Etape Caledonia - how hilly?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    thecrofter wrote:
    Wave G - 6.42

+1

(I'll be the guy on the Volagi - I can be reasonably confident that, of the 5000 bikes, mine will be the only one 8) )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    long way back for me, wave T 7.08 am
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    thecrofter wrote:
    Wave G - 6.42

+1

(I'll be the guy on the Volagi - I can be reasonably confident that, of the 5000 bikes, mine will be the only one 8) )

Now that gives me an excuse for when i get spat out the back of wave A...its not that i cant handle the pace i just wanted to drop back a bit and see a Volagi :D
  • moto1
    moto1 Posts: 3
    I've been working on this event for the last three years as a motorcycle marshal. I'm also keen club roadie.
    We always seem to get nasty crashes coming off Schiehallion. This is a very long FAST decent so please take care and give other riders room. There are many inexperienced riders on this event- so give yourself swerve space!
    In answer to the OP, its a cracking route that's pretty flat apart from Schiehallion.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Wave R 7:04 for me, so this thread is as close as I will get to most of you!! lol
  • meanredspider
    Now that gives me an excuse for when i get spat out the back of wave A...its not that i cant handle the pace i just wanted to drop back a bit and see a Volagi :D

You're not going to see it any other way :wink:

I suppose I should really wear my Volagi jersey since I don't think I'll have got TCT shirts organised in time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    thecrofter wrote:
    Wave G - 6.42

+1

You certainly have a penchant for the unusual Alfa Spider's and Volagi :) , I'll keep a look out for you at the start, I'm on a pretty standard Giant Defy yello/black/white, white hat, Scotland cycling top.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter wrote:
    Wave G - 6.42

+1

+1 on a Focus Cayo...

Struggling to motivate myself to make the final push in this weather :(
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    bompington wrote:
    Omar - I'm in D, so 6 minutes behind you. I'm not expecting to catch up much :oops: , I only put in for a 4 hour time to try and motivate myself to train. Almost worked...

I am also in wave D.

Last years target was 4 hours 30 min and to my surprise I achieved 4 hours 4 min so I have been putting in a lot of extra training lately, but unfortunately most of it is no further than the turbo in the garage.

I am due to do a 200 mile audax the weekend before this event.
  • pots
    pots Posts: 109
    This will be my first time for this event.We are coming up from warwickshire on the thursday before & staying over on the west coast until the following sunday to make a holiday of it.
    My son & his wife flys in to edingburgh sat morning to take part,home sunday eve,then family flying in to glasgow monday to stay with us for the rest of the week.
    now there is a threat of a fuel strike on the 18th .GREAT !
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Were in wave C – went for a sub 4 hr for motivation too. I got knocked down on the 3rd May last year so didn’t get to ride and wanted to come back with a vengeance this year. Not sure if I’ll do it under 4 but deffo want to do it under 4 and a half - and I want to get a good time up Shiehallion!

I’ll be on a red/black/white Wilier Cento Uno and my mate’s on a black Super Six.

Can’t wait!
  • meanredspider
    thecrofter wrote:
    You certainly have a penchant for the unusual Alfa Spider's and Volagi :) , I'll keep a look out for you at the start, I'm on a pretty standard Giant Defy yello/black/white, white hat, Scotland cycling top.

There's no excuse for the mundane :wink: - I'll keep an eye out for you.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Did a 150mile ride today which took in a lot of the etape route and hope you get the weather like it was today. Bit a head wind but not a cloud in sight . Around the Rannoch the cyclist outnumbered the cars 20 to 1. It was like riding a sportive there today.

Got harassed by a 70 year old driver on the climb of Schiehallion today who tailed me for five minutes before pulling up beside me to shout obscenities and said that all cyclists should bugger off and that one day of cycling was all we should be allowed on these roads. If he had been 20 years younger he would have got a different response but I just ignored him and stopped and let him continue on his way.

Apart from that days on the bike dont come much better! I saw the signs up warning of roads closures in two weeks. Cant ask for much more than that.
    Brian B.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Brian B wrote:
    Got harassed by a 70 year old driver on the climb of Schiehallion today
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Peter Hounam (born 1944)
    Surely it couldn't be??
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bompington wrote:
    Time for the Bompinvite: still a (now small) number of places on saturday night for forumites at the cottage in Pitlochry if you're willing to sleep on the floor or put up with Crofter's snoring. PM me if you're interested, first come first served!

Omar - I'm in D, so 6 minutes behind you. I'm not expecting to catch up much :oops: , I only put in for a 4 hour time to try and motivate myself to train. Almost worked...

