Tour de Romandie "Spoiler"

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Either a late start or slow race, or both. My feed says 51km to go!
  • rick_chasey
    Cav is on the front, doing some work ! :shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cav is on the front, doing some work ! :shock:

Trying to shift some weight maybe?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Either a late start or slow race, or both. My feed says 51km to go!
    Late start I think. Cav and Wiggins were still tweeting away at 11:30
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I like Emma Pooley speaking in French. Hmm, Emma...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPdXa9cn_g

Wow, lovely voice. Tks for posting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Breakaway group of five (Brammaier (Omega), Smukulis (Katusha), Howard (GreenEdge), Van der Sande (Lotto-Belisol) y Lund (Saxo Bank) being slowly reeled in 13km to finish; gap down to 1.52
  • hommelbier
    Garmin and Rabobank leading the chase
  • hommelbier
    Smukulis going solo has 17 secs on the other 4, peloton at just over 1 min. 5km to finish
  • hommelbier
    Wiggins looking comfortable behind Porte. 4km to finish
  • rick_chasey
    Can't see Sanchez anywhere.
  • rick_chasey
    LL Sanchez wins :)
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Woop. LL Sanchez. On a roll.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Wiggins useless - perfect lead out and he didn't even manage to start his sprint... Just sort of rolled over the line.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hommelbier
    LL Sanchez wins, Meersman second. Tiralongo 3rd, Talansky 4th and Mollema 5th
  • hommelbier
    Wiggins still in Yellow - but only 1 sec ahead of LL Sanchez
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    jibberjim wrote:
    Wiggins useless - perfect lead out and he didn't even manage to start his sprint... Just sort of rolled over the line.

Isn't that all he has to do? :?

Or does one flat win make him lead sprinter now?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    edited April 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

Isn't that all he has to do? :?

Or does one flat win make him lead sprinter now?

I thought that was what was decided :) Cavendish had to spend the day carrying water and pacing along on the flat which doesn't sound like a sprinter.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Give me a rampy, twisty Spanish or Italian climb with crap roads any day of the week. Curse those Swiss and their precision engineering!
  • Woop. LL Sanchez. On a roll.

Is this guy likely to be a serious tour contender? I read an article earlier in the year where he was talking himself up...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Is this guy likely to be a serious tour contender? I read an article earlier in the year where he was talking himself up...

Not a hope.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Not a hope.

Haha, fair enough!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Finished 10th* in TDF 2010 but no hope to get top 5. Good TTer and stage hunter but always loses big time somewhere in the 3 weeks. I'd rather see him stick with stage hunting than riding conservatively for a low GC.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Whatever about Wiggo's slender lead at the top of the GC, Cav has taken clear control of the laterne rouge classification with a solid, 4-minute lead over Geraint Thomas, with Danny Pate a further 2 minutes behind.

Is Cav's form really that poor?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    afx237vi wrote:

Not a hope.
    Was the article definitely him and not Samuel Sanchez?

Cyclingnews says Wiggins blew chasing down late attacks and couldn't respond to Sanchez. Is that right? Or did he just play safe and roll over the line waiting for the TT?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It looked to me like Wiggins was just up front to stay safe and when it got into the last 300 metres he just eased up knowing he wasn't going to lose any time (other than bonuses), he didn't look "cooked" but who knows. We'll soon find out.

LL Sanchez has a decent TT in him, but Wiggins would have to have a proper off day to lose to him in the TT. A few other decent TTers within 20 secs...Rogers, Zabriskie, Van Garderen, Kloden, Brajkovic, Evans at 21 secs...but don't think any of them would beat Wiggins on a normal day so they'll need to try and crack him tomorrow.

Today was a bit a a wet fish, tomorrow looks interesting, but with 24KM downhill/flat to the finish it will be hard to make anything stick. Anybody know what the descent is like?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Whatever about Wiggo's slender lead at the top of the GC, Cav has taken clear control of the laterne rouge classification with a solid, 4-minute lead over Geraint Thomas, with Danny Pate a further 2 minutes behind.

Ha, Team Sky are dominating the bottom of the GC. Half their team is in the bottom 6.

But the TT is just about a 10 miler - not sure how much time Wiggins will put into the others. Be an interesting benchmark though.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Hmm the TT and it's 1st Cat climb... is that a true 1st Cat climb or just a TT 1st Cat climb? S'pose it'll have the same effect?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    LangerDan wrote:

The man's just had a baby. He's just getting the miles in. It doesn't really matter if he comes in 10 or 15 minutes down. In the climbs he's always been one to do just enough.

He'll win three Giro stages - just you watch.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

The man's just had a baby. He's just getting the miles in. It doesn't really matter if he comes in 10 or 15 minutes down. In the climbs he's always been one to do just enough.

He'll win three Giro stages - just you watch.

By that logic, Jens Voigt shouldn't have been able to turn a pedal in anger since the late 1990's
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    cav not really racing . only there to get some quallity miles in his legs. im sure he`ll be flying by the time he gets to italy. and looking at the giro team they will be going all out for stage wins.