Andy Schleck again

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Does anyone see anything other than a straight fight between Wiggins and Evans?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    rebs wrote:
    Martin could aim for a top 10 but that may still be slim.

Even Wiggins would burn him out in the mountains. And it's very doubtful Martin would put minutes into either Evens or Wiggins in the TT.

Martin has showed he can claim mountains in a breakaway. But riding them with GC in mind is a whole different game.

Dunno. Winner of Algarve, Paris-Nice and second in Romandie means he's not an absolute slouch and to paraphrase Frenchie, this year's mountain stages are lightweight.

He's also been hiding all year. I think his season has been entirely aimed at the Tour. Top 10 I reckon. Maybe top 5.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Timoid. wrote:
    I have a feeling Tony Martin will do something. He's done okay in high mountain stages before (Ventoux) and can beat anyone in a TT. He's also won some decent one week stage races (Algarve, Paris-Nice).

If he's ever going to throw his hat in the ring it's this year.

I'll happily call that and say he won't do anything special on GC.

By that I mean top 5.

Top 10?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I think Van den Broeck will be a factor. He's quietly had good form all season and looked very comfortable coming 5th at the Dauphine. I'm tipping him for the podium.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    RichN95 wrote:

I think Van den Broeck will be a factor. He's quietly had good form all season and looked very comfortable coming 5th at the Dauphine. I'm tipping him for the podium.

How well does he TT?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    As you all know, I think the Tour is a bunch of overrated bumwash, however, I do think it might not be a straight up 2 way battle.

And it might not be all down to TT'ing ability.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2012
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    How well does he TT?
    Reasonably good. 11th at the Dauphine.

I wouldn't discount Sanchez either. Others may mention Menchov, but I think he's past it.
  • GC may come down to 2 guys but the stages should be good as there are chances that a bunch of pure climbers go on the attack that will not be followed.

anyone think Dan martin could do anything?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    anyone think Dan martin could do anything?

Doesn't he have problems in the Summer due to allergies? I know he's shown improvement recently, so as long as the pollen stays down he might nab a stage win. Not sure if I see him as a serious GC prospect for the TdF, although I know he has podiumed this year.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What, so no-one thinks Andy is faking it?

Disappointed.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    We have the prospect of a very open race and it should be great.

We have dull tours with brilliant riders and exciting tours without an obvious "exciting" rider.

FFS you moaners, last years tour got exciting on some descents and it was a real treat. Enjoy the specatcle but don't pre judge it. There will be plenty of not quite A list riders animating the race because they fancy it.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    his absence should make it more exciting - neither wiggins nor evans are pure climbers - I can see quite a few attacks trying to weaken both evans and wiggins in the mountains, either way it should be fun.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah I'd agree. He was been lurking up there all season but not put his nose in front. He can TT ok. Rolland isnt a bad TT rider and yes Samu is ok and has the mentality to attack and break them in the mountains.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jelle's chance to get a podium?

About time Gesink did something too....

Though I've been saying all season that Rolland will be good.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    his absence should make it more exciting - neither wiggins nor evans are pure climbers - I can see quite a few attacks trying to weaken both evans and wiggins in the mountains, either way it should be fun.

Exactly.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    afx237vi wrote:

Disappointed.

Of course he isn't. His dadsays he is ill. And so does the doctors report altho' I noticed Kloden didn't tweet 'get well soon'
    M.Rushton
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    3 times changing your avatar M Rap?! Good good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Jaysus. If that ain't confirmation that this year's line-up is chronic, I don't know what is.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

Jaysus. If that ain't confirmation that this year's line-up is chronic, I don't know what is.

:lol:

Rich's right. VdB is a better shout.

Though lining up Gesink as a challenger is probably even more damning.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    I have a feeling Tony Martin will do something. He's done okay in high mountain stages before (Ventoux) and can beat anyone in a TT. He's also won some decent one week stage races (Algarve, Paris-Nice).

By that I mean top 5.

Top 10?

I'd take that - Martin won't finish top ten and I don't think he'll even try.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

By that I mean top 5.

Top 10?

I'd take that - Martin won't finish top ten and I don't think he'll even try.

I'll take it too. :).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    iainf72 wrote:
    So whoever wins the Tour this year will be the guy who won it when "Contador and Schleck weren't there"

This was my thought too, especially if it is a rider like Wiggins or Gesink who haven't won a previous GT and even more so if they then didn't win another.

Could be good for Frank but he is possibly a worse TTer than Andy - I hope he lights up some mountain stages at least. I guess it goes to show that Andy really does suck, pulling out of a race just because of a fracture vertabrae and / or pelvis just MTFU ;)
  • iainf72
    mrushton wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Disappointed.

Of course he isn't. His dadsays he is ill. And so does the doctors report altho' I noticed Kloden didn't tweet 'get well soon'

Klodi is moaning about Horner, not Andy
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:

Disappointed.

His mother has given a note to the media that says Andy can't do PE. And I'm not going to doubt the word of Mrs Schleck.
  • rick_chasey
    Pfft.

We should brace ourselves for an enormous influx of n00bs if Wiggins runs it close / wins.

A warning to all you regulars - play nice - and don't mention post counts...
  • iainf72
    Pfft.

We should brace ourselves for an enormous influx of n00bs if Wiggins runs it close / wins.

Can I have dibs on the "BradFan" account please?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    andyp wrote:
    De Gendt is not riding the Tour. He's getting married on June 30th.

He was.... :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Pfft.

I know we were all n00bs once. But this does actually worry me.
  • rick_chasey
    Pfft.

I know we were all n00bs once. But this does actually worry me.

Given what else is going on in your life, I wouldn't be worrying about this!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Go away from the internet for an hour and the world has changed.
    Now it is possible to crash out of the Tour before the Tour starts.

So, they guy who trains all year and only races the Tour misses his appointment.
    Still, he's always got le pub.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.