Bompington, any room for the Van in your drive again? Just me this year, Jamie left it late and didn't get a place. Think I will be rather slower this year, but its a great atmosphere, and I will enjoy just plodding along! Cheers.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    I did the route last Thursday, and had a headwind in every direction, and at every turn. :( Just one of those days when the wind changed every 10 minutes.......From Pitlochry to KR, I think I was passed by all of 6 vehicles, 2 of which were roads maintenance lorries. After Tummel Bridge, the surface is a bit patchy, but the guys were out in numbers and one I spoke to at the temp traffic lights said it would be all done and dusted for the big day... On the descent from Schiehallion to Coshieville, there is a fair bit of construction traffic, and the roads had a lot of mud on them...

As for 'how hilly', biggest problem I had last year and 2010, was the first 6 miles from Pitlochry to Queen's View, which is up-and-down, and crowded with folk jockeying to get past...I think a lot of people, me included, take a few miles to get used to the fact that it's a closed-roads event, and it's ok to be on the 'wrong' side... :)

I'm maybe biased, as I live relatively close, and I ride the roads regularly, but I think it's a great day, and you always get some good craic before, during, and after.....

Hope everyone has a good day....look out for that sharp left at Logierait.... :D
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I'm doing this too and feeling pressure and trying not panick train this last week. The first 20 miles are rolling hills which can sap you and towards the end there's a couple of short sharp shocks which were tough but in comparison to the other two shorter sportives I've done (Ullapool Beag and SBS Challenge) it's not too bad, but then that's always the way.

I haven't had time to go out on the course this year - fear that might be a mistake - but I didn't go out on the Ullapool or the SBS before hand and that managed to keep things interesting!

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Stedman
    Angus444 wrote:
    Hope everyone has a good day....look out for that sharp left at Logierait.... :D

The left-hand Logierait turn can be spotted by the large crowd who are waiting for us to fall off our bikes. They can be seen standing in front of the cream coloured Logierait Inn in the back ground.

My advice (if you wish to take it)is to go over to the right hand side of the A827, select your granny gear and take a broad left hand turn so that you immediately ride this hill straight on where you will soon discover that this gear too light as you ride the worse of this ramp. It is also worth shouting the granny gear warning before the turn so you don’t trip over others who could stop or fall off!

I shall also be doing a quick sortie the day before the event on this hill. :oops:
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Have to say I managed this little bugger of a hill without much trouble, apart from someone trying to dismount halfway up in the middle of the (very narrow) road in front of me. The reason I was prepared for it was due to all the kind folks on here, this forum really did help me last year and I again thank all those who chipped in with advice. :-)
  • Stedman
    d4evr wrote:
    Have to say I managed this little bugger of a hill without much trouble, apart from someone trying to dismount halfway up in the middle of the (very narrow) road in front of me. The reason I was prepared for it was due to all the kind folks on here, this forum really did help me last year and I again thank all those who chipped in with advice. :-)

This hill is not a problem if you are aware of it. It is those who are drafting along at 25+ mph and suddenly they are trying to turn sharply up a narrow 18 degree slope with a 52 x 12 gear combination. It just does not work!

I remember two years ago someone complaining bitterly on this forum about having their timing chip knocked off on this corner.
  • thecrofter
    Stedman wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

This hill is not a problem if you are aware of it. It is those who are drafting along at 25+ mph and suddenly they are trying to turn sharply up a narrow 18 degree slope with a 52 x 12 gear combination. It just does not work!

I remember two years ago someone complaining bitterly on this forum about having their timing chip knocked off on this corner.
    Remember your Boy Scout motto - Be prepared! :D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Did the full route today in 21C temp (said the Garmin) with zero cloud until the last 15 miles - amazing weather! As mentioned previously it's very rolling, Schiehallion isn't a destroyer but I can see how Logierait causes carnage. I did the route with two mates who've done it before so I knew exactly when it was coming; shifted into the middle of the cassette, dropped down to the wee ring, moved over to the right hand side of the road and went shooting up the hill :-) But bloody helll that's a narrow road :shock: If you're in a group get to the front before the climb!

I'll probably jinx it by saying this but if the weather is anything like today it will be amazing. The climb up to Queen's View with the sun coming through the trees was epic!
  • Muffintop
    Is the route already routed somewhere on google or GPS? If not I might do that this week on the Garmin. Get it to bleep before these problematic hills would be such a big help. Last year we didn't get off to push once and managed to get in the right gear for all the hills at the end.

mx

• thecrofter
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/16887347

It's not a difficult route to follow, just follow all the other bikes, unless your planning on being first :wink:
  • Muffintop
    thecrofter wrote:

It's not a difficult route to follow, just follow all the other bikes, unless your planning on being first :wink:

lol! :oops:

I am actually just thinking in terms of prompts for turns and gears for hills and stuff. I'm doing it myself this year so having little notes before the bends/hills will be handy.

