Etape Caledonia - how hilly?

Comments

• 4.26 for me yesterday in my first ever road bike event aged 48, way inside my target of 5hrs :D . Absolutely loved it in spite of the weather. Started in wave S so spent most of the ride passing slower riders. Next year I'd like to start further up and see what is possible riding in a faster group. I did the event on my cyclocross bike, albeit on road tyres - now I feel I have a good excuse to go and buy something expensive made out of carbon :D Great event with a really nice friendly vibe.

Incidentally, the course info on the event website claims there is 1949m of climbing. Wonder where that comes from? My Garmin 500 recorded about 1100m :?

Mark
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    And so we come full circle...
  • Spender
    Spender Posts: 87
    Does anyone know where to find the results spreadsheet from 2010, the last time I did it?

Thanks
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    edited May 2012
    I was 40 mins up on last year, whilst trying to do under 5.30. I have mixed feelings. When the wind wasn't blowing I was tearing along, but I missed the cut off point (the 3 mile loop). So didn't do the whole course again (or at least I think I did. My Garmin says I did the whole route but I don't think it's right) EDIT: I may have done the whole course, I went right this year and came back along the bridge, last year I went left and didn't hit any bridge. I had seen other cyclists join the route that I was headed this year so I'm not sure if they had done the loop or if I had. Had trouble with my saddle, my Garmin, and coming down Schiehallion in the face of the wind didn't make my time any better. Spent quite a bit of time chasing the Sweep Wagon (it passed me about the 20 mile mark, and then I managed to get in front of it and leave it behind for the last 20 miles or so. Our wave was due to leave at 7.02 but didn't until 11 minutes past so I'm guessing they were less totalitarian about picking people up.

Ultimately would have rather have done it like this than not at all. Gives me incentive to come back next year!

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Spender wrote:
    Does anyone know where to find the results spreadsheet from 2010, the last time I did it?

Thanks
    PM me I've got it
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Well done all. I didn't even go out training yesterday it was too wild.
    My mate was in it again this year and was 15th in about 3.40. About 10 mins down on our time from last year which gives you an idea wind factor. If he could climb a bit better he might have been first round :P
  • thecrofter
    Please refer to Rule 9 and probably Rule 5

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

:lol:
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    thecrofter wrote:
    Please refer to Rule 9 and probably Rule 5

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

:lol:

Yesterday was a planned recovery day anyway. Just got lucky and recovered on the couch rather than with an easy day on the bike. :D
    I've got the T shirt for #rule 9 from the last few winters!
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    Back home safe, as most people on here are well up the field here are my thoughts from the tail end. I'm not a good cyclist not even average but I really enjoy it so everything is relative. Started in wave T and within 4 miles got a puncture. Started to panic but got it changed ok. The wind was soul destroying, it's a long way with no company. Up the Loch was really hard and I know people said it wasn't hill but I found it hard going, coming back down the other side was a lot better with the wind assist, then another puncture and nearly time to give up. However having raised over £400 for charity no option but to continue. I didn't find Schiehallion too bad probably coming down the other side in the rain was worse. At the bottom where the bad bend is a couple of guys in front of me were waved straight on and I followed then they turned back saying we had been told the wrong way, when we got to the marshals they said going straight on was a short cut and would save about 8 miles. After telling him what we thought of that we continued up the valley into a severe headwind, really hard going but great coming back the other side. Only other problem was the sharp left turn up the hill at about 78 miles, sorry had to do the walk of shame. Really nice run in. Finishing time 6hrs 35 mins. I have the greatest respect for everyone who managed round and some of the times I can only dream about, and for everyone who took the short cut, wear your medals with pride.
  • thecrofter
    Robert72 wrote:
    Back home safe, as most people on here are well up the field here are my thoughts from the tail end. I'm not a good cyclist not even average but I really enjoy it so everything is relative. Started in wave T and within 4 miles got a puncture. Started to panic but got it changed ok. The wind was soul destroying, it's a long way with no company. Up the Loch was really hard and I know people said it wasn't hill but I found it hard going, coming back down the other side was a lot better with the wind assist, then another puncture and nearly time to give up. However having raised over £400 for charity no option but to continue. I didn't find Schiehallion too bad probably coming down the other side in the rain was worse. At the bottom where the bad bend is a couple of guys in front of me were waved straight on and I followed then they turned back saying we had been told the wrong way, when we got to the marshals they said going straight on was a short cut and would save about 8 miles. After telling him what we thought of that we continued up the valley into a severe headwind, really hard going but great coming back the other side. Only other problem was the sharp left turn up the hill at about 78 miles, sorry had to do the walk of shame. Really nice run in. Finishing time 6hrs 35 mins. I have the greatest respect for everyone who managed round and some of the times I can only dream about, and for everyone who took the short cut, wear your medals with pride.
    Good effort, I was conscious that however much I was finding it tough there would be those further down the field suffering more and for longer. The loop up through Fortingall is usually the hardest bit for me.
  • Muffintop
    Robert72 wrote:
    .... Up the Loch was really hard and I know people said it wasn't hill but I found it hard going, coming back down the other side was a lot better with the wind assist... I didn't find Schiehallion too bad probably coming down the other side in the rain was worse... Really nice run in. Finishing time 6hrs 35 mins...Only other problem was the sharp left turn up the hill at about 78 miles, sorry had to do the walk of shame.

