Etape Caledonia - how hilly?

Comments

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Hi,
    Doing the Etape for the first time this year and also did my last (long) training run today

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175225813

Been keeping a keen eye on the weather, wouldnt mind a little bit of rain or cold, just hoping we dont get strong headwind on way out as that really seems to sap my legs!

What site do you find most reliable for forecasting?
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Hi guys, just been over Sma Glen then Glen Quaich. Snow then hale then some more snow and just wee bit of gentle rain. The long range forecast isn't great so bring your ski goggles! Starting wave O 6 58 am.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Far too early to predict what the weather could be like just now. Get a better idea mid week I guess, I use MWIS for my hillwalking and they are usually very good.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    d4evr wrote:
    Far too early to predict what the weather could be like just now. Get a better idea mid week I guess, I use MWIS for my hillwalking and they are usually very good.

Definitely, MWIS are always good - you're better off looking at their mountain forecast, and then adjusting for the difference in the glens, than any other forecast I know of: including the met office, although I would say they come next.

Here's their forecast for next weekend:
    Starting unsettled in southern areas with further rain likely, but somewhat brighter in the north, if with a few showers. During the first part of next weekend the brighter weather spreads south and east to all areas, but at the same time cloudier and wetter conditions move into the northwest. Temperature will tend to be below normal in the north, but around normal or above in the south. During the rest of the weekend and the first part of next week, the weather become predominately more westerly, with periods of cloud and rain interspersed with drier and clearer spells, which could allow some frosts overnight.

All depends what "northwest" means - could be just the west coast, could be pretty much all Scotland.

I would say that westerlies are better than easterlies: harder on the first leg, but easterlies give you a tough flog for most of the last 25 miles which definitely feels worse.
  • d4evr
    bompington wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

Definitely, MWIS are always good - you're better off looking at their mountain forecast, and then adjusting for the difference in the glens, than any other forecast I know of: including the met office, although I would say they come next.

Here's their forecast for next weekend:
    Starting unsettled in southern areas with further rain likely, but somewhat brighter in the north, if with a few showers. During the first part of next weekend the brighter weather spreads south and east to all areas, but at the same time cloudier and wetter conditions move into the northwest. Temperature will tend to be below normal in the north, but around normal or above in the south. During the rest of the weekend and the first part of next week, the weather become predominately more westerly, with periods of cloud and rain interspersed with drier and clearer spells, which could allow some frosts overnight.

All depends what "northwest" means - could be just the west coast, could be pretty much all Scotland.

I would say that westerlies are better than easterlies: harder on the first leg, but easterlies give you a tough flog for most of the last 25 miles which definitely feels worse.

They have this area almost spot on most of the time IMO, usually check Tayside/Angus most days for my local weather and they do get it right most of the time. I am praying for a Westerly and if I am really greedy (which I am :wink: ) a SW. :D
  • bompington
    d4evr wrote:
    I am praying for a Westerly and if I am really greedy (which I am :wink: ) a SW. :D
    What we actually need is for the north-easterlies to hold until about 8:30, then swing abruptly west, dying down a bit at 9:30, before turning SW at about 10. Not too much to ask I reckon.
  • d4evr
    bompington wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    I am praying for a Westerly and if I am really greedy (which I am :wink: ) a SW. :D
    What we actually need is for the north-easterlies to hold until about 8:30, then swing abruptly west, dying down a bit at 9:30, before turning SW at about 10. Not too much to ask I reckon.

Nope, I could live with that! In fact I have the prayer mat out in front of the laptop as we speak!! :oops:
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Garryboy wrote:
    Hi,
    Doing the Etape for the first time this year and also did my last (long) training run today

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175225813

Been keeping a keen eye on the weather, wouldnt mind a little bit of rain or cold, just hoping we dont get strong headwind on way out as that really seems to sap my legs!

What site do you find most reliable for forecasting?

I only did 25 today. Feeling a bit sick now.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Was near dunkeld today and had a few hours spare so decided to go up schiehallion way. just about froze my baws off in the snow, rain and hail when i got up,coldest ive been on the bike for years!