And... er... I forget which floor in my office I'm going to if I take the stairs, so, yeh, something that tells me to 'please make a U turn when safe to do so' will be handy as well.

Mx

• bompington
    Muffintop wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

lol! :oops:

I am actually just thinking in terms of prompts for turns and gears for hills and stuff. I'm doing it myself this year so having little notes before the bends/hills will be handy.

And... er... I forget which floor in my office I'm going to if I take the stairs, so, yeh, something that tells me to 'please make a U turn when safe to do so' will be handy as well.

Mx
    Not totally sure that making a U-turn will be safe at any point... but not only are there quite a lot of bikes to follow,, the route is marshalled and coned to the point that even field gateways are coned off. Turns are all very obvious, manned, and coned off so you can't go the wrong way:

As for needing gear advice, I'd go with "one cog higher than whatever feels easy at any given point". You won't need anything to tell you when to get in the granny gear, it'll be obvious enough ;-)
  • Muffintop
    bompington wrote:
    Not totally sure that making a U-turn will be safe at any point... but not only are there quite a lot of bikes to follow,, the route is marshalled and coned to the point that even field gateways are coned off. Turns are all very obvious, manned, and coned off so you can't go the wrong way:

As for needing gear advice, I'd go with "one cog higher than whatever feels easy at any given point". You won't need anything to tell you when to get in the granny gear, it'll be obvious enough ;-)

I have done the event before, however I don't particuarly to leave anything to chance, and that includes being aware of needing to change cog when a hills due. I've no intention of hitting a hill not getting up it and instead doing the slow fall because (if Garry Garmin's working) I'll get a bleep telling me to be on my gears as I'm about to hit a hill.

And incidentally, if I've gone the wrong way, a U turn should be very safe.

Mx

• Stedman
    Muffintop wrote:

Muffintop,

I am not sure if you are using a double or triple, however three years ago I had a triple and I never used the inside ring. This year I am not even planning to go any lighter than 38 front and 21 rear or 53 inches.

From my experience Queens View tends to be lumpy; however the hills are short enough to run at them and as necessary when you lose momentum you will only need to drop a ring on the front.

From my memory there are a few other minor bumps on the north side of the lakes, (sorry lochs). The rest of Loch Rannoch is flat however as you leave this lock there is a gentle long climb up Schiehallion and it is only 2/3rds of the way when the road bends to the left that the road starts ramp up and arguably because of the shape of the road it looks steeper than it actually is. The top of gently undulates.

After you’re fast decent from Schiehallion the road is flattish until the sharp (steep) left hand turn at Logierait. Have a look at this on Google Street View!

The rest of Logierait is a moderate lumpy climb which does tell you how tired your legs are at this stage and then there is a slight uphill sprint to the finish.

In short, don’t overestimate Schiehallion and don’t underestimate the left hand turn at Logierait!
  • Muffintop
    Stedman wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:

Muffintop,

I am not sure if you are using a double or triple, however three years ago I had a triple and I never used the inside ring. This year I am not even planning to go any lighter than 38 front and 21 rear or 53 inches.

From my experience Queens View tends to be lumpy; however the hills are short enough to run at them and as necessary when you lose momentum you will only need to drop a ring on the front.

From my memory there are a few other minor bumps on the north side of the lakes, (sorry lochs). The rest of Loch Rannoch is flat however as you leave this lock there is a gentle long climb up Schiehallion and it is only 2/3rds of the way when the road bends to the left that the road starts ramp up and arguably because of the shape of the road it looks steeper than it actually is. The top of gently undulates.

After you’re fast decent from Schiehallion the road is flattish until the sharp (steep) left hand turn at Logierait. Have a look at this on Google Street View!

The rest of Logierait is a moderate lumpy climb which does tell you how tired your legs are at this stage and then there is a slight uphill sprint to the finish.

In short, don’t overestimate Schiehallion and don’t underestimate the left hand turn at Logierait!

Yeh, I'll need my triple. I remember Schiehallion not being that bad either, but I just don't want to be caught out on a stretch I don't remember, take it wrong and then have to come off the bike. I do that and then it's like every five minutes, I could get off here too, and here, and here.

Mx

• bompington
    Hope you're all ready to wrap up warm, weather forecast looks like there might be a bit of OK weather on the day but there might not, and it will be cold.
    Snowing down to 3-400m in Glenshee today :shock:

NB - a bit OT, but I headed up Glenshee today for my last training run. Here we have a sunny (until I got up to the top of the glen in the late afternoon anyway) bank holiday saturday, stunning scenery, and a great challenge with the UK's highest public road. How many other cyclists do you think I saw all day? Answer: a grand total of ... one. Probably about 300 motorbikes though, a good weekend for organ donation I expect.