Rider other side of road....look over........NO REACTION..!!

1235»

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Was he pointing at his frame saying 'look at these decals' :?:
  • ShutUpLegs
    DF33 wrote:
    I have to get off every time and give them a man hug. Is this why my average is only 7mph?

Who cares about averages, it's all about the form
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Was he pointing at his frame saying 'look at these decals' :?:

Was it ezyrider?
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Had a rider say good morning to me on a ride not too long ago. It was cool because I am very young for a road cyclist and would normally be ignored. Once more, the other cyclist looked mega professional. The guy was muscly as hell and wore all the racing jerseys and an expensive bike.
    I boosts your spirits when you're out there, especially if you find yourself struggling along :)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Wobbler72
    Wobbler72 Posts: 31
    You should worry.

I've recently weaned myself off riding high powered motorcycles. More than once I have forgotten that my current steed is self propelled and nodded across the road at a passing superbike. I don't half get some funny looks :)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Best riding day EVER for me today.

A whole riding club came the other way and everyone of them said hello. I was on such a high I beat my best average speed by 0.8 mph (at least that was what I am putting my new found speed down to) :mrgreen: .
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    Had a rider say good morning to me on a ride not too long ago. It was cool because I am very young for a road cyclist and would normally be ignored. Once more, the other cyclist looked mega professional. The guy was muscly as hell and wore all the racing jerseys and an expensive bike.
    I boosts your spirits when you're out there, especially if you find yourself struggling along :)

Careful Josh. Muscular men waving enthusiastically at young boys in lycra never ends well. Just keep pedalling.
  • ShutUpLegs
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Best riding day EVER for me today.

A whole riding club came the other way and everyone of them said hello. I was on such a high I beat my best average speed by 0.8 mph (at least that was what I am putting my new found speed down to) :mrgreen: .

See, friendly lot us roadies :lol:
  • kluens
    kluens Posts: 5
    Being new cycling I must say I do like it when i'm acknowledged by other riders. I tend to do the majority of my riding solo in North Yorkshire, very rare anyone doesn't give a nod or a wave and for the most part I try to do the same.

These past few weeks i've been waiting for a shifter to be replaced under warranty so the fixie has been keeping the miles coming in, there was one guy who laughed out loud when we passed, I guess Rapha rain jacket, nike hi-tops and a very, very cheap bike must have looked a daft!
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Just about everybody nods or smiles or whatever that i pass, except for one guy. He just plain blanks me, and its not cos hes on a bike that it annoys me. It's always first thing in the morning, country lane, two geezers out in the open air passing by a few feet from each other, it's just plain good manners to acknowledge each other.

I reckon hes got himself in a trap, i used to ride a hybrid with front suspension. Hes a roadie. He ignored me first time, now hes got to carry on doing it even though im on a road bike now. Or hes just ignorant. Or shy.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Well I never have an issue. I smile and nod, or wave at everyone, and 99% of the time get a response. Yesterday I rode past a group in an organised evert who were crawling up a hill, most of them acknowledged me. Those that didn't were chewing the front tyre, so I think that's acceptable :lol:

I guess that there must be something about th erea that makes everybody friendly............ either that, or everybody loves me ? :lol:

Anyway, I don't know what the issue is. If you want to say hello to everyone, then do so, but don't be suprised if not everyone responds. You'll see a lot of "Why's that guy on the bike waving at me" looks. However, I see nothing wrong with acknowledging someone who's sharing the same pass time, but just because they're riding a bike doesnt' mean it's their passtime.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    I'm gonna start being extra friendly to every other cyclist I meet form now on and keep track of the responses :)
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    I stopped today at the roadside for a drink and to rest my ass and a guy rode by said hello and asked if I was ok before passing on - in my experience other riders are pretty mcuh always friendly nod or wave but if anyone isn't/doesn't who cares.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    About 8-10 lads went past me yesterday all with there team kit on :lol:
    and totally blanked me............
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yeah, but they were a team, that means that they (thought that) they were superior to you. :roll: :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    I can't help but say 'morning' to other cyclists...no matter what time of day it is...cyclists and old people... That and a nonchalant flick of the head and fingers on the right hand.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Which, and how many fingers ? ;)
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yeah, but they were a team, that means that they (thought that) they were superior to you. :roll: :lol:
    You mean they had their heads up their ass then :lol: :roll:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I can't help but say 'morning' to other cyclists...no matter what time of day it is...cyclists and old people... That and a nonchalant flick of the head and fingers on the right hand.
    Yes, I find the open-hand gesture is the best, especially when in the drops. Difficult to tell the difference between a nod and a bump, and I don't have oxygen to spare for wassailing all and sundry.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • ShutUpLegs
    rob21 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    You mean they had their heads up their ass then :lol: :roll:

Maybe they were just focused on their training
  • nick_1978
    nick_1978 Posts: 34
    edited October 2012
    :!: :D
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    DF33 - that was funny man