This is exactly how I found it except I just about managed the sharp turn and then the hill, I always find these bit harder than Schiehallion itself.
    Robert72 wrote:
    ....At the bottom where the bad bend is a couple of guys in front of me were waved straight on and I followed then they turned back saying we had been told the wrong way, when we got to the marshals they said going straight on was a short cut and would save about 8 miles. After telling him what we thought of that we continued up the valley into a severe headwind, really hard going but great coming back the other side....

I think this is why I got to do the whole course, last year we were told to go straight (or left), this time I was signalled right. It was murder along that stretch though.

Sounds like I was just behind you for most of it. Did you notice a little chubby ninja on a Specialized Dolce (blue and white bike, black bike clothing and light blue and grey bike hat), possibly trying to hide behind you from the wind?

Mx

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Nice to read of other people's experiences of the 2012 version of this nice "easy" Sportive.

I've done it 5 times now and I just squeezed in under 5 hours (Crofter you beat me by nearly a minute!). Last year I got under 4 and a half as I have done all but once. I found the conditions more difficult than any other Sportive i've done here or in Europe. The lack of respite coming down the climbs where I had to keep pedalling (last year 40mph on Schiehallion descent - this year 22mph and pedalling hard); the wind threatening to buffet me off the bike; the rain bouncing off my eyeballs under my glasses when I thought it had dislodged a contact lens and my feet were freezing (believed the forecast that said rain from 2pm onwards).

Anyway I've registered for next year and i'll be back.

Robert72 - that sounds like a thankless effort but brilliantly done for sticking at it and raising the charity money.

and as for being an easy sportive - even if the weather is benign, just ride it faster; there's nothing easy about an 80 mile time trial....................
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    The total time was irrelevant for me as we were cycling in a social group with various abilities. I did however have a go at the sprint and KOM. I finished 219th in the sprint with 2.31 and 310th in the KOM with 8.26.
    The sprint comp was a joke trying to avoid other riders who were not bothered by having a go and were spread out across the road. There should have been more instruction about the sprint telling people to keep left if they didn't want to have a go.
    I was also a little peeved at the KOM. Last time I did it the finish was at the top so I started the climb with the intention of pacing myself accordingly. I could have done that a lot quicker if I knew.

Overall it was a great day though. Inclement weather doesn't bother me that much, it increases my satisfaction of completing the ride in adversity.

I also think that although the feed stops were stocked and manned superbly, they were crying out for some hot drinks and something savoury. I felt I'll after the ride with all the sweet stuff.

I will be back next year and will probably have a go at getting a fast time.
  • Gustibus
    Gustibus Posts: 12
    I'd done the Hibernia both times it's been on so I thought I'd try the Caledonia this year.

The Caledonia course is, I think, a bit easier but the weather obviously made it much tougher and it was a hard day. I went off at 7:23 :( so was hit by the rain almost right away, but tried to cheer up a bit by humming that old scottish summertime classic "I wish I'd worn my winter gloves", but the laughter stopped when a couple of fingers snapped off in the cold while changing gear.

Support on the way round was great (and a suprise given the weather), locals were all very friendly, cadets at the feed stops were super organised and very helpful.

