Andy Schleck again

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    iainf72 wrote:
    So whoever wins the Tour this year will be the guy who won it when "Contador and Schleck weren't there"

Schleck wasn't going to win... too much TT'ing

It would have been nice to see him attack the mountains though
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    So whoever wins the Tour this year will be the guy who won it when "Contador and Schleck weren't there"

Let's not forget that Contador isn't missing because he's injured. When Landis 'won' I can't remember people saying 'well Basso and Ullrich aren't here'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Trending on twitter...!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Let's not forget that Contador isn't missing because he's injured. When Landis 'won' I can't remember people saying 'well Basso and Ullrich aren't here'

That's because you have a bad memory
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That's because you have a bad memory

That's true
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    iainf72 wrote:

BUT last year's winner won it even though Wiggins and Van Den Broeck weren't there (due to there crashes). Schleck would NEVER have won it this year anyway, so I'm not sure what the point of that is - and Contador is a doper, so doesn't deserve to be there.

Whoever wins it this year will deserve it. END OF.
  • iainf72
    keef_zip wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

BUT last year's winner won it even though Wiggins and Van Den Broeck weren't there (due to there crashes). Schleck would NEVER have won it this year anyway, so I'm not sure what the point of that is - and Contador is a doper, so doesn't deserve to be there.

Of course that's true.

It's just if Contador was there he would've won :P
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dang. This is going to be one dull Tour.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:

It'll give people who were too young for the Indurain years a chance to see what they missed out on.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

It'll give people who were too young for the Indurain years a chance to see what they missed out on.

:|
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:

I am hoping for a doping scandal or 7. That will perk it up
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Yes, that is a possibility. :(
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    Schleck wasn't going to win... too much TT'ing
    It would have been nice to see him attack the mountains though
    I think the last time there was a huge amount of TT-ing in the Tour, Pantani won it!
    I know there were probably other influencing factors, but who knows.

I think Andy's absence might make things clearer cut in the team - not just brother Frank should be able to do well in the GC, but on his day Fuglsang can do well, with luck Montfort too, and if he takes the anti-aging pills and does good TTs, Klöden. With Andy there too, it was looking too many irons in the fire.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    I'm no fan of A Schleck, but its a pity that he won't be there to add spectacle to the tour. Surely a straight up fight between Evans and Wiggins now...
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    iainf72 wrote:
    keef_zip wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Of course that's true.

It's just if Contador was there he might have won if he'd transfused blood as per usual and get away with it AGAIN :P

I think you meant to say the above...
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    RNT press conference live-streaming at 16.00 CET here:
    http://tele.rtl.lu/waatleeft/livestream/
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    So now that the RNT long list is down to 13.......I'm sure Hoa-Noa must be jumping and clicking his heels? If his back holds out that is.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

FFS.
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Shhhhh! Don't mention the war!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Chris Horner (currently sat at home in California) can prob. recommend a good physio
    M.Rushton
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

It'll give people who were too young for '98 a chance to see what they missed out on

:roll:
  • Do we know for sure who Garmin are taking? Could Ryder take a double?

Could Andy's absence open the door for others such as Voeckler or Rolland? Granted they don't TT well but if they got 2/3 mins one day Sky and BMC could have a problem on their hands.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^De Ghent's ears must have pricked up a bit....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    S'gonna be an epic Vuelta. ;)....
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    S'gonna be an epic Vuelta. ;)....

Might be. Hope the TV coverage is up to scratch, which would be a first.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ddraver wrote:
    ^De Ghent's ears must have pricked up a bit....
    Good call. I like De Gendt too.

Opens it all up a bit I reckon.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    De Gendt is not riding the Tour. He's getting married on June 30th.
  • timoid.
    I have a feeling Tony Martin will do something. He's done okay in high mountain stages before (Ventoux) and can beat anyone in a TT. He's also won some decent one week stage races (Algarve, Paris-Nice).

If he's ever going to throw his hat in the ring it's this year.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:
    I have a feeling Tony Martin will do something. He's done okay in high mountain stages before (Ventoux) and can beat anyone in a TT. He's also won some decent one week stage races (Algarve, Paris-Nice).

If he's ever going to throw his hat in the ring it's this year.

I'll happily call that and say he won't do anything special on GC.

By that I mean top 5.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Martin could aim for a top 10 but that may still be slim.

Even Wiggins would burn him out in the mountains. And it's very doubtful Martin would put minutes into either Evens or Wiggins in the TT.

Martin has showed he can claim mountains in a breakaway. But riding them with GC in mind is a whole different game.