First time ive done the ascent from the south, a good bit harder than the 2 northern way, maybe due to the conditions though
  • Garryboy
    I have a quandry over accomodation / getting there. I have a cheap room booked at Spital of Glenshee hotel Sat night, although its still a jaunt from there to Pitlochry, it would still be quicker than driving up from Glasgow on Sunday morning.

Anybody stayed there or know the area?
  • d4evr
    Garryboy wrote:
    I have a quandry over accomodation / getting there. I have a cheap room booked at Spital of Glenshee hotel Sat night, although its still a jaunt from there to Pitlochry, it would still be quicker than driving up from Glasgow on Sunday morning.

Anybody stayed there or know the area?

Yip, know the area well. A bit of a jaunt yes not too bad though about 24 miles away I'd say, back down the Glen take a right onto the B950 heading for Kirkmichael, turn right at Kirkmichael onto the A924 through Glen Brerachan and over the Moulin Moor, mind the sheep/lambs!! Could be worse I am heading up from Dundee to sign in Saturday then back again on Sunday morning.
  • Garryboy
    Cheers, been having another look this morning and - guess due to cancellations - managed to book a single room in the Royal Dunkeld. Bit closer and just a jaunt up A9 a bit more expensive but includes breakfast.
  • d4evr
    Garryboy wrote:
    Cheers, been having another look this morning and - guess due to cancellations - managed to book a single room in the Royal Dunkeld. Bit closer and just a jaunt up A9 a bit more expensive but includes breakfast.

Yip that will be a breeze now, 10/15 minutes up the A9!
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Garryboy wrote:

Enjoy the Royal, used to be my local as a teenager. Watch out for the inbreeds though!!!
  • Garryboy
    Cheers - plan to be a good boy sat night, big plate of pasta and an early night!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Was near dunkeld today and had a few hours spare so decided to go up schiehallion way. just about froze my baws off in the snow, rain and hail when i got up,coldest ive been on the bike for years!

First time ive done the ascent from the south, a good bit harder than the 2 northern way, maybe due to the conditions though
    The Met Office is a pretty good site for the Etape as one of their main weather reporting stations is at Finnart at the West end of Loch Rannoch. Just type in Finnart to their location search on the home page, whatever the weather is like there is pretty much what it will be like for the whole route, the only place it will be colder (by a couple of degrees + windchill) is over the shoulder of Schiehallion. Mind you the wind will be assisting on the way up.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    I love the fact so many people on here are quick to point out how easy this ride is.
    If you an average sportive rider try doing it in under 4 hours, or even 4.30(my target) and show me you are not knackered at the finish.
    Just because it is not some ego massaging grind with thousands of feet of climbing does not mean it is not a challenge. If you happy to spin round and take in the scenery it is not too taxing, set yourself a time and GBO from the start (making the most of those glorious closed roads) and also depending on the weather, and it can be a tough ride.
    Personally, I like the fact it is flat on the last third of the route, makes a change to be able to get yourself in a chain gang and go for it, most sportives in the uk don't allow for this because the climbs keep coming.
    Plus, it is one of the best organised rides I have entered, and the location is stunning.
  • It will be very easy in the rain and wind on Sunday - that's the challenge....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - the weather is going to be proper Highland weather from what I'm seeing - at least I'll feel right at home head down into the pouring rain.... :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yup - the weather is going to be proper Highland weather from what I'm seeing - at least I'll feel right at home head down into the pouring rain.... :roll:

Think of those poor sods doing the Bealach...................................
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    The Crofter, where are the worse areas on the course for standing water?
  • bompington
    Stedman wrote:
    Here's the Pitlochry high street during a recent shower:
    River_Tummel_in_spate_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1251284.jpg
  • meanredspider
    bompington wrote:
    Stedman wrote:
    Here's the Pitlochry high street during a recent shower:

Even if I put the full guards on the Volagi, it'll struggle with that... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Couple of the descents could be a bit dodgy in the wet...cant remember where it is exactly but there is a steep bit with a hairpin after tummel bridge and the road surface around it can get quite greasy with the trees.

