Cavendish fall from style

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Next time you are watching a race, see how many people not cleanly shaved you spot.

What difference does it make?

Oh it doesn't matter so much apart from the fact the better you look the faster you go (it's psychological). Also it makes better visual enjoyment for the fans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Next time you are watching a race, see how many people not cleanly shaved you spot.

Oh it doesn't matter so much apart from the fact the better you look the faster you go (it's psychological). Also it makes better visual enjoyment for the fans.

Clearly not, as Cavendish proves.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

What if they think they look better unshaven? Both the riders concerned and a percentage of fans (presumably). Do they go faster then? Maybe that explains why they don't do it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    koblet+real+2.jpg
    koblet+real.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

The rest of us don't care FF, although I might object if he started sporting a Laurent Brochard style mullet.
  • frenchfighter
    I would suggest some of you going out in black shoes and socks. Plain black and shiny shorts and a whack cycling jersey as well as an old fat plastic helmet and spectacles (and a bike to match; wont go into specifics).

Then go out with sweet white shoes and, matching and classy bib-shorts and jersey some quality shades and a lightweight white helmet (with bike to match).

See which kit you go faster in. It matters that there are people around. See how your cycling changes style.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I would suggest some of you going out in black shoes and socks. Plain black and shiny shorts and a whack cycling jersey as well as an old fat plastic helmet and spectacles (and a bike to match; wont go into specifics).

Then go out with sweet white shoes and, matching and classy bib-shorts and jersey some quality shades and a lightweight white helmet (with bike to match).

See which kit you go faster in. It matters that there are people around. See how your cycling changes style.

:lol:
  • disgruntledgoat

If you're going to try and go all street, i believe it is spelt "wack".

Also, what about people who genuinely don't mind what they ride or how they look? I wear my glasses for most cycling purely because I don't get on with contact lenses. My bike is my bike, I have to make do with what I can afford, as do most people.

I'm really puzzled, is all that gear you list actually going to make you faster regardless of your preferences and tastes?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey

Also, what about people who genuinely don't mind what they ride or how they look? I wear my glasses for most cycling purely because I don't get on with contact lenses. My bike is my bike, I have to make do with what I can afford, as do most people.

I'm really puzzled, is all that gear you list actually going to make you faster regardless of your preferences and tastes?

Maybe don't take it so seriously ;).
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That is fantastic nonsense. It's in everyone else's head not your own. There's been infinite numbers of research articles in all sports on shoe colour particularly and the only thing that regularly comes up is that black is regarded as slow LOOKING by the opposition, it has no effect on the athlete. A number of pro NBA and NFL players specifically wear black because studies have shown that their own game is not affected but the opposition regards them as slower and less mobile. So it's a classic double bluff.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Frenchie, my club kit is grey/black, if I wore a white helmet, white shoes and rode a white bike then i'd look like a black and white minstrel.

Rick, can we set up a seperate section where we can ask Frenchie about our kit choices before we go out for rides? Frenchie's Fashion Faux Pas Forum.

I often find that the opposite of what you say is true, when I go on our local race training rides you often find that the strongest guys are not the ones in head to toe matching kit.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • disgruntledgoat

Not being part of the London gang, I've never met FF, so can only go on the apparently earnest stuff he posts on here.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey

Not being part of the London gang, I've never met FF, so can only go on the apparently earnest stuff he posts on here.

You don't need to! All this fashion stuff's a bit of fun. He posted a picture of himself (tensed) in this year's full QS kit! Complete with white bike shoes!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited May 2012
    You don't need to! All this fashion stuff's a bit of fun. He posted a picture of himself (tensed) in this year's full QS kit! Complete with white bike shoes!

073.jpg

Shoes need a clean and a *FAIL* with the socks.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    You don't need to! All this fashion stuff's a bit of fun. He posted a picture of himself (tensed) in this year's full QS kit! Complete with dirty white bike shoes!

FTFY :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Dg, don't get too upset, it's all light-hearted and nothing personal. Obviously anyone can wear what they like and I would be the last to judge someone on my ride who was starting out or didn't have the money etc. I've been there.

Personally I think it will help you to perform, maybe just from a confidence perspective, maybe because you want to ride how you look. Not a huge amount.

Inky, yes somewhat true, but often the quality-amateurs will have more subtle class, so not garish, but good and coordinated kit and other things like the way their skewers are fastened and having few to no rings between headtube and bars etc.

Either way, all this from a pro-perspective is an issue when it comes to photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    boonen-cancellara.jpg

I do agree with you on Cavendish though.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Dg, don't get too upset, it's all light-hearted and nothing personal. Obviously anyone can wear what they like and I would be the last to judge someone on my ride who was starting out or didn't have the money etc. I've been there.

Personally I think it will help you to perform, maybe just from a confidence perspective, maybe because you want to ride how you look. Not a huge amount.

Inky, yes somewhat true, but often the quality-amateurs will have more subtle class, so not garish, but good and coordinated kit and other things like the way their skewers are fastened and having few to no rings between headtube and bars etc.

Either way, all this from a pro-perspective is an issue when it comes to photos.

I'm not getting upset... I think maybe my absence has dulled the memory of some of the good natured jousts we used to have.

And I need to see that picture.

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Rick, can we set up a seperate section where we can ask Frenchie about our kit choices before we go out for rides? Frenchie's Fashion Faux Pas Forum.

This would be too funny. A what not to wear Frenchie stylee.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

I think this is very true. If I go out in my Club kit, I always ride much harder than if I go out just wearing my Castelli, Rapha or Assos. I don't want people to look at me and think 'Look at that fat knacker - his Club must be sh*t'.

Also, I love the fact my kit coordinates. I have quite severe OCD, so that's a part of it, but I love getting dressed to go for a ride. For me, how I look is a massive part of the enjoyment - polished white Kask K10, polished white Oakley radars, white and red Sidi Ergo 2 Carbons all match my beautiful Cervelo. I love it :)
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Also, I love the fact my kit coordinates. I have quite severe OCD, so that's a part of it, but I love getting dressed to go for a ride. For me, how I look is a massive part of the enjoyment - polished white Kask K10, polished white Oakley radars, white and red Sidi Ergo 2 Carbons all match my beautiful Cervelo. I love it :)

So close, The Mad Rapper, then you blew it ;)
  • seven7faces
    seven7faces Posts: 360
    I only buy kit that matches. Bikes mostly white with bits of black and red, therefore all my kit is the same. Right down to bottle colour, computer colour, glasses, gloves. Very OCD but gets me out on the bike, because it makes me feel good.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

*shrugs* I quite like the "I'm French, I work for BNP/SG/Exane and I live in South Ken" look. Maybe it's my continental roots.

He does look like someone who'd get bullied for his style on a proper trading floor. (like the one I was on years ago, where a Spot trader built up a wall of files so he, as he told the guy sitting over from him "wouldn't have to look at his f'ing face" - Fun times)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2012
    My kit is all shite non-cycling stuff. I'm getting a hire bike so deffo won't co-ordinate.
    This is why I won't make it up the stelvio on Saturday!

Cyclists - more excuses than golfers!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    all I can say is, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is a bit OTT when it comes to matching kit and bike.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I am with Frenchie on this - Black socks are just well wrong. Even My G/F passed comment on how Good Ivan Basso looks on a bike (she's always fancied him) :D ...and then she says that Farenese Vini strip is hideous and they even wear black socks as well.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    smithy21 wrote:
    He's a dad now. Thats the way it goes I am afraid.

You beat me to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    the suits on the 1st page

the bottom 2 he is wearing a belt. Trs should hang from the shoulders not the waist.

That Farenese Vini strip is the bollocks.

As for bad suits can someone put up the pic of pip's wedding suit now that's a war crime
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118

I overtake people everyday dressed like they are in Le Tour - they are not, they are riding to work in the rain with a £500 outfit on getting overtaken by a man in a Northface jacket and Ireland rugby shorts going twice their speed on a £500 bike :D