Giro Stage 5 *spoiler*

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    545180_374122039291267_123161697720637_928223_1956952600_n.jpg
    He might have a sore arese, but it takes more than that to stop The Man!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pross wrote:
    A lot 'easier' than it first looked on the replay. Goss forced Cav into going early but never looked like getting around him.

I've never seen anyone 'go round' Cav. A bike length is too much. You need to be ahead of him before the sprint starts to have a shot.

Greipel in the TDF last year? Or did he go from the front?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Pross wrote:
    One thing I can never work out is why the sprint train doesn't place a rider behind the sprinter to protect his back wheel?

I've wondered the same many times. I would have thought it a good strategy.

Not kosha.

Some people do it, but you don't win many friends doing it.

There's a general agreement that sprinters will fight it out between them, and not have a load of no-hopers getting in the way.

Not necessarily thinking of blocking more to keep them from using him as a lead out man and also to protect them from someone taking out his rear wheel. A rider to the side to prevent getting boxed might also help.
  • Pross
    We need to get this thread to over 14 pages to disprove Iain's theory :lol:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Pross wrote:
    One thing I can never work out is why the sprint train doesn't place a rider behind the sprinter to protect his back wheel?

I think this is viewed as a sign of weakness. I remember it being proposed for Zabel in his Milram days and him saying that the day he needed such a blocker would be the day he gave up.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    So, is it worth wasting an hour to watch this snoozefest on Eurosport tonight or will the final 15 seconds of Youtube suffice?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross wrote:

I think this is viewed as a sign of weakness. I remember it being proposed for Zabel in his Milram days and him saying that the day he needed such a blocker would be the day he gave up.

Haha, nice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I do love how slow they can ride when they want to - in the 8km or so after Bauer and Farrah stopped chasing they managed to lose over 8 1/2 minutes!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If the 5second split stands and with Goss and Cavendish now in range of the lead do you think we'll see some more aggression tomorrow to try to get rid of them by the Garmin guys on some of the earlier hills?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    LangerDan wrote:
    So, is it worth wasting an hour to watch this snoozefest on Eurosport tonight or will the final 15 seconds of Youtube suffice?
    no watch - the crashes and other strong climbing sprint men getting drop when an injured cavendish stayed with it is well worth watching.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Well Cav tweeted earlier that Peta and his little one would be at the finish line to meet him, so I guess the cameraman really was getting in his way.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'd argue with it. It's his sprinting ability that's made him famous.

No-one rattled your cage :P
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    no watch - the crashes and other strong climbing sprint men getting drop when an injured cavendish stayed with it is well worth watching.

Thanks, but if thats all the second-best GT has to offer for today, I think I'll look for the 4 Days of Dunkirk or L'Essor Breton on the interweb. :wink:

(I was going to say I'd go out on my bike but I don't want to do anything rash!)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pross
    jibberjim wrote:
    I do love how slow they can ride when they want to - in the 8km or so after Bauer and Farrah stopped chasing they managed to lose over 8 1/2 minutes!

Yep, they looked like me when I blow on a club run and give up!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    A lot 'easier' than it first looked on the replay. Goss forced Cav into going early but never looked like getting around him.

I've never seen anyone 'go round' Cav. A bike length is too much. You need to be ahead of him before the sprint starts to have a shot.

Greipel in the TDF last year? Or did he go from the front?

I *think* Cav was on his wheel coming into the final straight.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Impressed that Mark was able to make it over those small climbs at the front of the bunch, when a lot of other sprinters were struggling. Hushovd's nightmare continues and Farrar is a pale shadow.
    I still thought Sky took it up a little early, but Geraint Thomas did fine work at the end of the train.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295

Nope, 'twas the other way round I believe.
  • rick_chasey
    Simmotino wrote:

Nope, 'twas the other way round I believe.

