Nationals

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    iainf72 wrote:
    Do teams like the nationals these days? Or do they still find it annoying with riders wearing a different jersey for the whole year?
    Are there ranking points associated with the title? There used to be but not sure now...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:
    Do teams like the nationals these days? Or do they still find it annoying with riders wearing a different jersey for the whole year?

Dats wot I sed!

Didn't see that, sorry

I think if you're Sky and you have the Brit champ, it's good. Same if you're Q.S and you have the Belgie champ.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Yep. Good profile for the sponsor/team if it's where they're based. Apparently Liquigas didn't give Duggan a lot of support in the US champs.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    A year or so back Sean Kelly (whilst commentating on the TdF I think) was saying how much more important they are nowadays. I guess replica jerseys are a bigger seller today than during Kelly's heyday, and a national champs jersey gives sponsor one more product to sell to the public...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Yep. Good profile for the sponsor/team if it's where they're based. Apparently Liquigas didn't give Duggan a lot of support in the US champs.

I guess Cannondale will be happy to get some stars and stripes back on their kit ... Cipo was only pretending to be American ...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good day for QS.

Two national jerseys today.

Four. They won in Poland and Czech Republic too (Golas & Rabon)

I have some chap called Milan Kadlec winning the Czech title, but Brammieir makes four: Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland. Not a bad haul.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    7434894688_12bbb140a1.jpg
    Stannard approaching finish

7434898366_0657b3b2c2.jpg
    Stannard wins

7434902408_48664f1996.jpg
    Dowsett finishes

7434907412_4373071e02.jpg
    Russell Hampton (very gutsy ride from him, bridging across to break on lap one)

7434890788_b254baef50.jpg
    Chasing bunch on finishing laps

....I started, but didn't last very long....got the 'how to bail in a road-race' book out after first 19m lap.
    Same with the BMC rider (couldn't identify who) I spotted doing some cyclo-crossing across some fields to hide in the Sky bus.
    Tough course !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:

Movistar and Katusha always seem to make the national jerseys look as much like the regular jersey as possible. Very dull.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    le patron wrote:

....I started, but didn't last very long....got the 'how to bail in a road-race' book out after first 19m lap.
    Same with the BMC rider (couldn't identify who) I spotted doing some cyclo-crossing across some fields to hide in the Sky bus.
    Tough course !

steve cummings?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good job le patron for being there racing!

Some awful weather across Europe this weekend. The Dutch event must have been awful with 225km in heavy rain. Solid win for Terpstra with 40km solo. Only 20 or so finishers. Belgian had 75odd finishers so not very selective - had it not been for Boonen's instigation, it looks like it would have resulted in a bunch finish...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • le_patron
    No. Think the team decided to send a message.

Here's hoping that scenario doesn't happen again. Not sure if anyone came out looking good.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Really chuffed about that Boonen win actually - a day later.

There's always that tension with a northern classics rider when they come back from a good campaign - will they be as good as they were?

Also really chuffed for Terpstra.

Saw Vaughters saying that Gesink's performance was a sign that he was coming good, but I thought, considering the parcours, he looked not as good as you'd expect a Tour hopeful the Saturday before the Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, what's the deal with the Brit women? I'm guessing the woman who wasn't selected for the Olympics only went and became British champion, right?

I know very little, but I get the impression the Brit women road cyclists have a history of complicated internal politics?
  • le_patron
    Also, what's the deal with the Brit women? I'm guessing the woman who wasn't selected for the Olympics only went and became British champion, right?

Yes.
    Sorry, my comment above had no context. That's what I was referring to.
  • rick_chasey
    You were in the race le patron?

if so, you will indeed have patron status around here.
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently Boonen was keen on attacking a lot earlier than 36km...
  • I know very little, but I get the impression the Brit women road cyclists have a history of complicated internal politics?

From what I can gather the system has been "let Nicole Cooke pick her mates" until recently.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • le_patron

No, technically I was in the race, but never actually 'in the race' if you know what I mean. Anyone who finished that is on a different planet to me.
  • rick_chasey
    le patron wrote:

No, technically I was in the race, but never actually 'in the race' if you know what I mean. Anyone who finished that is on a different planet to me.

Pretty impressive that you were on the start line at all no?

I'm pleased when I do a 130km club run, let alone anything else.
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm. Tweeted Levefre, asking who was better, Terpstra or Boonen (;)) and got a nice balanced response.

Disappointed. I was kinda expecting him to give me an old skool chewing before abusing me and telling me to go out and do 8hrs on the bike to make up for my insolence.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I know very little, but I get the impression the Brit women road cyclists have a history of complicated internal politics?

From what I can gather the system has been "let Nicole Cooke pick her mates" until recently.

I didn't think she had any, that's been one of her biggest problems over the years.
  • Pross wrote:

I didn't think she had any, that's been one of her biggest problems over the years.

It was apparently the case after she won Beijing and the Worlds (then did nothing). There's a few good women from up here who were consequently overlooked despite having fantastic seasons, better than Nicole herself.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Good day for QS.

Just thinking about that. Do teams, and by teams I mean sponsors, really want their riders in national jerseys?

Seems to me that the Sky marketing dept would prefer Wiggins to be in the black and blue Sky jersey.

Kinda dilutes the brand image

I was wondering about that this morning. I guess there may be a small tactical advantage in having Wiggins in black/blue for the Tour, he won't stand out quite so much as he did in P-N and Romandie.

But the dilution of brand image is certainly something that cncerns marketing departments: I was a bit surprised to see this recently http://www.xcracer.com/Sally-Bigham-Wont-be-Defending-her-title-at-National-Marathon-Champs.html (different sport, similar concerns)
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    This Bouhanni not only won Halle-Ingooigem recently but beat Demare into 2nd also.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tom_boonen_juin_2012.jpg
    niki_terpstra_juin_2012.jpg
    giro_2012_9a.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    So 8 wins for OPQS. 4 TT, 4 RR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Who is the rider in the leekygas shorts but another type of jersey?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    rebs wrote:
    Who is the rider in the leekygas shorts but another type of jersey?
    Damiano Caruso. That photo is from the Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Generally - I believe that many national Olympic councils require the selections to be made by May at the latest.

The exact same situation has arisen in Ireland. Matt Brammeier won the men's title but isn't on the Olympic squad. Fact is, the nationals are on too late to be part of the selection criteria.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    There was furore that the new Brit champ wasn't picked before this weekend though?