Just had a look at the map and there is a sprint section this year...thats potential carnage too if there are some riders are going for it and others not!
  • meanredspider
    Couple of the descents could be a bit dodgy in the wet...cant remember where it is exactly but there is a steep bit with a hairpin after tummel bridge and the road surface around it can get quite greasy with the trees.

Just had a look at the map and there is a sprint section this year...thats potential carnage too if there are some riders are going for it and others not!

I'll need to be careful with my disc brakes too - don't want to be rear-ended :shock:
  • d4evr
    Still far too early to be predicting the weather forecast for around these parts in my experience, a couple of days before hand possibly but not before. http://www.mwis.org.uk/ What will be will be! :shock:
  • thecrofter
    Stedman wrote:
    The weather is looking proper manky. There could well be some sleet/snow over Schiehallion, it will most likely be wet elsewhere and the wind looks like being around 20mph from WSW. Firstly, dealing with the standing water thing. Basically any downhill section should be treated with care (but you all knew that!) the bits I will be looking out for are the descent with the sharp hairpin just after the climb at Dunalastair (Mile 16.7), obviously, the descent of Schiehallion (there are parts of this that are deceptive, there's a sharp fast corner just before Braes of Foss mile 48, then on the second half of the descent proper there's a hairpin at mile 53.2, then once you get to the bottom at Coshieville you take a sharp right turn towards Fortingall, it's always gritty and off camber, but wet too! :shock: ) If you watch out for them you should be OK, the rest of the course is pretty flat and large puddles can form but there's not really anywhere you'll be approaching at speed and unsighted. As for the wind, the first 20 miles to Kinloch Rannoch are fairly sheltered although you are heading into the wind, mostly it will be OK. the north side of the Loch is a bit more open in patches and that will be a more difficult 10 miles. The toughest bit IMHO will be the four miles up the loop through Fortingall which is flat, open and straight into the wind and you've done 55 miles.
    Wrap up warm!
  • thecrofter
    Boleynboy wrote:
    I love the fact so many people on here are quick to point out how easy this ride is.
    If you an average sportive rider try doing it in under 4 hours, or even 4.30(my target) and show me you are not knackered at the finish.
    Just because it is not some ego massaging grind with thousands of feet of climbing does not mean it is not a challenge. If you happy to spin round and take in the scenery it is not too taxing, set yourself a time and GBO from the start (making the most of those glorious closed roads) and also depending on the weather, and it can be a tough ride.
    Personally, I like the fact it is flat on the last third of the route, makes a change to be able to get yourself in a chain gang and go for it, most sportives in the uk don't allow for this because the climbs keep coming.
    Plus, it is one of the best organised rides I have entered, and the location is stunning.
    I think a lot of people believe that because the Etape is in the Highlands there will be lots of scary big hills. The truth is you'd probably struggle to find 80 flatter miles anywhere in the Highlands. I'm not saying it's easy per se, but if you are unfamiliar with the route don't over stress about the hills (every novice I've taken round the roads always says it's not as bad as they were expecting). I agree with you, if you are a novice the fact that it's 80 miles will be a challenge on it's own and if you are more experienced then it's as tough as you want to make it, I'll be knackered at the end 'cos that's the way I do it, even if I do say to myself I'll take it easy :D .
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    With the high probability of lots of rain and wind I'm more worried about crashes than the actual weather and I reckon they'll be in the first 20 miles - lots of jostling at the start on the winding climb up to Queen's View. I don't think the best bike will be getting a crack at the route this year :-(
  • Uggi
    Uggi Posts: 24
    Well i think its hilly, but appreciate to some its not all have different standards of abaility and fitness. If you say a fat bloke (22st) on a van nicholas wish me luck. Most of you will never see me as 7:18 wave and i doubt if ill over take anyone.

Aim is one not to crash and two to finish. To all those taking part good luck and have fun.