I've seen people on this board (and other places) complain about the cost and wonder why anyone bothers with this event but after driving 7 hours to get there, riding in the rain for five hours and then driving 7 hours back, I'd do it again next year. It definately has something about it that makes it worthwhile.

edit* forgot to add - thanks to everyone who mentioned Logierait and the nasty turn, I was able to get up the climb no problems but by the sounds of pinging gear cables, crunching and swearing behind me it had caught quite a few out.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd forgotten that I was doing it for charity - I should have raised £1000 for Marie Curie all told. I did feel pretty emotional at the end though as I was primarily riding in memory of my mate Rick who finally succumbed to cancer a couple of months back. My son has been lucky (and us with him) - he's getting through. Marie Curie's all about those for whom the treatment hasn't worked - Rick, Doug and John who all passed far too young in the last year or so.

Going back to the ride for a second - looking at my heart rate which normally trails off as my muscles fatigue - I seem to have still had plenty in the tank as the HR is "flat".
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I have just had a proper look at last years time and did a proper calculation, I actually went 32 minutes quicker this year instead of the 30 minutes I posted earlier. Already registered for next year and will be going back to take at least 16 minutes of this years time to get me under 5h 30m!!
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    My first sportive, after never having done more than 20 miles before February this year......... 5 hr 20 mins, 20 past my personal target but the I'm sure the weather had a we bit to do with that. Highlights were the organisation and the atmosphere from the local support. I high fived all the folk on the left at feed station 3, it was brutal up there and they really lifted my spirits. The Fortingall slog was a real struggle but I don't think I was alone. And a big thanks for the logierait advice I was well chuffed at hangin right in my granny gear and leaving the carnage behind. Registered for next year and and a time to beat. With a whole year of training - 4 30 is my goal
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    Just seen my official photos, maybe not the finely tuned athlete. Better next year.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Gutted I couldnt make this year, but already preregistered interest for next.

Enjoying looking at my riding buddies times though... Our next group ride will be interesting on Sunday as certain people will try to redeem themselves after finishing 40 minutes down on others.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Got my accomodation booked for next year - wee B&B 2 mins from start line, lovely!
  • What a great event! Definitely worth the effort of getting there and back from Devon.

It was a superb course and much less hilly than the 2000m published on their website (my garmin showed 1068m); a perfect early season sportive. The support from the locals was outstanding, the cadets manning the feed stations were superb and the pipers along the route added to the carnival atmosphere. And the closed roads were blissful...

You know it's windy when you're pedalling hard to get down a 10% hill!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Robert72 wrote:
    Just seen my official photos, maybe not the finely tuned athlete. Better next year.

Likewise :D I look more like someone commuting in the dead of winter. Big lesson for me was to be more selective about what I wear, I ended up carrying most of it in my pockets by the time I finished. I was nice and dry but way too warm. My wife bought me a nice Castelli short sleeved cycling shirt for the event, it has yet to see the light of day unfortunately.
    48hrs after the event it is really sinking in what a great day it was. I really hope I 'm available for it next year, should be much better prepared. Maybe!!
    Totally agree with all the comments about the cadets - fantastic organisation.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    What a great event! Definitely worth the effort of getting there and back from Devon.

It was a superb course and much less hilly than the 2000m published on their website (my garmin showed 1068m); a perfect early season sportive. The support from the locals was outstanding, the cadets manning the feed stations were superb and the pipers along the route added to the carnival atmosphere. And the closed roads were blissful...

You know it's windy when you're pedalling hard to get down a 10% hill!

+1
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    Definately the worst conditions I have had the misfortune to ride a sportive in! I came in at 4.55 which was 15min slower than last year, and I was intent on doing sub 4.30!
    It dawned on me within an hour that the day was not going to be one for beating previous times, and for everyone on here who did manage to beat their pb's, in that weather, well done indeed!
    That was my third time and I think it will be my last for a while. It is a brilliant event, but for me it is time to try a new challenge, I have signed up for the Durham event in October, but the Fred Whitton beckons for this time next year, and those guys had the same weather as us, just with 30 degree climbs to contend with!
    The organisation was top notch as usual, cannot comment on the feed stations as I did not stop, however the complete lack of any kind of goody bag apart from a cheap bottle was a little disappointing. Last years bag of cack (flax seeds anyone?), was woeful, so I suppose they thought it would be better to dispense with one altogether. Fair enough if it means more money to the charity, but surely they could have got some of the sponsors to provide some freebies?
    Whatever, it is a great event, in an amazing location with a unique atmosphere, and I hope it continues to go from strength to strength.
  • meanredspider
    I thought the organisation was excellent. I just wish you could register on the morning of the event - I'd be prepared to pay a premium for that - instead I had to pay £100+ for accommodation half an hour away so that I could take the 30secs to register - I spent longer queueing for the toilets on the day. I've written and suggested that maybe they offer this limited facility on a first-come basis and maybe even charge for it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First go for me @ 5:07 - some of the time I'm chuffed about the result, others I wonder why I didn't push to break 5:00 ! But it was the longest I've ever cycled in one go in my life !

