' as described elsewhere.

Indeed, I agree with iainf that the document really is for the public/fanbase, i.e. set the scene for when he will be ruled against and how unjust and unfair the usada is - damage limitation mode!

But whether that really indicates that he has giving up fighting as he said months ago? Sit down and not compete for the rest of his life when he gets banned for good? I'm guessing there's a whole lot more going on that we don't -yet- know about. I can't see him going down without guns blazing. This is going to take years.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:

He did say recently he wasn't going to defend himself. Is that just because he CBA, or is it because he knows he's bang to rights?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

He did say recently he wasn't going to defend himself. Is that just because he CBA, or is it because he knows he's bang to rights?

I think it's more complex than that. Maybe he CBA, but Bruyneel, Ferrari, Del Moral etc will not behave the same way, and if they decided to cut a deal it would be utterly disastrous for him. Also, if USADA get them, there will be expensive civil cases.

His ideal scenario would be to say "I'm not fighting this at all, I can't be bothered, do whatever you will" and the evidence never see's the light of day. But with 4 other players that just can't happen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I think it's more complex than that. Maybe he CBA, but Bruyneel, Ferrari, Del Moral etc will not behave the same way, and if they decided to cut a deal it would be utterly disastrous for him. Also, if USADA get them, there will be expensive civil cases.

His ideal scenario would be to say "I'm not fighting this at all, I can't be bothered, do whatever you will" and the evidence never see's the light of day. But with 4 other players that just can't happen.
    Armstrong has enough cash and enough to lose that he can get 5 people to tow his line.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Armstrong has enough cash and enough to lose that he can get 5 people to tow his line.

Tow it? Where to?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Tow it? Where to?

Rick. The phrase is 'toe the line'. Though, like many English idioms, the incorrect version makes more sense....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line?vm=r
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!