Tour de Romandie "Spoiler"

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    It looked to me as though Sky had made a complete mess of that. They had taken responsibility for chasing the day's break and caught it at about 30km to go (just as they were on a cat 2 climb). A load of attacks inevitably followed with an increase in the pressure at the front and Cavendish, Froome and Thomas promptly disappeared out the back.

Wiggins appeared to have a mechanical with about 20km to go and shortly after there didn't appear to be a single Sky rider left in the main peloton. I may be wrong but I think Wiggins only had Rogers to help him get back on so to go on and win the 'sprint' was doubly impressive.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Rough video without sound for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAheK3FkJ2I
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Wiggins appeared to have a mechanical with about 20km to go and shortly after there didn't appear to be a single Sky rider left in the main peloton. I may be wrong but I think Wiggins only had Rogers to help him get back on so to go on and win the 'sprint' was doubly impressive.

Didn't see this but I saw on feeds that Thomas was dropped towards the end of the climb, given he has been on the track most of the year probably not too shabby and rogers and porte were with wiggins.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Always a good sign for potential Tour contenders when they win stuff earlier in the season.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Rough video without sound for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAheK3FkJ2I

Thanks for that. He was really motoring - almost looked a bit embarrassed to win! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • rick_chasey
    pottssteve wrote:

Thanks for that. He was really motoring - almost looked a bit embarrassed to win! :)

He seemed properly pumped about 10 seconds after he crossed the finish line. Kept pumping his fist.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    Been avoiding the spoiler but went on Facebook and saw a photo of Wiggins apparently winning a bunch sprint. I assumed it was a photoshop job so had to come here to check it was real!! Is that the end of the final criticism i.e. that he hasn't won a proper road stage?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Been avoiding the spoiler but went on Facebook and saw a photo of Wiggins apparently winning a bunch sprint. I assumed it was a photoshop job so had to come here to check it was real!! Is that the end of the final criticism i.e. that he hasn't won a proper road stage?

We'll see.

The top 10 is hardly a who's who of fast finishers.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Brilliant! That will be a photo to save.

322-RTR317HC.jpg
    They need to ditch these helmets tho:
    110-RTR31771.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited April 2012
    Can someone explain how you get dropped on a climb like that? Terribly lightweight.

Froome. Came in last at 11mins down with a handful of others including Cav. Did he get dropped to stopped to help Cav......
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Can someone explain how you get dropped on a climb like that? Terribly lightweight.
    :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Froome. Came in last at 11mins down with a handful of others including Cav. Did he get dropped to stopped to help Cav......
    Not raced much, been ill:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... -infection
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    calvjones wrote:

Yeah but iain will hate him now of course.

I've always hated him.

But nice win. Before he became a GT guy I used to get all moody and ask why he didn't try clip off the front on a stage and use his pursuit speed.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    In the last km my missus says "Wiggins is going to win this"

My reply "no chance, he never wins these things" :oops:

What do I know?
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I may be wrong but I think Wiggins only had Rogers to help him get back on so to go on and win the 'sprint' was doubly impressive.

Sivtsou (or however you spell it) was with Rogers and Wiggins when they arrived back in the bunch and then went to the front with them before being dropped on that last little climb. Porte I never saw get dropped, or be anywhere in the last 20km. I see he came in just 11 seconds down - I'm wondering if that group rather than being split off the bunch actually were catching up.

Actually I see Porte was in the KOM points for the final climb so he must've been there chasing back that little break. Surprised he was the wrong side of a split in the group. Must've been a seriously tough stage despite the size of group at the finish.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Porte was there on the last climb pulling people back for Wiggins.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Great to see that, Not really explosive sprinting just slightly quicker than the rest bit wierd really.

Needs to practice the sprint finish celebrations though.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    322-RTR317HC.jpg

Bloody good win but he looks like he might be winning another gold medal at the end of August with that helmet ...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited April 2012
    With you on both counts FF in relation to the pics.
    That's a great pic of Wiggins winning.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think he needs lessons from Cav on his win celebrations. Looked like he was going to fall off when he threw his arms up in the air!

Is he wearing a gillet over his jersey in that shot, or is that a sleepless base layer that you can see under his jersey?
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Awesome finish by bradders! Sprint technique? Questionable! However, this man is on fire right now. If he can improve over the coming months? #justmaybe
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    Having now seen it it was an impressive effort from Wiggins, he went way too early but just had too much power for anyone to come past. OK it wasn't a bunch of sprinters but he beat some good riders. He also chased down every attempt to clip off the front in the last few kms. He went to celebrate properly but had to put his hands back down in a hurry as there was a speed hump just after the line!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Gulp.
    Wiggins in green at the Tour?
  • Well, didn't expect that! Nice one Wiggy! Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the Tour now! :D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Respect to Wiggins getting in amongst it. He's super motivated and seems to have the enthusiasm and confidence now to match the ability that he's always had.

Sky's stage results so far this year are certainly more impressive than their classics results.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    jibberjim wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I may be wrong but I think Wiggins only had Rogers to help him get back on so to go on and win the 'sprint' was doubly impressive.

Sivtsou (or however you spell it) was with Rogers and Wiggins when they arrived back in the bunch and then went to the front with them before being dropped on that last little climb. Porte I never saw get dropped, or be anywhere in the last 20km. I see he came in just 11 seconds down - I'm wondering if that group rather than being split off the bunch actually were catching up.

Actually I see Porte was in the KOM points for the final climb so he must've been there chasing back that little break. Surprised he was the wrong side of a split in the group. Must've been a seriously tough stage despite the size of group at the finish.

Thanks. I was suffering intermittent power cuts (and thus loss of internet) so was struggling to follow what was happening.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    So I woke up to the news that Wiggins had won a bunch sprint, assumed I must still be dreaming. WTF?

Although it wasn't exactly an explosive effort. :)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Cav time trialing and Wiggins sprinting???

What the hell is going on??
    Wrong on both points :D
    It was a prologue and Cav is well capable of doing a very fast 4km as he is also capable of doing worldclass pursuit time on the track, but its hardly a TT.
    Wiggo is a very fast and good lead out man and can do a very fast last couple of kmso with the type of ridersleft today whenhe was staying out of trouble and was behind LG due found himself in position to have a go and with 300m to go kicked hard and no one had speed to go round him, niot so much a sprint as a long dig :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    not so much a sprint as a long dig :D
    Wiggins wrote:
    "I want to win Romandie, that's for sure. I'll take what I can every day and it's really nice to win a sprint like this because normally I only ever really win time trials."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    So is there a time bonus? Thinking of my PTP... :-)
    Very strange win really. If it had been a sprinter winning that, without a leadout, hopping from wheel to wheel in the last kms, we'd be talking about how well he kept his postiton etc. Excellent work!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format