Anyway, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the organisation was superb and the cheers around the course lifted me many times over (homebakes offered, many encouraging shouts, pipers, children waving).

Fortingall was worse for me than Schiehallion. I really enjoyed the 40mph descent to the Fortingall side of Schiehallion descent (pretending to be Barry Sheene) and was also well prepared for the short, sharp climb at Logierait (but not the subsequent "Logierait Lumps" section into Pitlochry (as I called them)).

Thanks to the few guys I "chatted" to along the way. I did get a bit emotional on the last climb into Pitlochry - think I'd had enough by then.

I did it partly to prove to myself I wasn't a complete couch potato, partly for my cousin I lost to cancer 3 years ago and partly to bug my new cycling mates.

I have stupidly signed up already, despite saying I wouldn't go anywhere near Loch Rannoch again......

:D
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • I thought the organisation was excellent. I just wish you could register on the morning of the event - I'd be prepared to pay a premium for that - instead I had to pay £100+ for accommodation half an hour away so that I could take the 30secs to register - I spent longer queueing for the toilets on the day. I've written and suggested that maybe they offer this limited facility on a first-come basis and maybe even charge for it.

I agree. But I understand also that a closed road event is an inconvenience to the locals that they are (mostly) happy to tolerate because of the benefits to their community. I suspect support would dry up if people showed up on the morning, registered, rode and bu**ered off back home. I would imagine the average rider bring £100 into the local economy and there will be plenty who also bring a partner along who will also contribute.

I was enormously impressed with the area, the friendliness of the locals, the facilities on offer etc. As we drove around the day before we kept thinking "this would make a nice ride - I wish we had a bit more time", so next year I'm hoping to get there a few days before the event and ride a few more routes.

But you're right; it adds enormously to the expense of the event not to mention the extra day you need to find off work if you're coming up from south of the border. However it's a sell out event so why would they bother to change a formula which obviously works for them?
  • meanredspider
    Yes - I know it does increase income to the economy - though I think demand for accommodation, for instance, way outstrips supply. I live just too far away (1.5 hours) to make it worth driving down and back on Saturday to register. That's why I suggested making it a limited and "premium" (ie you pay for it) service. It would only be really attractive to people who lived within a certain radius - else it would mean getting up so ridiculously early it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Just an idea to reduce traffic and waste.
  • Muffintop
    I thought the organisation was excellent. I just wish you could register on the morning of the event - I'd be prepared to pay a premium for that - instead I had to pay £100+ for accommodation half an hour away so that I could take the 30secs to register - I spent longer queueing for the toilets on the day. I've written and suggested that maybe they offer this limited facility on a first-come basis and maybe even charge for it.

I agree. But I understand also that a closed road event is an inconvenience to the locals that they are (mostly) happy to tolerate because of the benefits to their community. I suspect support would dry up if people showed up on the morning, registered, rode and bu**ered off back home. I would imagine the average rider bring £100 into the local economy and there will be plenty who also bring a partner along who will also contribute.

I was enormously impressed with the area, the friendliness of the locals, the facilities on offer etc. As we drove around the day before we kept thinking "this would make a nice ride - I wish we had a bit more time", so next year I'm hoping to get there a few days before the event and ride a few more routes.

But you're right; it adds enormously to the expense of the event not to mention the extra day you need to find off work if you're coming up from south of the border. However it's a sell out event so why would they bother to change a formula which obviously works for them?

Our B&B ownder where we were staying said that it's 15,000 people decend for the weekend generating £2m for the local economy, excluding those who visit doing rekkies for the event and cyclists who re-visit after taking part. It's not to be sniffed at really, especially for a tiny town dependant on tourism as much as Pitlochry is. I've done the event twice now, been cycling there three times and would heartily recommend it even for just a weekend away.

Mx

• Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Last year I did a two day tour, taking in a big chunk of the course, staying overnight in a Youth Hostel and going out for a meal. So definitely more benefits that just the weekend itself. The campsite last year also insisted on a 3 night booking. All-in-all I probably spent £300 locally above the entry. This year was much cheaper, as I knew what I was doing, but it's still not to be sniffed at. Having said that I didn't begrudge any of it!