Andy Schleck again

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    What, so no-one thinks Andy is faking it?

Disappointed.

His mother has given a note to the media that says Andy can't do PE. And I'm not going to doubt the word of Mrs Schleck.

I only hope JB cross-checks the handwriting with some of Frank's homework 8)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    his absence should make it more exciting - neither wiggins nor evans are pure climbers - I can see quite a few attacks trying to weaken both evans and wiggins in the mountains, either way it should be fun.

Who from? Denis Menchov?
    He was one of a very small handful of riders capable of lighting a fire under this race.
    Now, we have.............ummm..........Robert Gesink and those dastardly french.
    VDB, I agree is a strong podium candidate, but is usually pretty conservative at Le Tour.
    Sanchez had a bad Dauphine fall and is struggling for form; his goal being the Olympics.

Quality GC riders are looking thin on the ground. We could have an even more sterile race than the Giro.

Now all we need is an early crash to take out Wiggins or Evans.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We're all ruling out Nibs to do anything? Or am I missing something?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Nibali? meh.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Rumor has it Andy is instead going for 2nd place in the Vuelta. Whatever. He didn't have a chance in the Tour any ways. His form was pathetic before he crashed. Just funny how Radioshack announces him on the long list because apparently Andy is fine and healthy yet Chris Horner has a back injury....no no wait it's because he did not race the Dauphine or the Tour de Suisse. Yet Jens Voigt didn't race the Dauphine or the Tour de Suisse but he's on the long list?? Like I've always said they should just go for stage wins.
  • cycling5280
    Does anyone see anything other than a straight fight between Wiggins and Evans?

Wiggins used his Tour form to win the Dauphine. It's Evan's Tour again.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Does anyone see anything other than a straight fight between Wiggins and Evans?

Wiggins used his Tour form to win the Dauphine. It's Evan's Tour again.

no chance that the dauphine was them both at 90%, and they've still to get better? we will see.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    The odds on Sammy Sanchez are pretty decent: http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports ... nce/winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Nibali? meh.

hmm, I know I have an Italian Cyclist Black Spot, but I have to agree with LL on this.....

Hopefully he could be a good for a few descent fireworks though, down the Peyresourde could be good?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    So did anyone listen to the presser?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “Yesterday, when I came out of the MRI scan and they told me the news, my world fell apart," Schleck said. "I won't win the 2012 Tour de France, I won't even be in it.”

“between four and six weeks” for the fracture to heal, a solemn Schleck told reporters that he aimed to return to competitive action in time for the London 2012 Olympics on July 28.

“I hope to be back to ride the Olympics and then my main goal will be the Vuelta a España,” said Schleck. “I’m more motivated than ever before, as people – and journalists in particular – forget very fast.”

“As a pro, you have to deal with critics. If you can’t, you won’t survive in this business long,” he said. “I don’t care.”

“I don’t know if I would have stood in yellow in Paris but that was the goal,” he said. “But whether it’s Wiggins or my brother Fränk or anyone else who wins, I won’t stand there saying, ‘you’re lucky I wasn’t there.’”

“I’m out but I can’t drown in self-pity. I have to look forward,” he said.

“What doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger. I believe I’ll come back stronger. I believe I haven’t spoken my last word.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Did he then sing 'I Will Survive' by Gloria Gaynor?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited June 2012
    Hah! I was thinking that "Youre the best...Arou-ound! Nothings ever gonna keep you down!" from Karate Kid!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    dele
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sonny73
    “Yesterday, when I came out of the MRI scan and they told me the news, my world fell apart," Schleck said. "I won't win the 2012 Tour de France, I won't even be in it.”

“between four and six weeks” for the fracture to heal, a solemn Schleck told reporters that he aimed to return to competitive action in time for the London 2012 Olympics on July 28.

“I hope to be back to ride the Olympics and then my main goal will be the Vuelta a España,” said Schleck. “I’m more motivated than ever before, as people – and journalists in particular – forget very fast.”

“As a pro, you have to deal with critics. If you can’t, you won’t survive in this business long,” he said. “I don’t care.”