You are very correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fnM#t=259s
  • Simmotino

I vaguely remembered being sat there last year watching it and proclaiming "...well this one is in the bag.....",

....and then being made to look a twunt! :mrgreen:
  • rick_chasey
    I still think by and large it's true. Cav get's dropped off where he needs to be, so you're better off being the wheel ahead than behind...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Net App. Remember they are in this race. Got a pink highlight on their kit for this race.
    Where’s the pink of their kit? You can see in this video where they’ve put pink on their bikes (Simplon bikes - a great make) but I haven’t noticed it on their kit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tirtyrwSHX4
    Pross wrote:
    Ah, Hunter is still there to cause carnage in the sprint ;)
    I think he stayed up there hoping for the bonification more than the stage victory – he could have taken the Pink. But 4th got him nothing.

Of sprinters, Demare was 9th today after his 4th place the other day. He has regularly been World or European Champion in the U-19 and U-23 classes over the last few years, but he didn’t figure on RichN95’s chart. On the chart, I think he should be about where Guardini now is (and Guardini slip a little until/unless he manages to do something in the next couple of weeks).
    LangerDan wrote:
    The coastline scenery when they are travelling between Gabicce Mare and Pesaro is well worth watching.

I suppose to see the strange determination of Liquigas on the road along the same stretch, is worth a glance too, and if you're still hungry, Sky’s train might also worth a brief glance - although it still falls short of Cipo’s trains.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Too early to tell with Demare, same as any neo-pro. He'd be below Guardini though, who does have a lot of wins to his name.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Awwwww shucks... :)

1336668546893-89zi7rgsanxf-670-75.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Net App. Remember they are in this race. Got a pink highlight on their kit for this race.

Paid €400K to get in, allegedly.

I notice they're listed on the results screen now too, so I guess that's what the money is buying them (and a place in the race)

Proper stage tomorrow?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Proper stage tomorrow?

Breakaway of 6 guys all 5 minutes + down on GC, that may or may not be caught by a half hearted bunch?

(Forgive my cynicism, had a crap afternoon)
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    iainf72 wrote:

Proper stage tomorrow?

Certainly top end chipper, at least:
    tappa_06_S01.jpg
    Last Kms
    ukm_06.jpg

Interesting stuff in the Giro roadbook:
    First semi-mountain stage. The only level road segments are to be seen upon finish.
    The whole stage features a continuous uphill and downhill route in the middle of the Macerata’s and Fermano’s Apennines valleys, with short and sharp ascents followed by technical descents. The route presents 4 GPM (Cingoli -3a 746 m – km 95.4; Passo della Cappella 2ª m 772 – km 118; Montelupone 3ª m 251 – km 154.7; Montegranaro 3ª m 241 – km 176.5) one of which featuring 4 kilometers of dirt road (Passo della Cappella) with a gradient around 9% and peaks of 15%. The last kilometers run along the Porto Sant’Elpidio hinterland.
    After the crossing of Trodica di Morrovalle the race faces the Montegranaro wall featuring an up to 18% gradient on a narrowed roadway. Broad and fast descent up to Casette d’Ete before climbing the Santa Lucia ascent (gradient up to 15%) and re-enter the Adriatica State Road by a technical descent. One more easy to climb ascent up to Corva to re-enter a second time the State Road at 6 km. At 1,800 meters from the finish two more curves interrupted by an underpass lead to the 1,500 meters long and 7.5 meters wide asphalted home stretch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    b28b76c2cfb6ff5ac3cd8e50ddf1018b-getty-510821561.jpg
    86fc3d100a8170d398053c21c4729fa6-getty-510821290.jpg
    186599c0b765e40462365cbac08698c5-getty-510821695.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Aw, she's sooo sweet.
  • Simmotino
    knedlicky wrote:
    Where’s the pink of their kit?

The usually green elements have been replaced with pink ones, so a pink stripe down the jersey and around the bottom of the shorts.

Looks quite good...... for a girl! :lol:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Remember that Nico Roche quote about having Credit Lyonnais Lions as his stuffed toys?

That kid's got the cool version.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent