Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• theknowledge
    theknowledge Posts: 223
    Perfect! I get full PTP points and Twiggo is up there for the overall.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    inseine wrote:
    The French commentators clearly love Wiggins.

English speaking GC rider who speaks French to the French press and looks a little gimpy on the bike.

Why wouldn't the French like him?
  • What a close finish, good on Durbridge did a great job. Pressure lifted from GreenEdge, now to see how Gerrans gets on later in the week.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ridiculous helmet
    Getty
    9c1c025039e87b8a4c881a66a04ea014-getty-511395855.jpg
    e8a0c0d35185ec1bcd738d8becc689e7-getty-511395722.jpg
    f202d25e48cf18fd269b164fc645bf8e-getty-511393933.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Oh Devolder; fail.

On the eve of the Critérium du Dauphiné, Vacansoleil-DCM sporting director Hilaire Van Der Schueren has reiterated his stance that Stijn Devolder is running out of time to prove himself worthy of one of the team's berths at the Tour de France and stated that the seven-stage race that starts in Grenoble today represents his last chance to force his way into the team's plans.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... e-dauphine
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I thought Wiggins put himself in a fairly good position, 1 second behind... But our trusty cycling experts at the BBC are reporting he has been DEFEATED at the Dauphine.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Some of us remember the days when a Brit even getting a ride in a big event was a big deal, let alone bemoaning a second place. Especially when Wiggins has bigger fish to fry.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Er... Carlos Barredo and Amador in top 10!?! Talented riders, good form (esp. Amador from Giro), yadda yadda...

I try my best not to be cynical and not dwell on the negative but... I can't finish that sentence.

The ONLY possible rationale is that (as Durbridge graciously conceded) the advantage the early starters had with the wind was considerable. Isn't it?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    They had the weather advantage, but Barredo isn't bad at time trials. He's often there in the teens/twenties, and has had a few good top tens. Good enough to be top 5 when with the weather advantage.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I thought Wiggins put himself in a fairly good position, 1 second behind... But our trusty cycling experts at the BBC are reporting he has been DEFEATED at the Dauphine.

Hah - the BBC are either really clueless or believe Wiggins should win everything, inc prologues.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Who is the guy in the top picture Frenchie? Not seen him (or his rather shat TT lid) before...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Er... Carlos Barredo and Amador in top 10!?! Talented riders, good form (esp. Amador from Giro), yadda yadda...

I try my best not to be cynical and not dwell on the negative but... I can't finish that sentence.

The ONLY possible rationale is that (as Durbridge graciously conceded) the advantage the early starters had with the wind was considerable. Isn't it?

+1 amador stands out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Tom BB wrote:
    Who is the guy in the top picture Frenchie? Not seen him (or his rather shat TT lid) before...

That's Kevin Reza.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    What a close finish, good on Durbridge did a great job. Pressure lifted from GreenEdge, now to see how Gerrans gets on later in the week.
    It is interesting that Gerrans is never rated in the TT, has he improved or was it short enough that he could overcome his shortfalls in the event?

Good day for Australia in general (14 riders I think) , I think greenEDGE will still let Sky run the peloton, they wont need to defend Durbridge and Gerrans will just try to follow Wiggins until the last km of mountian top finishes.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I think the times would have been better later on if there were a lot of serious contender setting great times earlier. I think later in the day the goal was to get close or equal the morning, not to beat it
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    By that performance Andy can expect to loose 10 mins in all the Tours ITTs.
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2012
    Tom BB wrote:

Kevin Reza

edit: didnt see Turfle replied
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MSByrne
    MSByrne Posts: 52
    Are there any time bonuses today?
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Wiggins continues to look like he's in the form of his life. Hard not to pick him for this one.

My only regret is that he didn't 'see the light' sooner!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    tremayne wrote:
    Wiggins continues to look like he's in the form of his life. Hard not to pick him for this one.

Glad to see his legs have "seen the light", too: I reckon having brown legs - especially when you're in the shape he is - gives you an extra few percent. Which is good.
    Sadly, his bugger-chops will cost him a few percent. Which is bad.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Louison Bobet, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Louis Ocaña, Bernard Thévenet, Bernard Hinault, Miguel Indurain, Lance Armstrong & Bradley Wiggins.
    OK, so the last name's the product of Gypsy Rose Lee's crystal ball, but that's an exulted list of names he'll be joining!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    The first KOM result shows:
    1. Bernaudeau, 10 points
    2. Vanmarcke, 9
    3. Edet, 8
    4. Doi, 7
    5. Tjallingii, 6
    6. Irizar, 5

Gap to the bunch: 6.40
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    these guys have in excess of 10 minutes now... Sepp van M could be useful for a few points today :)
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    tremayne wrote:

Glad to see his legs have "seen the light", too: I reckon having brown legs - especially when you're in the shape he is - gives you an extra few percent. Which is good.
    Sadly, his bugger-chops will cost him a few percent. Which is bad.

You arent wrong about those legs! Made for some great pics on the sky website.
    What are bugger chops??!!
  • ilm_zero7
    Sanchez in a crash , and the gap over 12 minutes!
  • frenchfighter
    Fedrigo also in that crash.

Fedrigo has bridged back up (took 20km). Samu still not there. NEARLY 4MINS DOWN!!

Peloton increased speed and gap much smaller.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Samu has 2 back helping him chase.

Average speed of 37.2km/h after two hours
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ilm_zero7
    Its not looking good for Sanchez - he now has two team-mates with him but is visibly having a struggle at the back, and the peloton are pulling away, now 4:30 ahead
  • frenchfighter
    Damn. Samu really suffering here. May not even make the cut off at this rate. That would be a big shame.

Another 100 odd km to race. 4.15 gap.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Need a descent here...
    Contador is the Greatest