“I don’t know if I would have stood in yellow in Paris but that was the goal,” he said. “But whether it’s Wiggins or my brother Fränk or anyone else who wins, I won’t stand there saying, ‘you’re lucky I wasn’t there.’”

“What doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger. I believe I’ll come back stronger. I believe I haven’t spoken my last word.”
    Good he said this:
    “But whether it’s Wiggins or my brother Fränk or anyone else who wins, I won’t stand there saying, ‘you’re lucky I wasn’t there.''
  • sonny73
    ddraver wrote:
    Hah! I was thinking that "Youre the best...Arou-ound! Nothings ever gonna keep you down!" from Karate Kid!
    :lol:

Still, even though I'm no fan of his I wish him well and a speedy recovery. It's a real shame he won't be there.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Yeah shame he won't be there for Sky's dominance to be complete. Hope he is back in time for the Olympics and Vuelta.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The fact that he is no 'macho-man' isn't the point here.
    I respect his previous reaction to being given last years Jersey as he said he didn't want to win that way.
    I'm sure he would have loved to take the chance of winning it this year on the road.
    I also respect the way he has reacted to what must have been devastating injury news.
    I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery and a chance to let the pedals do the talking.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Ah well, he's already got one Tour de France win this year. Two would be greedy.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Hopefully we'll get a chance to see what Frank can really do in the mountains with no messing about looking over his shoulder to make sure he hasn't dropped Andy. With all that TTing he obviously won't win, but a stage win or two and a top 5 finish is certainly possible, he could certainly make it a more interesting race. I've felt for some time that Frank is wasted as a super-domestique for his brother.

Hopefully Nibali, Van Den Broeck, Gesink and Sanchez will make it interesting, they don't have a lot to lose so they might as well attack or we will probably see an Evans/Wiggins grind-fest.

I'm still looking forward to it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cycling5280
    Sonny73 wrote:

Good he said this:
    “But whether it’s Wiggins or my brother Fränk or anyone else who wins, I won’t stand there saying, ‘you’re lucky I wasn’t there.''

Good he said that? Why would he even think that and even say it? He's not the defending champion nor has he actually won on the road. It's not like he won LBL and the Dauphine and all of a sudden he can't race. The guy has more confidence talking when he can't back it up. funny.
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    In case you thought he was making it up there is a cast of the bone!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    In case you thought he was making it up ; )

Getty
    e91c0566463e6d37ace699c322f40a29-getty-511658068.jpg

Jaysus... how did they remove his pelvis? Yowch! I bet Horner is wishing he kept his toys in the pram now.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    So Andy's in Yellow after all!!
  • sonny73
    Sonny73 wrote:

Good he said this:

Good he said that? Why would he even think that and even say it? He's not the defending champion nor has he actually won on the road. It's not like he won LBL and the Dauphine and all of a sudden he can't race. The guy has more confidence talking when he can't back it up. funny.
    Ha, yeh I'm with you, I just meant at least he's made a right statement.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dang. This is going to be one dull Tour.

I am hoping for a doping scandal or 7. That will perk it up

That's the best prediction you've ever made on these boards. Took what 10 hours?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Good he said that? Why would he even think that and even say it? He's not the defending champion nor has he actually won on the road.
    Really?
    2008 - 12 place, white jersey
    2009 - 2nd place, white jersey
    2010 - Winner, white jersey
    2011 - 2nd place.

(Also 2nd in Giro in 2008). Yeah, I have no idea why he thinks that he would have been viewed a contender for the 2012 TdF...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dang. This is going to be one dull Tour.

I am hoping for a doping scandal or 7. That will perk it up

That's the best prediction you've ever made on these boards. Took what 10 hours?

:lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Getty
    e91c0566463e6d37ace699c322f40a29-getty-511658068.jpg

Andy's willy is grey with a red stripe?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    iainf72 wrote:
    As you all know, I think the Tour is a bunch of overrated bumwash, however, I do think it might not be a straight up 2 way battle.

And it might not be all down to TT'ing ability.
    I have to agree with you Iain (shock!) otherwise I am dreading it already with Harmon over Skying his commentary! I may have to turn the sound down and just watch the pictures.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman