Andy Schleck again

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2012 in Pro race
This one deserves it's own thread

Being reported he broke vertebrae in his Dauphine crash, won't ride the Tour.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    edited June 2012
    Inrng reporting that A.Schlek out of the TdF due to injuries

http://t.co/dHAIJEmw

or

http://sport.rtl.lu/cyclissem/news/261857.html
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No way.
  • mrushton
    Cross post with me there
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    mrushton wrote:
    Cross post with me there

;) Merged.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    That's a shame, I know his form has been suspect but that is usually the case in June and he's the one climber in the race who could genuinely trouble the diesels like Evans and Wiggins.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, gutted.

Schleck giving in the beans in the mountains to make up for all that TTing was the only thing that I was excited about in the Tour.

No Boonen, no Andy Schleck?

Man. Terpstra better get going and Tankink better get his place!
  • mrushton
    Not really surprised are we? I suppose the sick-note means he gets paid or the insurance pays out. Bruyneel must be apoplectic but we may get chance to see if Frank can fly solo
    M.Rushton
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Admitedly I was well pee'd off with Schleck last year and his apparent pussy footing.. however if he's not at TdF then just perhaps it might spur Franck onto doing something. Here's hoping as I too would like to see someone push Evans and Wiggins in the mountains.
  • mrushton
    Apparently a press conference this pm.

Bruyneel said he is traveling to the Swiss tour tomorrow to meet with riders and staff to finalize the process of trimming the Tour roster down to nine riders.

“I cannot say now who is going to be picked,” Bruyneel concluded, saying, “there is not going to be any big surprises.”

I copied this from Cycling News. There is now, Johann.
    M.Rushton
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    That is very annoying.

However, Frank is riding. Frank is very good. He is showing form and more than Andy. He is angry right now and I'm sure he will hit the Tour with a vengeance. I would expect to see some firecrackers from him and a stage win or two.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Finished with broken vertebrae?

Tough.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    mrushton wrote:
    Not really surprised are we? I suppose the sick-note means he gets paid or the insurance pays out. Bruyneel must be apoplectic but we may get chance to see if Frank can fly solo

Perhaps a little unfair for Bruyneel to be apoplectic, it's not like Andy broke a vertebrae on purpose! Given the tour parcours and his recent form though, it is 'convenient'.
  • frenchfighter
    Now saying fractured pelvis.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Now saying fractured pelvis.

I have had this - from a bike fall.

If it's true, I can't believe he got back on the bike.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Boooooooo!

I'm naming this the Tour d'Ashes then

Copyright Asserted,D.Raver 2010
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    I have had this - from a bike fall.

If it's true, I can't believe he got back on the bike.

An old friend is a radiologist and she told me the pelvis is the most painful bone to break. Much kudos, and perhaps renewed respect, for Andy if that's what he's done. I know I was certainly one of a few people here who voiced disappointment with his performance.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    As much as I moan about Andy Schleck. This years tour will be a duller affair without him. Hope Frank can make up for it with some big attacks on the steep stuff!
  • frenchfighter
    Kloden on twitter just now:

If you want to race as a team.You have to stay together,race together... Not only one time (Race) in the Year.You have to work together.....
    If you want to ride a big Tour,you have to ride also some races with the team.Watch Team Sky ,BMC... 3 weeks racing is'nt a one week race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Vino was his pelvis
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    Kloden on twitter just now:

If you want to race as a team.You have to stay together,race together... Not only one time (Race) in the Year.You have to work together.....
    If you want to ride a big Tour,you have to ride also some races with the team.Watch Team Sky ,BMC... 3 weeks racing is'nt a one week race.

Open in-fighting in the team now? The future for RSNT doesn't look good to me...
  • frenchfighter
    Imagine if he rides the Vuelta. And actually cares. And actually trains. That would make it a greater race than it already is. Contador will ride all over him but it will still be interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So whoever wins the Tour this year will be the guy who won it when "Contador and Schleck weren't there"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mrushton
    Unusual for Kloden to say much. Not a happy bunch then?
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    So whoever wins the Tour this year will be the guy who won it when "Contador and Schleck weren't there"

They said the same of Jan Janssen when he won, but in Holland people still rave on and on and on about him.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I'm no fan of Schleck but yeh that's a shame, you want to see the top guns battling it. Regardless of the fact his form has been poor and the parcours really didn't suit him.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Well, that's the gamble when you pin your whole year on one race. Don't race for the majority of the year, but do your own individual training. It's no substitute for real race conditions, and it leaves you rusty and more prone to bad positioning in the peloton when you actually do race, and if you are an abysmal bike handler like andy is, more prone to accidents. And then suddenly your whole season is down the pan because your whole season was 3 weeks long.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yeh you can see that being said, but I really don't think Schelck would have been a real threat this year. So whoever wins chapaue.
  • frenchfighter
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Well, that's the gamble when you pin your whole year on one race. Don't race for the majority of the year, but do your own individual training. It's no substitute for real race conditions, and it leaves you rusty and more prone to bad positioning in the peloton when you actually do race, and if you are an abysmal bike handler like andy is, more prone to accidents. And then suddenly your whole season is down the pan because your whole season was 3 weeks long.

Check.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Very interesting. For Frank certainly. Always thought he had more fire in the belly than Andy and cannier... This could be his big chance. I know he's not much better in a TT than Andy but can certainly see him going on the attack in the mountains.

Bad luck for Andy. Vuelta will be good.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell