Cavendish fall from style

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Looks like he has lost style with age. His shoes sense has gone backwards. He needs to shave more often. His glasses need to improve. For how much he wins I have remarkably few photos of him.

From
cavendish-romandie-1.jpg
316-PIC50709239_close_up.jpg

shoes_htc_cavendish_nike_600.jpeg

To
111417C000005cb97C29de_orh100000w575_tdf11st14-CAV.jpg
tour_etape5_cavendish.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Frenchie, this forum would be a poorer place without you. Love your photos - keep posting! :)

I know Cavs Nikes are custom made by 2 chaps, I don't think Nike make those shoes for general sale do they? Bit too plain for me any way...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    He needs to stop letting Peta choose his clothes for him - he's not enough of an essex wideboi to pull them off (thankfully!). He was on BBC wearing a polo shirt with all the buttons done up a few months back, I mean Come! On! like whats that about!

I could be really childish, cynical and shallow and point out that Peta is more famous for taking her clothes OFF rather than what she wears but I would nt do that. :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    A good addition to Grand Tours would be if, at the Team presentations, when they're all lined up, Frenchie could conduct an inspection like some sort of drill sergeant.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:
    A good addition to Grand Tours would be if, at the Team presentations, when they're all lined up, Frenchie could conduct an inspection like some sort of drill sergeant.

"You 'orrible little man! Call those shoes white?!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I would imagine that every day he wakes up and puts on that rainbow jersey, he'll be quite happy with how he looks.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I know Cavs Nikes are custom made by 2 chaps, I don't think Nike make those shoes for general sale do they? Bit too plain for me any way...

Think they used to. Aren't they based on these?

439387278_a60220b063.jpg
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    French women need to shave.
    FTFY
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,719
    We need more cycling fashion abominations* from the current peloton please.

*according to FrenchFighter
  • I would imagine that every day he wakes up and puts on that rainbow jersey, he'll be quite happy with how he looks.

Amen. :D
  • frenchfighter
    I would imagine that every day he wakes up and puts on that rainbow jersey, he'll be quite happy with how he looks.

Frankly that's irrelevant. Just becuase you are successful doesn't mean you have to lose style. Either way, the fans love a little bit of classy kit on the bike. As do sponsors - they are not going to pay an ugly and unstylish person to front their product/service.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    He does allright off the bike

Mark+Cavendish+SJA+2011+Sports+Awards+pGlIRBVdaEal.jpg
    Mark+Cavendish+Investiture+Ceremony+Buckingham+B0RdEW3Bs_vl.jpg

Sometimes
    Mark+Cavendish+Prime+Minister+David+Cameron+SBg9HLEoEgDl.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

Frankly that's irrelevant. Just becuase you are successful doesn't mean you have to lose style. Either way, the fans love a little bit of classy kit on the bike. As do sponsors - they are not going to pay an ugly and unstylish person to front their product/service.

Yes they are.

Witness most professional sportsman.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    He does allright off the bike

Mark+Cavendish+SJA+2011+Sports+Awards+pGlIRBVdaEal.jpg
    Mark+Cavendish+Investiture+Ceremony+Buckingham+B0RdEW3Bs_vl.jpg

Sometimes
    Mark+Cavendish+Prime+Minister+David+Cameron+SBg9HLEoEgDl.jpg

FF....

I'd have thought as a 'Frenchman' in the City you'd have a bit more taste in suits!
  • frenchfighter
    Which dont you like?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Which dont you like?

All, for different reasons.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    He's a dad now. Thats the way it goes I am afraid.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326

FF....

I'd have thought as a 'Frenchman' in the City you'd have a bit more taste in suits!

While I agree with you about that light grey suit (Chavtastic), since when have the French been the arbiters of a good suit?

No doubt, this is something else you'll prove me wrong on... :wink:
  • disgruntledgoat
    He must be one of the most sought after athletes in terms of endorsement and sponsorship, lets look at his current portfolio in addition to being used on "in action" shots for various kit manufacturers.

Free suits from Paul Smith
    Head and Shoulders
    Sky
    Oakley
    Nike

I think he's doing well enough to be comfortable in his own skin and dress/shave however he likes.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Coriander wrote:

FF....

While I agree with you about that light grey suit (Chavtastic), since when have the French been the arbiters of a good suit?

*shrugs* I quite like the "I'm French, I work for BNP/SG/Exane and I live in South Ken" look. Maybe it's my continental roots.
  • inkyfingers

I can assure you that a sponsor would rather have a world champion who wins lots of races than a style icon who hardly ever wins.

The rainbow jersey and Sky's fairly plain kit probably limit his options a bit in terms of accessories. He's gone for a plain look which highlights the jersey, not sure that bright shoes and glasses would look much better. Sponsors also have a habit of saving their more interesting kit for the TDF so maybe we'll see something new then.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Coriander wrote:

FF....

*shrugs* I quite like the "I'm French, I work for BNP/SG/Exane and I live in South Ken" look. Maybe it's my continental roots.

You'll be telling me you like the brown shoes with a dark suit look next... :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Coriander wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

FF....

You'll be telling me you like the brown shoes with a dark suit look next... :wink:

I do with suits from a not-too-deep-navy-blue to Petrol blue suit ;). Not that I'd get away with wearing that around here.
  • inkyfingers
    Coriander wrote:

FF....

Please don't mention SG...brings me out in a cold sweat. I made one of my biggest ever work cock ups on a job for them, whole lot had to go in the bin and I had to grovel massively to the arrogant french bird at their end.
  • frenchfighter
    Next time you are watching a race, see how many people not cleanly shaved you spot.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    To a degree he likely wears what he's paid to wear, unlike us amateur-connoisseur-punters. Another aspect are the freebies, e.g. car manufacturers offer celebs deals so they get a "free" top-of-range motor and only pay running costs, the idea being they are a shop window for star struck fanboys.
  • rick_chasey
    Next time you are watching a race, see how many people not cleanly shaved you spot.

Legs or face? And why?
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    There were some shots from TofC. Outside the Bvlgari building.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

What difference does it make?

@gietvangent
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Coriander wrote:

I see that every day at work. I quite like the blue suit and tan shoes look...
  • inkyfingers

Part of that is probably the bit of cycling folk lore than you shouldn't expend any energy that you don't have to, and also that shaving your face before a big race somehow robs you of a bit of "go".